Living at Ft Rucker

4,729 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Pirate04
Pirate04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be heading that way for a couple years to attend WOFT. I am having a hard time making the decision of living on or off base. The plan is to take a trip down to check out the surrounding towns, Enterprise, Daleville, and Dothan, before making the decision. However, I don't know when I have to report for WOCS just yet.

Are there any Ags out there familiar with the area, including on post housing? Just general info and tips are appreciated!

I'll also accept cool stories of WOCS or flight school.
NormanAg
AG
Ten years ago I spent many weeks off and on in the Enterprise area for a work related project. IMO that whole part of the the state is in pretty bad shape. I did meet a few folks from Rucker who lived in Enterprise, but there really wasn't a whole lot of commerce in Enterprise, at least back then. I visited Dothan a few times on the weekend just to get the hell out of Enterprise. It seemed to me to be a better place to settle, but it's not right next to Rucker.

For those much more knowledgeable than me, is Troy an option? Only been there a couple of times, but I liked it better than Dothan. It's a college town and has a lot more to do. I also met several people at Enterprise Electronics Corporation (where I was on TDY status) who lived in Troy, but worked in Enterprise.

I know you will get a lot better info from people who were actually stationed there, but to be frank, I was not impressed with that part of the state at all. Probably the best thing you can say about it is that's it's not far from the beaches.
rugger74
AG
Stay on POST.
NormanAg
AG
Not at all surprised by that post.
Pirate04
AG
Reasons??
Complaint Investigator
AG
Off post with a roommate unless you have dependents. You can get a townhome for $700/month ($350 each plus maybe a max of $150 pp on bills,) split bills, rent, etc. and make a couple $100 off of BAH. You'll only get about $900 ish BAH and a couple $100 BAS. Live in Enterprise. Daleville is a s-hole. The gate won't ever be that backed up when you are going to be going in. You'll have to drive on post at the ass crack of dawn to catch buses running at 430 or so heading to the flight line.

I wouldn't come here early just to scope out a place to live. Come a few days prior to WOCS and you can stay in a hotel and find a place. There are a TON. Don't live in Dothan. Too far to drive when you have to be 30 miles away at 430AM to get on a bus. You can't go home at lunch. And if you forget something, you are screwed.

Don't be "that girl" with the guys either. It will show and everyone will make fun of you for it. Like my ex roommate. She earned quite the reputation during flight school.

SERE sucks. I came out with a black eye and a loose molar that they thought dental was going to have to pull.

WOBC is dumb and boring.

Forget privacy during SERE and WOCS.

WOCS/flight school is where you will make both friends and enemies.

Don't bother learning your fives and nines early for primary. Everyone freaks out and tells you to do it. They say you'll need them day 1, but they lie. You have a few days to learn a specific set. I don't think I studied at all until I got to my advanced aircraft; and that was what I crewed on in a previous life, so it wasn't all brand new to me. ETA: I wasn't at the bottom of the OML either. Pay attention and it's not that hard. If you aren't mechanically inclined, you may need to study a bit more.

Don't get in a relationship while here. Just don't.

The main job of the flight surgeons at Lyster seems to be not passing people on initial flight physicals.

The Guard/Reserve liason there has one job: to push you in to classes as fast as possible. Don't expect a break in between more than a week or two. And leave unless it's a holiday or you are in a bubble? Not authorized.

Bravo company has always been and will always be: a cluster-f of epic proportions. Try to avoid it as much as possible.

When are you supposed to report for WOCS? Are you a 5 or 7 weeker?
rugger74
AG
Think about the post in lieu of base.
Pirate04
AG
Thank you!!

As much as I would love to save on BAH, I will not have another roommate. At this point, it's not even worth it.

I don't know when I report yet. Either May or August. I'm a 7 weeker.
ArmyAg2002
AG
Dothan is long way when it comes to PT and early morning flight line. Most of Daleville isn't worth it, but if the trailer park is still right outside the gate, I had several friends that really liked it there. Ozark wasn't real popular, but Enterprise was, lots of apartments, lots of students, but the Enterprise gate is known to back up. I lived on post, but I was married in flight school. On post is advantageous for PT, B Co.'s random recalls and early morning flightline, but as a singe guy I can see where living around all the families wouldn't be a lot of fun. The landlords around there know exactly what you BAH is and that's what most places will go for.
txaggie_06
AG
If you try to live in Dothan it will be hard. Look at Daleville, it is smaller, but you can find a place that's not that bad. The bus leaving in the morning sucks, if you miss it your pretty much screwed. The Dinner is an awesome place, great breakfast burrito. if you of hink of any other questions let me know.
ArmyAg2002
AG
Don't eat the burrito before a flight
Outlaw0206
AG
I'm currently here and in my advanced airframe.. Complaint Ag really hit the nail on the head. Although I will say knowing a few 5&9s before starting your primary aircraft (67 or Lakota) is nice in that it saves you some stress if things are to pile up once you start flying. INstructor pilot dependent though.. As some demand more out of their students then other and could mean a heavier work load at night. But that's far off.. Get through WOCS, WOBC, and SERE before worrying to much about flying. Realize you will have crappy days flying and good days. Flight school is like a roller coaster, plenty of up and downs, just enjoy the ride and you will make it through
Pirate04
AG
Reporting to Rucker on Wednesday for WOCS. I AM NERVOUS.
AverageAg
AG
There are a good number of ags here from '14 & '15. It sucks sometimes, but overall it's a blast. I love living off post. Sometimes it's a pain to have to make the commute on post, but even then it's only a 15 minute drive. Let us know when you're here!
Trident15
AG
Another Ag currently at Rucker checking in! There are quite a few of us here. Good luck with everything
crunchyo
I graduated flight school in 2011 (OH-58Ds). I recommend living in Enterprise or Daleville. Just make sure if you live in Daleville, you live in one of the houses away from the main gate (off 84). Daleville is nice because you are close to Enterprise, Dothan, and Rucker. Plus, it's quiet.

Good luck and don't be a pu$$. You'll be fine at WOCS. At SERE school, just remember when they ask you chicken or beef, definitely go with the beef.
AverageAg
AG
quote:
At SERE school, just remember when they ask you chicken or beef, definitely go with the beef.
definitely go with beef lol
Pirate04
AG
Moving this week. HHG wont be delivered in time for the game this weekend, is there an Aggie club around for a game watch??
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.