FOW

3,275 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
corpusfishy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
does anyone know why the fish are wearing blue jeans as their FOW attire? Hasn't it always been khaki shorts? It seems like jeans would be miserable in College Station in August.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
does anyone know why the fish are wearing blue jeans as their FOW attire? Hasn't it always been khaki shorts? It seems like jeans would be miserable in College Station in August.
Actually, it was blue jeans before it became khaki shorts. Not sure when the change occurred. There are pictures out there of fish in blue jeans from the 80's or maybe 70's, don't have time to find them right now. My fish year was a particualrly hot year, and it was brutal in shorts. Texas only seems to be getting hotter since then. But jeans also look a little less dorky in my opinion.
3rdGenAg05
AG
IIRC, we wore jeans in 2001 until we got uniforms around Wednesday of FOW.
Just a few days ago was the 15 year anniversary of meeting my fish buddies. Great memories and great times ever since.
74OA
AG
I'm a military brat and I remember telling my fish buddies in those first weeks that, "They don't do any of this crazy cadet stuff (campusology, whipping out, privileges, etc.) in the military. It'll all blow over soon." I.was.wrong.
aggiejim70
AG
quote:
IIRC, we wore jeans in 2001 until we got uniforms around Wednesday of FOW.
Just a few days ago was the 15 year anniversary of meeting my fish buddies. Great memories and great times ever since.

Sometime in the next few days, I'll celebrate the 50th anniversary of meeting mine. We've gone through the cycle, Being part of each other weddings, godparents to each others kid and grandkids, and now, unfortunately answering for one after another at Muster.

74.....Don't feel like the lost ranger, they told that same story four years earlier.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
Old army fish clothes are blue jeans, white t shirt and low quarters, worn by my dad class of 58 and my class of 1987.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Old army fish clothes are blue jeans, white t shirt and low quarters, worn by my dad class of 58 and my class of 1987.
Me,too. Talk about dorky.
AEK
AG
quote:
quote:

This was our uniform 20 years ago in the fall of 96.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
quote:
you know you still sit around the house wearing a t shirt, shorts and black socks
93Spur
1989-1993.
FOW attire before putting on Bravos was white round neck t-shirt, blue jeans with black belt, white socks, low quarters. Looked like we had escaped from 1947.
Once uniforms were tried on, exchanged for proper size, and brass had cover removed, and you were taught how to wear, it became the uniform of the day.
Fish clothes then became button front collared shirt (no polos), white round neck t-shirt, blue jeans with black belt, white socks, and tennis shoes.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
quote:
And Class of '86
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
you know you still sit around the house wearing a t shirt, shorts and black socks
Heavens, no, I despised them.

However, I will admit being a little OCD about gig lines and having all my shirts hanging in the closet facing the same direction.
Chappy
AG
quote:
quote:
Don't forget the suck strap.
86sq6
Gig lines and having my clothes in the closet all facing the same way - I didn't think I'd ever hear someone else admit that.

What about asking your wife what the uniform is before you go out to a dinner, or some place where running shorts and shoes wouldn't be appropriate?

Thanks Canyon.
DevilD77
AG
quote:
1989-1993.
FOW attire before putting on Bravos was white round neck t-shirt, blue jeans with black belt, white socks, low quarters. Looked like we had escaped from 1947.
Once uniforms were tried on, exchanged for proper size, and brass had cover removed, and you were taught how to wear, it became the uniform of the day.
Fish clothes then became button front collared shirt (no polos), white round neck t-shirt, blue jeans with black belt, white socks, and tennis shoes.

We had a slightly different term for the protective coating on new brass when I was a fish! ;-)

And like CanyonAg77, I am fastidious about my gig line and pulling a tuck in my shirts.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Heavens, no, I despised them.

