Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Thermometer on kickstarter

31,840 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SpiderDude
Ham Slice MRE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Howdy,
Here's a coupon you can use to take 15% off any purchase made on meater.com!
Since your MEATER Block is still a few months away from being delivered, we wanted to offer you the chance to order single unit MEATERs at a discounted rate. Thank you so much for supporting our campaign.
Log onto our website, meater.com, and enter the coupon code featured below to receive 15% off of your total order. Orders for single unit probes will ship immediately.
The promotion ends August 31st, so act fast!
Thanks for being so loyal, and we can't wait to see you start cooking with MEATER!
Two Down
AG
At least you got the coupon, I didn't even get the courtesy of that particular reach around
AggieChemist
AG
This thread delivers.

Unlike the people who have yet to bring you THE MEATER.

/rimshot
Dr.Rumack
Got mine today!
TexAg91
AG
My single meater arrived last week, but have not tried it yet. Still waiting on block with 4 probes.
Duncan Idaho
I've been using mine. It works well but the range pretty much sucks. So I have to keep my old tablet near the grill.
Philip J Fry
AG
What's the power source on this thing? Can't imagine you'd stick a battery inside a grill/oven.
Sazerac
AG
Battery in the wooden base recharges the probe.
It's pretty slick.

Seems the main complaint is the Bluetooth range and interference from smokers and grill lids.

Having the block placed nearby allows a constant connection and then your phone/app can always stay connected.
Philip J Fry
AG
So there's a rechargeable battery in the probe?
Sazerac
AG
Id guess it's probably a capacitor and not any normal type of battery - there doesn't appear to be any room - but not positive.

It just has to power temp sensors and the Bluetooth.

Fairview
AG
I got my meater block today. Only took three years and a month. Looking forward to using it and hopefully it works.
RK
AG
Quote:

Fairview
1:20a, 9/25/15

AG

Thanks for posting. I got one too. Will be a nice surprise for myself in 6 months after I forget I ordered it.
ha...
Duncan Idaho
I bought one to give as a wedding gift. They split up before it got delivered
plowboy1065
S
Dec will be 3 years for me waiting on the block and I don't see it getting here to sometime in 2019
Sazerac
AG
About to hit 3 years.

Gave the probe as a gift. Bluetooth doesn't work through a Weber lid so I'm not holding out much hope.
Leeman
A friend and I have developed a cloud based unit which connects to your wifi network (which is more reliable and has greater range). The data is sent directly to a cloud server. You can monitor and set/receive notifications from your phone, tablet, or PC. We support real time graphing and you can bring up old cook sessions anytime.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1116765378/precision-bbq-wifi-temperature-food-probe?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=precision%20bbq
plowboy1065
S
I opted out of the block for 2 Meater Plus. Email said delivery of Block during 1st Qt of 2019. Meater Plus has already shipped and will be here next week. Anyone else swapped out?
Fairview
AG
I didn't swap and they sent the block a week later. Who knows with these guys if that's the norm or not.
plowboy1065
S
I was just tired of waiting on the dang thing. If the Bluetooth repeater makes it that much better then I'll buy more probes if needed. How does the block work?
Fairview
AG
So far so good but I've only used it a couple times.
Sazerac
AG
My block is finally shipping next week. Over 3 years!
TexAg91
AG
Got the notice that mine should ship...this year. Or maybe it's this month. Does it really matter after three years?
RK
AG
can't you guys that are still waiting just buy one online and "return it" when the kickstarter one comes in?
Sazerac
AG
Finally got my block in.

Can't believe this thing uses 4 double AA batteries!! Couldn't use a rechargeable LiOn pack??
Sazerac
AG
And mine is a total POS.

Can't get the block to download new SW.
Finally - after 20+ attempts - got the probes to register on bluetooth once.

But still can't get the probes to register again or connect to the block. There is no communication happening at all.

Just a completely garbage product.
hbc07
AG
Got mine within the last week. Finally taking it out for a spin on a turkey breast. No problems getting it set up. Seems to be working fine.

Was a birthday present from the wife... ordered in 2015.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
I've used mine a couple times thus far and results have been great!
Two Down
AG
An update on mine - it sucks out loud and I hate it and the company. Can't get it to connect properly to multiple mobile devices, probes give different readings even sitting side by side in the block, I've reached out to support and still no response 4 days later.

Buyer beware (especially on Kickstarter) but this thing is essentially a paperweight.
hbc07
AG
Biggest issue I seem to have with mine is connectivity between the block and the probe. Using a kettle grill, i can have the block 4 feet away on a table and it will lose connection about 50% of the time.

When it's not losing connection it seems like it works great.
Sazerac
AG
MEATER Gabe me a new block that works, but it doesn't work well for my setup.

Cross post for sale

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3119899/replies/56798064#56798064
Sazerac
AG
Nvm already sold
aggieforester05
AG
I ordered a coolest cooler on Kickstarter in 2014. Was just told a few months ago that they won't be mailing it and offered a $20 refund of the $187 initial purchase if I send them my bank account info. Good luck guys!
SpiderDude
AG
aggieforester05 said:

I ordered a coolest cooler on Kickstarter in 2014. Was just told a few months ago that they won't be mailing it and offered a $20 refund of the $187 initial purchase if I send them my bank account info. Good luck guys!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolest_Cooler#:~:text=The%20Coolest%20Cooler%20was%20a,funded%20Kickstarter%20campaign%20of%202014.

Interesting read. It's always fascinating to read about colossal business failures. Takes me back to my MBA days.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.