Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Victorinox Chef's Knife

8,117 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
Agasaurus Tex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cook's Illustrated claims this is their highest rated knife for the last 20 years. For approx. $34 on Amazon I bought one. Sharpest knife I've ever owned. It cuts through everything like butter. Anyone else ever owned one and can vouch for durability?
FIDO*98*
AG
Spend $35 on a 8" chef's knife and $100 on a worksharp and you'll be set for years. Who cares about durability, just buy a new one if you need to. That said, mine's at least 10 years old and going strong
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Good to know. Thanks.
....and your Spanish/Mexican rice recipe rocks.
La Fours
AG
WorkSharp on Amazon Prime for $69.95
Joe Exotic
AG
We have 5 or 6 different victorinox knives. Absolutely love them. The 12" slicer is awesome with a brisket.
bam02
AG
I've used one for years.

A few years ago I bought a bunch and the plastic blade covers for them at Ace Mart and have them out as gifts. Nice for traveling to condos, etc to have a good knife when preparing meals on vacation.
TMfrisco
AG
Had one a long time with no issues.
Cooks Illustrated/ATK is the best place to go for any kitchen equipment recommendations. In the past, they did not take advertising money and all their recommendations were from hours and hours of testing. I did notice, with Chris Kimball leaving, I received emails from them around Christmas time with deals on equipment they recommended. Not sure if they are actually taking money from those manufacturers or just passing along deals.
bkag9824
AG
Agreed - didn't realize Chris left though.
Dumpster Fire
quote:
Good to know. Thanks.
Link?
TMfrisco
AG
quote:
Agreed - didn't realize Chris left though.
2016 Seasons are already filmed with him.
Big publisher bought Cooks Illustrated and Kimball left over "Creative Differences". He still maintains an ownership stake however.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
quote:
quote:
Good to know. Thanks.
Link?
fido98 red chile rice with cilantro

1Tbsp Vegetable oil
1/4 onion finely diced
1 medium clove garlic minced
2tsp chile powder (Homemade or labeled Pure or New Mexico)
1tsp cumin
1Tsp salt
1 Tbls Tomato paste
1 Cup long grain rice
2 Cups Chicken broth
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

In a preferably non-stick sauce pan saute onion in oil until tender. Add everything else except broth and cilantro and saute 1 minute more. Add Broth and bring to a simmer on high heat. Cover pot and turn heat to low. Set timer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat. Do not remove lid for another 10 minutes and let rice steam. Remove lid, add cilantro and fluff rice.
Dumpster Fire
Gracias!
crag
AG
I have one. Sharp as a razor. Love it!

Cannot speak to durability though. Haven't had it long.
ags1995
AG
I have always placed my trust in Texags. I bought the sharpener tonight on sale. I do hope you guys are right as my wife will kill me- $76 was the cost! I was an animal science major and have since lost my skills, I need help!
bigtruckguy3500
I also have the knife. I love it. Got one for my mom as well.

If you're in the market for one, I'd also recommend reading this article and consider this knife. Like this website, and the article made some compelling arguments for the knife it is endorsing. But at twice the price, I just didn't find it worth it for my needs.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-cheap-chefs-knives-misen-equipment-review.html
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
I have always placed my trust in Texags. I bought the sharpener tonight on sale. I do hope you guys are right as my wife will kill me- $76 was the cost! I was an animal science major and have since lost my skills, I need help!

Show her the Ken Onion version and how much money you saved.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:

If you're in the market for one, I'd also recommend reading this article and consider this knife. Like this website, and the article made some compelling arguments for the knife it is endorsing. But at twice the price, I just didn't find it worth it for my needs.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-cheap-chefs-knives-misen-equipment-review.html

I bought one of the Misen's from their kickstarter last fall. Can't wait to get it.
aggiesherpa
AG
I have a chef friend who speaks very highly of the people behind Misen. I look forward to trying one out
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
quote:

I bought one of the Misen's from their kickstarter last fall. Can't wait to get it.
Please post a review when you get it. If it's really that awesome I might spring for it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Will do. They've pushed back delivery to June or so due to the overwhelming response they got to the kickstarter.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Will do. They've pushed back delivery to June or so due to the overwhelming response they got to the kickstarter.

And pushed it back now to August. Such is the kickstarter life.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Question about the worksharp, Can I use it on my Japanese knives (MAC and Tsukjii Masamoto)? I have been using a wetstone but its kinda of a pain in the ass.
Sazerac
AG
My aunt works for Victornox. She sent me a Shun chefs knife as a gift. If that tells you anything.
Gator2_01
AG
I just sold my Shun Kramer to get a Takeda if that tells you anything.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
My aunt works for Victornox. She sent me a Shun chefs knife as a gift. If that tells you anything.
That she would feel guilty about giving you something that costs her $0?
bigtruckguy3500
Just cut myself with my Victorinox. Didn't even feel it until I was cleaning up and hit it with soap.
BlueMiles
Vernada
AG
Got a work sharp this weekend. Mybl Wusthof's weren't this sharp out of the box. Scary sharp. Zero effort.
Texker
AG
Warther....Made in USA...damn good..24+ years on a set

https://www.warthercutlery.com/
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
Just cut myself with my Victorinox. Didn't even feel it until I was cleaning up and hit it with soap.

Same here. I've cut myself pretty bad on my victorinox just by brushing against them on the counter. Recently got a deboning knife from them and it's basically a razor with a kitchen knife handle.
Tursiops93
AG
Got one of these Sani-Safe basic 12" chef knives from a restaurant I worked at in college....20+ years ago. Cost is around $35-40. I have other good knives but I always grab for this one. I use a basic counter sharpener on it and always has a great edge. Just to show $$$$ is not always better.
bigtruckguy3500
Interesting ceramic knife I might look into - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kytcho/kytcho-sharpness-redefined-chef-knife-made-in-the?ref=FundedToday&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=13dsa.fnd.to
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Interesting ceramic knife I might look into - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kytcho/kytcho-sharpness-redefined-chef-knife-made-in-the?ref=FundedToday&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=13dsa.fnd.to
holy crap. The script for that video sounds like it was written in Chinese, translated through 2003's babblefish to spanish and then translated to english by a chinese guy.
ChipFTAC01
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Quote:

And pushed it back now to August. Such is the kickstarter life.

Knife is in the mail!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.