Quad Renovation

29,708 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 2004FIGHTINTXAG
The Kraken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kudos to everyone involved....seeing this firsthand yesterday was impressive! It was refreshing seeing lush Bermuda grass and really nice landscaping. The facilities are awesome. Im jealous of the current cadets. Looking forward to seeing the finished quad next year.
74OA
AG
Anyone take any photos or clips on gameday?
armymom
Aggie1
AG
http://slyworksphotography.com/spawglass/tam-rotc-06aug2016
aggiejim70
AG
Army, the devils got ahold of me and I'm going to show my age. Question is, with all this beautification and concrete on the quad, do they still have Old Army water fights between the CT's and BQ's? If so, I can see somebody getting injured. Please advise, thanks in advance.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Fitch
AG
There was a water balloon fight back in August for FOW, it was just in Spence Park.

74OA
AG
Anyone know what the hard surface plan is for around Duncan during Phase 2? Will the walkways in front and on either side have the same brickwork patterns and color scheme as those in the Quad?
74OA
AG
Gameday photos, anyone?
ag-bq-seventy
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Quote:

so is that entire area going to be covered with bricks?
I believe the commandant posted on another thread stating that it would be bricked/paved over completely. Said something about drainage issues, inability to keep the grass alive, etc.

It looks kind of cool from an aerial view based off the sketches/models posted. But it also looks like it'll turn the quad into an oven in the summer.
The dome must come later.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Army, the devils got ahold of me and I'm going to show my age. Question is, with all this beautification and concrete on the quad, do they still have Old Army water fights between the CT's and BQ's? If so, I can see somebody getting injured. Please advise, thanks in advance.
My goodness those were fun.
Aggie1
AG
https://texags.com/forums/25/topics/2650619/23

New Band dorms discussion
74OA
AG
I think it's a huge mistake to move the Band off the Quad. There's already enough of a cultural divide between the Band and the rest of the Corps without exacerbating it with physical separation. I'd rather they expand the Quad by building additional dorms as needed on Haney Drill Field (after the Band's new drill field is completed behind Duncan) and preserve the entire Corps living together as a community. This is a hundred-year decision full of potentially bad unintended consequences for the Corps.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Will someone post a summary of the band discussion. Some of us peasants aren't premium subscribers. Thanks.
74OA
AG
See Pages 63-7
CanyonAg77
AG
The practice facility is being moved, are you sure about the Band?
74OA
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

The practice facility is being moved, are you sure about the Band?
See page 65 in the link I posted above. New music activity center, new drill field, new Band dorms--all off of the Quad.
CanyonAg77
AG
It said "additional" Corps housing. My interpretation is that they would put cadets there IF the Quad fills up. Cadets are off the Quad already. They are putting them in the Kruger Dunn Aston Mosher complex while the Corps dorms are being rebuilt.

These proposed dorms are not that far off the Quad, just across the street behind Duncan.

Not to mention, there used to be Corps dorms on the current Quad and on Military Walk and on Northside....and the Republic survived. Wouldn't it be a great problem to have, to have overflow from the current Quad?
74OA
AG
No, the proposed new Campus Master Plan linked above clearly labels the new off-Quad cadet dorms as additional Band housing. But the problem is not the distance the Band (or any other units) may potentially be relocated in absolute terms, it's the disruptive "out of sight, out of mind" effect from breaking up the Corps as a unified community living together as a unit. There's plenty of room to expand the Quad by building on adjacent Haney once the new drill field opens. There's even more room for new Quad dorms if they swapped the proposed new rec facility immediately next to Duncan with the proposed Band dorms across the street. There's simply no Quad space shortage to justify fragmenting the Corps. The current very temporary off-Quad billeting due to construction or the long-ago campus dispersal of cadets when A&M was much smaller and the Corps a significantly larger proportion of the student body are not parallel situations.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
It looks like they are really just extending the quad. I don't think the band will be considered separated from the quad by being 50 meters away. We used to conduct PT and practice flag football on that field all the time while I was in the Corps. I also agree with Canyon that this is only if the Corps fills up its current dorms. Don't see this happening in the next ten years.
TXAggieMom11
I am concerned with parking for cadets. The new housing concept takes all of lot 40 where the majority of Cadets park. South Side Garage is full with some cadets and non-regs. Are there plans to add additional levels?
2004FIGHTINTXAG
I don't see this improving under Sharp and his student growth agenda.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.