Fish no longer carrying off yell leaders after win?

8,286 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
gigm09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This appears to be one more tradition diminished by the powers that be. After yesterday's home win, the yell leaders could only run a very short distance because the field was section off by officers. Once the fish ran like 20 yards to catch the yell leaders, they caught them but then had to put them back down. The yell leaders then did a few yells while the fish waited around. Then, the yell leaders appeared to walk out in front of the fish.

Why has another tradition been messed up? Please fix this so that the current fish can enjoy what those before them did. If the problem is the cannon was in the way, put it back where it was. This needs to be made right.
74OA
AG
?????????
gigm09
AG
Yeah, unless it is too small for me to see, I don't see them carrying yell leaders in that video. I see one on the ground. I was at the game and the fish set them back down. They did sone yells, and then it looked like the yell leaders walked out.
CharlieBrown17
AG
It's the same as last year.

Chase and tackle. Yell leaders are out down for victory yell. Then they go through the tunnels and the fish pick them back up to go to fish pond.

That's how it is to my knowledge at least. Haven't been a fish for a while.
gigm09
AG

Maybe I missed it last year. Why do they do a victory yell? The War Hymn was always the victory yell. Why don't they carry them out?

CharlieBrown17
AG
There has always been a victory yell it was just at fish pond. I think the goal is to have more people attend because no one besides fish every went to victory yell at fish pond.
k_beaman
AG
Victory Yell use to be held at the YMCA Building after the fish had dunked the Yell Leaders in Fish Pond. They moved Victory Yell to immediately following the game so that more Aggies would be able to participate.
74OA
AG
Note the Fish Pond photo at the bottom of page 6: Gameday
traxter
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aggiecorps/29507539645/in/album-72157670270382164/

Interesting to note that Corps fish seem almost completely absent in that pic. I think I see one. Did they not carry the yell leaders to the pond? Or did they drop them off and leave?
traxter
quote:

Maybe I missed it last year. Why do they do a victory yell? The War Hymn was always the victory yell. Why don't they carry them out?
Also, around the 49 second mark of that video, did the yell leader hit one of the fish?
CharlieBrown17
AG
My guess is those are non regs that got there first. fish brought the yell boys to the fountain, threw them in and are behind the camera because that's the side closest to Kyle field.
chickencoupe16
AG
quote:
quote:

Also, around the 49 second mark of that video, did the yell leader hit one of the fish?

He absolutely did. As far as why, my best guess is that the fish was trying to rip off one of his belt loops. Apparently it was a thing to steal parts of their uniform, even though it ultimately ruined the uniform which was quite expensive. This video was my fish year. I never tried to, but that was probably due to never being told to by upperclassmen. Of course, I was in a fairly tame outfit. I'm certain that the all male outfits without yell leaders encouraged this. By the end of the year, the yell boys had CTOs in close proximity, ready to swoop on should a thief appear. Obviously, I don't exactly know if this continued after my fish year, but it seemed to be eradicated by the end.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

He absolutely did. As far as why, my best guess is that the fish was trying to rip off one of his belt loops. Apparently it was a thing to steal parts of their uniform, even though it ultimately ruined the uniform which was quite expensive. This video was my fish year. I never tried to, but that was probably due to never being told to by upperclassmen. Of course, I was in a fairly tame outfit. I'm certain that the all male outfits without yell leaders encouraged this. By the end of the year, the yell boys had CTOs in close proximity, ready to swoop on should a thief appear. Obviously, I don't exactly know if this continued after my fish year, but it seemed to be eradicated by the end.
Funny.. I have a shredded t-shirt ripped from a yell leaders body. My buddies and I caught two our fish football season. We treated them just like we would a perspective quadding victim.. the harder they fought the worse it got for them. and we got more than a belt loop from both of them.

We also had a butt yell leader in my outfit my Zip year, Troy Ireland '87. Our fish were after his ass almost exclusively the whole season, it was almost as if they were "detailed" to do so for some reason.......
chickencoupe16
AG
Funny how the times how changed.
aggiejim70
AG
quote:
Funny how the times how changed.
Is it now? There was a near riot at Kyle Field at the 1st yell practice in 1968 when Gary Moreau (sp?) a non-reg yell leader came out with a Corps stack on his buckle. The fish were sent after him to get the buckle and stands emptied. It was on. Another great Aggie story they didn't tell you about at fish camp.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Centerpole90
AG
Talking about times changing.

Remember when running across Kyle during yell ended up in an ass whipping of epic proportions? With all of the yell crowd cheering it on?

I was telling CPjr about the Baylor game in ??? '86? maybe. It was one of the last yells that way because a couple of the Bear perpetrators woke up in hospital from what we heard. It's almost surreal describing it now - in the current environment.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
Talking about times changing.

Remember when running across Kyle during yell ended up in an ass whipping of epic proportions? With all of the yell crowd cheering it on?

I was telling CPjr about the Baylor game in ??? '86? maybe. It was one of the last yells that way because a couple of the Bear perpetrators woke up in hospital from what we heard. It's almost surreal describing it now - in the current environment.
The opponents cheer leaders were never allowed on the field during games either like they are now.

Have to hand it to them, Rice was always a threat for that prank.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.