Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Venison recipes

3,287 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tanya 93
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for some different ways to prepare venison backstrap, cutlets, roasts, steaks, etc. What do you like (other than battered and fried)?

I know I can google recipes, but would like to see what the board has to say as well...
HTownAg98
This one is always a hit.
http://blogs.kqed.org/essentialpepin/2011/09/18/venison-steaks-in-sweet-sour-sauce/
Player To Be Named Later
AG
We've had this twice now and I'll never chicken fry another backstrap again. It is amazing.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/other-main-course/tender-venison-loin-london-broil-style.html
Max06
AG
I made venison stroganoff tonight. It's pretty good.

I've also made Philly cheesesteaks that were delicious.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm probably going to try one of these this weekend and see how it goes.
schmellba99
AG
Bacon wrap and then chicken fry - makes a hell of a good steak IMO.

I also like to take back strap roasts and make this recipe. I do cut down on the brown sugar though - the firs time I made it I thought it came out way too sweet, so i cut the brown sugar in half and I like it a lot better that way. Last time I made it I also added melted butter to the marinade and I really liked how it came out.
[url=http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-bacon-wrapped-venison-tenderloin-139664][/url]
Bacon wrapped roast

I also do some really simple things - take a back strap and cut it into 1/2" thick medallions, salt, pepper and usually some garlic and thyme, then sear for about 45 seconds on each side in a cast iron pan with olive oil. Very simple, but very tasty - just don't go past med rare!
ajn142
AG
I've had good luck doing a stirfry with thin sliced backstrap, which is awesome, and grind, which mixed very well in the gigantic batch of fried rice I made. Could probably do it with other cuts as well, I just haven't had the chance to try it.
AggieChemist
AG
Take a small inner loin.

Dry rub of choice, wrap in bacon. Brown in cast iron skillet using either lard, shortening or bacon grease until bacon is set.

Transfer to 400 degree oven and cook until venison hits internal temp of 125.

Rest, slice into 2" medallions, and serve with a nice horseradish crme sauce.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
quote:
Take a small inner loin.

Dry rub of choice, wrap in bacon. Brown in cast iron skillet using either lard, shortening or bacon grease until bacon is set.

Transfer to 400 degree oven and cook until venison hits internal temp of 125.

Rest, slice into 2" medallions, and serve with a nice horseradish crme sauce.

Can't go wrong by adding bacon... I usually cook the tenderloin within an hour or so of skinning the deer.

I coat the tenderloin in Salt and freshly cracked pepper, wrap in bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy. Sometimes I add cream cheese and jalapeo to the mix... It is delicious.

I typically cook back strap for 18hr at 131F in my sous vide then batter and fry until golden brown... They come out perfect every time and can easily be cut with a fork.
Chickenhawk
This thread needed a bump.

I've got about 1 1/2 pounds of tenderloin medallions i want to prepare for supper...keep the suggestions coming!
Tanya 93

Tanya 93
Tanya 93 said:

GeorgiaAg85 said:

This thread needed a bump.

I've got about 1 1/2 pounds of tenderloin medallions i want to prepare for supper...keep the suggestions coming!

I make a curried meatball my son loves. You can also do it with thinly sliced steak or chicken.

I also cook them with BBQ sauce and serve them on top of cheese grits
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.