Corps block late to game?

2,360 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by chickencoupe16
The Kraken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I noticed yesterday that the majority of the Corps block was not at their seats in time for the national anthem and the flyover. Was there an issue with getting back into Kyle after the march in?

On a related note, this seems to be an issue for the attending crowd at large. With the rising popularity of tailgating, more and more attendees are waiting until the last minute to get into Kyle instead of being there early.
CanyonAg77
AG
Were you there, or going off TV? The way TV pre-records and time-shifts segments, what you see is not necessarily in real time, at least until the actual kickoff.
The Kraken
AG
I was there at the game.
CanyonAg77
AG
Fair enough. Weren't there some new security screenings in place? That, and hot temps making people wait until the last minute to go in, may have led to a backup at the gates. Here's hoping they make adjustments before the next game.
gigm09
AG
I noticed this too. The lines were fairly long to get in.
aggieband 83
AG
Maybe the extra long "Campus March In" had them getting to Kyle later than normal.

http://corps.tamu.edu/campus-march-in/
CanyonAg77
AG
aggieband 83 said:

Maybe the extra long "Campus March In" had them getting to Kyle later than normal.
The OP was from a month ago, so, no.
DevilD77
AG
Well back in the day, for the most part, we never left Kyle Field after marching in. Humped it behind the South end zone and then went straight to our seats.
Aggie1
AG
I have seen elsewhere that once a year (for the last 3 years) the Corps has not marched into Kyle but rather has a circuitous route around the campus in an attempt to allow more visibility around campus before the game - and thus has to go through the same rigorous check-in that everyone else has. Their march outside only does not give them any better (or worse) opportunity than anyone else to get into Kyle - and thus - for this game only this year, it may appear they were late to their seats.

I noticed on the TV that they were much more interspersed with the student body and did not understand at the time, but assuming what I've been told is accurate, it makes sense.

Apparently in recent years there has been objections to the Corps marching into Kyle up to an hour early and not giving the tailgate laggards an opportunity to see them as much because they are reticent to leave their cozy tailgates early to watch the march-in - and thus this once a year deal...

If this is not accurate, maybe someone can explain it better?

FWIW, the Corps Block is considered a very positive attraction for us olds and visitors alike.
There were a couple of years back when the Corps was allowed to go change into civies after march-in and before game time. It did not go well for several reasons.
Warrior 66
For the last 3 years, we have chosen 1-2 games a year to do what we call the "March-in on Campus." Its been a big hit, as a LOT more people see the Corps outside the stadium than do inside the stadium - especially 1 1/2 hours prior to kick-off.

SEC rules state that once you enter the stadium, you cannot leave, and if you do, you cannot re-enter. That means that many people choose NOT to enter the stadium to watch the Corps march-in, choosing instead to tailgate and watch the Corps march down Joe Route Blvd and then Houston Street before entering the stadium. For that reason, we started doing the campus march-in for 1-2 games a year, to give more people a chance to see the Corps. And it DOES give MANY more people a chance to see the Corps, including visiting team tailgaters on Simpson Drill Field.

However, regardless of whether we do the march-in to Kyle Field or around campus, the cadets must leave the stadium, and re-enter with their tickets, like the rest of the student body. Gone are the days when the Corps marched-in and STAYED in the stadium. Cadets march back to the Quad after the march-in, drop off Sam Browns, sabers, and guidons, and then must go back to the stadium and enter like all others. THAT is the dilemma for our cadets - NOT whether we march-in around the campus or march-in to Kyle Field.

FWIW - I am going to talk to the Athletic Dept about trying to fix this next year. No guarantees, as it takes a LONG time to get 105K+ fans into Kyle Field, especially when many wait until the last minute to enter the stadium, but we'll look at options to see if we can mitigate this issue for the Corps next year. Again, I can't promise it'll change much, but we're going to try.

I hope this clears up things for all. Thank for your support of our Corps! Beat the Hell Outta Alabama!
CharlieBrown17
AG
The big issue this weekend is that not all of the gates at the NE tower were open... It was a cluster to get in
chickencoupe16
AG
Also, the original OP was about the UCLA game which means it was every class' first game in their current role. Just takes longer when you're not used to something. Obviously, this would be especially true for the fish.

As far as why it's necessary to return to the Quad, you're not technically allowed to carry items in your pockets for march in; especially those that form an obvious bulge in the pants. This means that phones and wallets should be left behind. Obviously some people and some outfits don't care, but most do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.