Texas State Guard?

14,399 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by BoozerRed78
ctag76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags,

I'm thinking about joining the Texas State Guard to serve in some small way. I was in the Corps from '72-'76, but did not take a contract. (My grades stunk, but I did graduate.)

Comments, suggestions?

"But there's a spirit can ne'er be told ...
It's the spirit of Aggieland."
DevilD77
AG
You're probably a little too old to get in at this time. Guys our age are already retired unless they are general officers or senior NCOs.
bqaggie86
Texas STATE Guard is open to you. The NATIONAL Guard isn't a choice for you though.

[This message has been edited by bqaggie86 (edited 9/18/2011 5:27p).]
BeBopAg

[This message has been edited by BeBopAg (edited 9/18/2011 6:20p).]
BeBopAg
Lt.Col. Jay Brewer, Texas State Guard, TAMU Aggie Band, Associate Director.
ArmyAg2002
AG
What's the Texas State Guard?
BeBopAg
You gotta see it to believe it.

Semi-Military state organization commanded by the Governor. All volunteer with outward semblance of being a military organization.

Used in emergencies (however, members may refuse to go).

Search Engine type in: Texas State Guard

[This message has been edited by BeBopAg (edited 9/18/2011 6:25p).]
bqaggie86
They were originally created when there was the risk of the balloon going up calling for a mass mobilization of the Reserves. The State Guard would step in when the National Guard left to manage the armories. Since then, they have been involved more in natural disasters. In Texas they have been involved with providing training for Incident Commands.
ctag76
AG
Thanks for the info gentlemen! I did check with the Army National Guard and they said I was too old.

Texas State Guard says, "18 - 60", so I guess I'm eligible.

Anybody have a contact that I could call?

Pro Sandy
AG
Looks like your best route

http://www.gotxsg.com/units.php?send_to_url=/join.php
Aggiefan54
Local recruiter for 2nd Battalion of the 8th Civil Affairs regiment is SSGT Miller-his email is wmiller92 AT comcast.net. (That's not me-but I am a SGT in his Battalion.

The local unit usually drills at the Bryan Natl. Guard Armory (occasionally Huntsville) one Saturday a month. Special events coming up include Fort Bend County Fair, Wings Over Houston Air Show, Christmas in Crockett. Next year coming up will be 4th of July at Washington on the Brazos. Annual training is 4 days in June at Camp Bowie in Brownwood, TX.

Like the unit title indicates-the Texas State Guard provides military support to civilian authorities at public events and during emergencies. When activated by the Governor for State Active Duty, you are paid $121 per day and if rations and/or housing is not provided for free, per diem is paid. Your job is protected by state law during drills, events, and activations just the same as the National Guard and US Army Reserve.

There are Army, Air, Navy/Marine, and Medical components-currently about 2000 troops statewide. There are units scattered across the state from El Paso to Beaumont-I'm sure you can find one near where you live.

If you are a college graduate, you may be eligible (and encouraged) to attend OCS on weekends which can lead to a commission in the State Guard. The Texas State Guard is open to both prior service veterans and those who have not been in the service.

I encourage those interested to contact SSGT Miller for the straight scoop on joining. Feel free to visit a couple of drills to see if it is your cup of tea.

Texas State Guard-"Texans Serving Texas" http://www.txsg.state.tx.us/

[This message has been edited by Aggiefan54 (edited 9/18/2011 9:12p).]
BeBopAg
Wonder how many State Guard members were A&M former students vs t.u. former students ?

Now that might be an interesting stat. !
ctag76
AG
Thanks very much for the information and input.

I sent an e-mail to SSGT. Miller with some questions.

Meanwhile, I'm headed to God's country for the OK state game this Saturday!

Rev_86
AG
What if I already have a commission, and I will be leaving the service?

Sent from my iPhone.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
rev, then get into the national guard or reserve. the state guard doesn't count for military time toward retirement. plenty of folks serve active in one service then flop over to another service reserve wise. don't blow your years of service assuming you can't go reserve or guard.

P.S. unless you mean 'leaving the service' means you're retiring after 20+ years. if so, congrats.

USAF/USAFR/USAR/TXARNG/USAR = 25 yrs and counting.

[This message has been edited by Aggie@state.gov (edited 9/19/2011 9:36p).]
Lee72
AG
Ctag76 pm me and I will get you more info and get POC for Maritime Regiment... I was chief of staff for a while...email directly to leeroy dot lance at gmail dot com
Lee72
AG
Prior service members who are in a non obligatory status and retirees can join up at their former rank plus one promotion up to E7 or O6. Former corps members with proof of 4 years participation can het TXSG commissions.
You will have to pay for virtually everything to participate... if you are called to active duty, your pay is $21 per day regardless of rank. You drill one weekend per month and one week summer camp plus emergency service times.
Army basically runs evacuations and shelters, air force does communications. Medical does medical for evacuees. Maritime supports Tx Parks & Wildlife small boat ops.
BeBopAg
Wanna be patriotic ?

All Texas Aggies under the age of 60 should gladly fill the ranks of the Texas State Guard.
LUCKYBUCK25
AG
Thanks for the information as well. I have just recently heard about the Texas State Guard. May be something I consider in couple of years.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Former corps members with proof of 4 years participation can het TXSG commissions.

