My father

1,540 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I learned today that my dad received a bronze star while in service in Vietnam. He also received medals for meritorious service and something from the south Vietnamese government for his service.

He wasn't "in the ****"...he was in the Air Force in Da Nang. I understand many consider bronze stars and MSAs are considered just cupcake medals (especially when the star isn't accompanied by a "V" for valor). He doesn't talk about the war...I'm sure he knows his sacrifice wasn't as great as those who were shot at. However, I'm quite proud. I was proud when he was promoted to Lt. Colonel.

About the only stories he's told me are when he returned home and was spat on by people calling him a baby killer. They didn't know that he lost a wife and my two half brothers due to his service.

I'm mostly proud because he has NEVER bragged or talked about his service, never. Nothing against the fine men who wear the Vietnam hats, but my old man has been very quiet about his military record. I was so surprised today when my mom sent me his discharge papers and I saw what he accomplished. She didn't even know about the bronze star. Neither did I.

During the last years of his Air Force career, he was instrumental in the program to get the Turkish military the F-16. Afterwards, he worked for General Dynamics and Lockheed Martin on several programs with international governments to secure delivery of the F-16.

He retired from Lockheed about 12 years ago. Honestly, he was about the smartest man I've ever known. He was a hard father and a hard husband. He never indulged in anything for himself. I don't know how he did it, but he afforded a private school education for me and my brother.

In the past few years, his mental ability has been failing him. Apparently, his brain isn't draining fluid and it's caused some significant damage. He finds it difficult to choose the right words, his cognition is weak. The worst part is that it's not Alzheimer's or dementia and he is well aware of his failings.

It breaks my heart that a man who hosted foreign dignitaries is reduced to watching tv and searching for words. I told him today how proud I am of him, not only because of his accomplishments, but because of the stolid way in which he lived his life without boasting.

I'm not sure the point of this post...
Warrior 66
Respect to your father. As the son of a Korea War veteran - and former POW - I understand how you feel. You have EVERY RIGHT to be proud of your father. He sounds like a great man, and it certainly wasn't easy for most of our Viet Nam vets when they returned home to a nation that didn't appreciate their service. RESPECT.

Please thank your father for his distinguished service to our country - from another veteran.

God bless your father and your family. I'll be praying for him.
Cancelled
AG
Thank you.
champagnepapi
Much respect for a Vietnam Vet and a LTC. Takes a lot to reach those ranks.
Tango Mike
Thanks for sharing, and for caring enough to share
74OA
AG
God bless.....
sharpdressedman
There are many quiet heroes, and your dad is one of them. God bless him for his service.
Snooter
AG
In today's world of instagram likes and retweets it is sad to think that a whole generation of heroes who were so humble to not boast to their own families of their accomplishments is slowly slipping away from us.

My grandfather was on a minesweeper at Iwo Jima and I only got bits and pieces from him as he slipped into dementia. When I asked him what he saw and what it was like he tried to describe kamikaze's diving into the ocean around him using his hands and broken words.

Try what you can to learn from your dad and it doesn't have to be about war, but about life in general. Your kids will appreciate it some day, and we will all be better for it.
Wabs
AG
You telling him that you're proud of him probably meant the world to him. You're a good son for doing that.

I retired from the Marines two years ago. At the retirement ceremony, I gave a little speech mainly to recognize those that were in attendance and those that helped me along the way. The delivery of my speech was smooth - right up to the end when I had to thank my mom. Then I lost it. Tears streaming down this Marine's face as I thanked my mother for all that she sacrificed for me. I told her she was my hero. She told me afterwards that my words meant the absolute world to her.

Do not pass up the opportunity to thank your parents....
cuz-i-can
AG
My father doesn't speak of his time in Vietnam much and he spent 5 years there all together. He tells me that he randomly receives medals or commendations in the mail. He says that he receives them as they declassifies some of the things he did. I wasn't in the military and don't know if that is how it works. All I do is be supportive and wait until he opens up and shares some of the things he has seen on his terms.

I do know that he is my best friend and mentor. If I can be half the man and Father he is than I feel that I have accomplished something. I don't know why I am sharing this on this board either but I thought it was appropriate given previous posts. Thanks for reading.
HollywoodBQ
AG

quote:
I'm not sure the point of this post...
Thanks for sharing. It's funny what some of the old folks share/don't share and when they decide to share it.

I'm Class of '92. My father was Class of '59 (only lasted 1 semester at A&M) and spent his time in West Germany during the Cold War as a surveyor with a Top Secret clearance which qualified him to be attached to a Field Artillery unit putting in Nike missiles.

As a kid, he talked about some of the things he did in the Army and some of the shenanigans where he got in trouble. But, as he's gotten older, he's said a few more things here and there. In some cases, it was a thing that I wished I would have heard 20 years ago. We just celebrated his 80th birthday last month. And for the first time, he told me the real reason why he failed out of A&M - because he got registered for the wrong classes and didn't have anybody to let him know that he made a mistake until it was far too late.

Anyway, just yesterday, I was talking on the phone with him and out of the blue, he started telling me about being a fish in Fall of 1955 and groding out the fish band as they marched around the quad playing "Texas Fight". I was in the Aggie Band for 4 years (almost 25 years ago now) and this was the first time I'd ever heard that story. I found it fascinating (like many of the West Germany stories he's shared in recent years) but I wish I would have heard that story when I was a fish at A&M.

All I can say is keep him talking. You never know what he might remember and/or share with you that you never heard before. My grandmother died at age 93 and she talked more in her final 3 years about growing up in rural Minnesota than I ever would have known. Frankly, I think that was all she could remember at that point but again, it was fascinating to hear those stories. Good Luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.