Korean War Veterans

838 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by lb sand
champagnepapi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I feel like the Korean War is tossed to the side a bit. We all know it doesn't get a lot of attention. And so be it as it is between WW2 and Vietnam.

I have been on the Peninsula since Jan and will depart Octoberish....Much respect for the Veterans that had to go to war in these weather conditions.

The winter was severe and punishing and the summer is so damn humid and sweltering. It makes Fort Benning and Fort Hood a pleasant place to train. Even August two a days in Houston would be fun. I read about one battle being in the -30 F. Some tough SOBs.
CanyonAg77
AG
An Aggie and high school classmate had a dad, class of '50, who served. His dad was even mentioned by name in a book by Colonel David Hackworth, I think it was Hackworth's About Face. Although Hackworth screwed up the college.

So if you read the book, and find Hackworth's glowing praise of a young LT named Stokes, from Oklahoma A&M, just mark out Oklahoma and write in Texas.
lb sand
AG
Another book you might find interesting is The Coldest War.
One of my buddy's dad is mentioned in the book. He served alongside John Chaffee before Chaffee became a senator.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.