I could be the world's oldest 2ND LT.
Lee72
AG
For those of you who are former USAF or who just like to fly, you might also consider the Civil Air Patrol. Like the TXSG, you don't get paid for participation, in fact, we like to say that CAP stands for Come And Pay. Seriously, it's a great organization dedicated to emergency services response (downed aircraft, natural disasters, etc), cadet training and aerospace education (for not only our cadets but also for the public). Prior service members can come in at their former rank usually; persons with special skills (pilots, instructor pilots, medical, legal, chaplain, etc) can come in at advanced officer ranks. Basically all senior members (those over 18 YOA) are officers while a few decide to retain their enlisted rank (usually those who attained E9); cadets move through all cadet ranks from Airman Basic (c/E1) to Cadet Colonel (c/O6), then when they turn 18, they may opt to remain in the cadet program until they turn 21 but are moved to senior member status and work on Flight Officer ranks. They can achieve through FO3 (which is like WO3). Once they turn 21, they must move to senior program only and will be promoted to O1 thru O3 based on their cadet rank and/or the FO status.
Not a pilot but like to fly? No problem. You can work in the Mission Scanner and Mission Observer programs. These crewmembers fly alongside the pilot (Observers in right front seat and Scanners in back left seat). Observers work the radios, GPS, and camera out the right side of the aircraft. Scanners take photos out the left side. Both watch for target acquisition opportunities.
Don't like to fly? We have that covered as well. You can work with Ground Teams who go out into the field as a group to do the final locating of the object spotted either by satellite radio interception or by aircraft crews. Don't like the field environment? Work within the IC (Incident Command) infrastructure scheduling/tracking assets and crews, operating communication equipment, etc.
Only drawback for us prior service non-USAF types is we have to get used to wearing that darned ol' sky blue uniform stuff! Seriously, there are many options to uniforms. If you desire to wear USAF style uniforms, you must conform to CAP/USAF approved weight-height standards (slightly less rigid than USAFR). There are similar uniforms that are considered CAP Specific uniforms for those of us who can't quite squeeze into the H-W tables that are still sharp options.
The only thing close to pay is reimbursement for operating expenses related to aircraft operations on USAF approved missions and other special missions with paid sponsorship.
Here's some unofficial info regarding CAP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Air_Patrol
OR, you can go to the horse's mouth here:
http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/

[This message has been edited by Lee72 (edited 9/20/2011 5:16p).]
Tango Mike
so how did the assistant commandant of the Corps of Cadets retire from the Army as a LTC and then become a BG in the Texas State Guard?
BeBopAg
1stRanger...
Smoke room state politics.
Fly Army 97
I remember being called to his office for a lecture during my zip year. I kept thinking to myself....as I was about to receive a commission...what the hell is up with that name tag?
Aggie@state.gov
AG
Johnson went from USA retired LTC to TXSG COL, then BG after a number of years. the state guard has their own procedures for 'promotion'

COL Haney did the same thing as the band director. I remember he was a "MAJ" then a "LTC" then a COL all in the state guard....
BeBopAg
Wonder if one could be Court Martialed or Dishonorably Discharged from the Texas State Guard ?
Aggiefan54
Re: Court martial or DD:

Absolutely! Texas State Guard members are subject to the Texas Code of Military Justice when on duty or representing TXSG. TCMJ is a virtual copy of the UCMJ.

For an abridged copy see: http://txsgair.ipower.com/pr1/documents/tcmj.htm
BeBopAg
Is not a Lt. Col. designation in the Texas State Guard somewhat different in rank and responsibility from say, a Lt. Col. in the Texas National Guard or, a Lt. Col. in the U.S. Army Reserve ?
If so, should a Lt. Col. in the Texas State Guard always list his or her rank Lt. Col. (name), and the TSG designation, as would a Lt. Col. so doing in the TNG or USAR (by using the same TNG or USAR designation after their name) ?
Lee72
AG
If you are a LtCol in the Texas State Guard but Major is your highest federal rank held, yes you must show the appropriate designation after your state rank if you choose to use it as your title. For example, MAJ John Jones USA (Ret) may opt to use his Texas State Guard rank of Colonel since it carries more prestige in spoken circles, but he would write it out as COL (TX) John Jones or COL John Jones, TSG. I know that the head of the Maritime Regiment's highest federal rank was E4 in the USMC but he has risen through the ranks of the TX State Guard over the past 22 years to Brigadier General. He has to write his rank as follows: BGen(MC) John Jones, TMAR [when done internally] or BGen(MC) John Jones, TSG [when done externally]...the (MC) shows that he is Marine Corps type within the Maritime Regiment (TMAR).
The head of the Texas National Guard can hold the rank of LTG within the state system but only MG within the Federal system. He can wear his state uniform to certain functions and address himself as LTG but when it's strictly as a Federal General Officer, he MUST use the MG designation. For that reason, some opt not to even mess with the extra star until they finally retire from the entire system, on then do they take on the LTG (TX) designation.
BeBopAg
Texas State Guard officers simply need to indicate their rank as it is associated with their branch or unit service assignment: TSG, TNG, USAR.

This does not occur and many people are mislead when a TSG officer omits the TSG behind his rank and name.

There is a vast difference in the TSG and the TNG & USAR military establishment.
BoozerRed78
AG
If all this is confusing to some, this website may help clarify the difference between the Texas National Guard (both Army & Air) and the Texas State Guard. http://www.txmf.us/

Bottom line is, all three (Texas Army National Guard, Texas Air National Guard and Texas State Guard) comprise the Texas Military Forces. They are all commanded by the Adjutant General of Texas, and the Governor of Texas is their Commander In Chief. The difference is that the Texas Army National Guard & Texas Air National Guard also serve as reserve components of the federal military. As such, they are federally funded & equipped, subject to federal requirements for promotion, and are subject to mobilization by order of the President. The Texas State guard is purely a state militia, does not receive federal funding, and is not subject to any federal regulations or policies. It can set its policies with regard to promotions, organizational structure, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.