Donation need to the Corps Center

5,588 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Trident15
TXAggieMom11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I want to pass on a need I was made aware of from the Sanders Corps Center. They are in great need of Sam Brown Belts. If there are any former Corps members that wouldn't mind parting with theirs it will be put to good use. They also will take any senior boots for the boot loan program. Approximately 20% of the seniors are wearing borrowed boots, many of them are in the veterans unit. Please contact Lisa Kalmus at the Corps Center, 979-862-2862.
F4GIB71
I wore my boots in '71, then my brother did in '74. They sat around gathering dust for 40 years. I donated them last year. I met the cadet who is wearing them this year at my 45 year class reunion. Glad I did and think it is a great program.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Mine are there ! Hope a Senior got to use them !
Trident15
AG
As a brigade commander that didn't have my own Sam Browne Belt, I can attest to what a relief it is to be able to rent them from the Corps Center. College is expensive. An Aggie Ring and Senior Boots alone runs over $2000 which doesn't leave a whole lot of money left for Sam Browne belt and saber. Being able to rent just gave me one less thing to worry about. Plus, being able to meet my donor made it an honor to march knowing that I was honoring someone's legacy each time.
74OA
AG
IMO if a cadet is appointed to a staff or command position, the required sam browne and sabre should be issued to them if they choose to not purchase and own those articles. Any major nonexpendable item required to fulfill cadet duties should be issued by the administration and returned upon graduation, just like uniforms.
74OA
AG
Is the Commandant broadcasting this in his next few Corps newsletters?
Ol Jock 99
AG
I wonder if my old one is still floating around. Lost track of it after a few generations.
Swing Your Saber
What's the life cycle on boots through the Corps Center? How many years do you typically get out of a pair? Have you noticed a difference between Hollicks & Victors? Third party boots?
TXAggieMom11
I have no idea but it would be great if he did.

To expand on your first comment; I believe most outfits do have a Sam Brown and saber for the CO as do the major units. There are more needed for Corps staff and major unit staff. Also, for those units that earn Officer of the Day for games need Sam Browns. With retention much higher than years earlier there are more seniors needing one on occasion.
TXAggieMom11
Those are great questions! The CCA should look into doing a story for the Guidon on the program.
Trident15
AG
Most outfits and major units do not have a Sam Browne and saber available to the commander. Saber? Yes, most of them. Sam Browne? No, not the majority.
Trident15
AG
That would be a great idea! I'm sure there ar many old Ags that aren't aware of the need. Being a recent grad, I don't have the extra cash yet (student loans suck) but once I do I will definitely purchase some items to donate to the Corps Center.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.