However, I will admit being a little OCD about gig lines and having all my shirts hanging in the closet facing the same direction.

not only are all my shirts hanging in the same direction, but I was able to get Cabela's hangers for all my shirts to hang on as well!
OldArmy71
AG

quote:
What about asking your wife what the uniform is before you go out to a dinner
I have been known to ask, "What's the uniform of the day?" causing puzzled looks.
A Person
AG
It was khaki shorts and tennis shoes my fish year (I'm class of '15). Changed to blue jeans and low quarters for either class of 16 or 17. Blue jeans were bad, but the number of destroyed feet I saw from running around and doing band rehearsal in poorly broken-in low quarters was awful. Plenty of fish that couldn't walk, I spent a good bit money of getting enough moleskins ect. to take care of the fish.

The Commandant, as per usual, didn't solicit cadet input on the decision. It might have been ok for the CTs, but it was hell for the BQ fish.
74OA
AG
A good Band commander would have temporarily authorized sneakers for band practice while the new low-quarters were getting broken in. I doubt the Commandant would have objected and even if he did, it's the type of prudent, on-scene decision unit commanders make and, if necessary, take the heat for. That's what they're there for.
A Person
AG
The work-around compromise was to alternate combat boots and low quarters, which was only divised after much push back from the Commandant's level, as I understand (I was a 1SG at the time, so I just heard the outcomes not the whole process). Still wasn't great, because you can still have plenty of issues with poorly broken in boots, but it at least gave the fish a prayer of building up polish layers on their low quarters before classes started. Tennis shoes were apparently absolutely out of the question, but brought up and asked for
74OA
AG
If true, I must say that I'm surprised at the Trigon's apparent involvement in such minutiae such as daily footwear. In my day, as worthless as such a reference now is, no unit commander would have even bothered to ask for permission to make such a minor decision, particularly if his fish were walking around with blistered feet and, if critiqued, he'd have expected his brigade/wing commander and the Corps commander to back his authority to the hilt.
ABATTBQ87
AG
By drill field uniform was fatigue pants, combat boots, white t-shirt and soft cover.

Can't believe that feet are more delicate today than 30+ years ago
Outlaw0206
AG

quote:

The Commandant, as per usual, didn't solicit cadet input on the decision. It might have been ok for the CTs, but it was hell for the BQ fish.

Haha Hate to break it to you, but he did. He talks with the MUCs about it, and they get the cadet opinion from COs, etc. I know when it first went to jeans it was combat boots, but soon everyone figured out that trying to break them was going to take time and regular shoes should be rotated with combat boots throughout the week.
Cadets love to blame things on the CTO's, etc. but in all honesty a fair amount was your fellow superior cadets trying to make it harder for you
74OA
AG
Good to hear.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:

Cadets love to blame things on the CTO's, etc. but in all honesty a fair amount was your fellow superior cadets trying to make it harder for you
So true. I remember when I was a zip on staff, one of my buddies accidentally got added to the email listserv of one of the fish classes in the Corps because of a similar email or something. They would periodically send out emails blaming Corps Staff for things that were 100% the CO's decisions. I think that the CO just wanted to blame Corps Staff for it because they're always an easy scapegoat, like the bulls, the commandant, etc.
Tango Mike
18 year old men and women need to rotate athletic shoes because boots/low quarters are too hard? Good grief America is getting soft. Hell, most combat boots are just tall athletic shoes anyway
Swing Your Saber
quote:
18 year old men and women need to rotate athletic shoes because boots/low quarters are too hard? Good grief America is getting soft. Hell, most combat boots are just tall athletic shoes anyway

100% Agree
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
quote:

So true. I remember when I was a zip on staff, one of my buddies accidentally got added to the email listserv of one of the fish classes in the Corps because of a similar email or something. They would periodically send out emails blaming Corps Staff for things that were 100% the CO's decisions. I think that the CO just wanted to blame Corps Staff for it because they're always an easy scapegoat, like the bulls, the commandant, etc.

Didn't have phones, computers or e-mail. How did we survive?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.