Local breweries

1,897 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SoTxAg
Ag2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for a fun brewery to go hang out at on a Saturday afternoon for my fiance's birthday. Will have some family in town. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a good tour or if it has outdoor games? We're very new to the area so any ideas are welcome!
GinaLinetti
AG
Ranger creek
Busted sandal
Free tail
More out east I think
Lots of options
GinaLinetti
AG
Friendly spot isn't a brewery but great for outdoor beer drinking. Even has a playground for kids
p_bubel
I'll add Alamo too. Probably the most "polished" of the group.

I like Freetail the best for the beer though. Haven't done a tour of any of them, but I can't imagine they match St Arnold's if that's what you're looking for.
p_bubel
Friendly Spot
La Tuna
Tacoland
The Luxury
The Cove

Are usually my go-to for kids and family hangouts.
p_bubel
The Botanical Garden is having a Brews and Bloom event early that evening too. 21 and up though.

quote:
Craft brew samplings, food booths and live music, all set in the gorgeous, flowering Botanical Garden. Brews and Blooms isn't your typical beer garden!

Working closely with San Antonio Cerveceros, Brews and Blooms provides a venue for new and seasoned local craft breweries to showcase their beer selections, from Blonde Ales and Wits to Pale Ales and IPA's, including limited releases from local breweries.

Natasha Romanoff
The new Alamo Brewery looks pretty awesome. Had a 5k there a couple of weeks ago and was telling my friend I can't wait to go back. This having some outdoor space may make it more what you're looking for.

I like Blue Star, some folks don't, but I think they have some unique beers and pretty solid food. Be warned, a flight means you get ALL of their beers (small pours, but still).

Haven't been there, but Ranger Creek does tours on Saturdays, and some coworkers said it's pretty neat. They don't have any A/C though, so just a heads up if it's a particularly hot weekend. Not sure if it's a great place to sit around and hang out or anything, just heard about the tour.

Friendly Spot is a nice place to relax and drink lots of different beers, but not a brewery. Freetail is good, just don't like their beers as much as some other SA breweries (they're good, just a personal preference thing).
F4GIB71
If you want to go to New Braunfels, try the Faust Hotel and Brewery. Historic hotel and bar has food and their own biers. I like Vinney's ESB. They also do a sampler. You are a block away from San Antonio Street which has a good atmosphere and several good restaurants if you don't want to eat at the Faust.
GinaLinetti
AG
This looks kinda cool.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBlockSA/posts/1003189746445975:0
Dover97
What area of San Antonio are you in? There may be some good options nearby that are not in San Antonio such as Boerne (4 breweries/brewpubs), New Braunfels (4? Breweries/brewpubs) or even Blanco (real Ale brewery).

San Antonio breweries:
Alamo (northeast side of downtown) -cool space and pretty trendy. Typically specialize in German lagers but have some variety. Most beers are pretty solid. Indoor and outdoor seating and typically have a couple of food trucks.

Freetail brewpub (north side)- the original location is the brewpub. They serve decent food for a pub and have a fair amount of tvs. Usually tuned to football or soccer. They have some outdoor seating. They have the largest variety of beer and include a few guest taps.

Freetail brewery (Southtown)- the production brewery location has an indoor serving area and a decent number of beers on tap 6-10, maybe more). Sometimes they will have a food truck but not always.

Ranger Creek (northeast) brewery and distillery. They will probably have 4-5 beers on tap as well as whisky/bourbon. I have not been in while so may have changed some.

Branchline (northeast) - indoor tap room. Probably have 5-6 beers on tap. Usually decent beers but not outstanding.

Southerleigh (northeast downtown/the pearl) very cool and trendy. They are as much or more about serving food. Beers usually made with specialty herbs/spices/vegetables that sound odd but are pretty good. Small outdoor seating area.

High wheel (Southtown) hipster and very small. Another brewstillery. They make a spirit called raku and are known for their mixed drinks. They usually have 3-4 beers on tap.

Bluestar (Southtown) the oldest brewpub in San Antonio. Mostly indoors with some patio seating. Usually have 5 or 6 beers on tap. They also serve food which I would consider as elevated pub food.

Broken Sandal (north/northwest) small tap room. I've only been once because I don't typically like their beers but they had probably 6 or 7 beers on tap. I don't think there is any food available or outdoor seating.

Im probably missing a couple (5 Stones in Live Oak/Schertz for example).

Another option that might fit what you want are one of the food truck parks. I think someone mentioned the Block which is on the north side but there are a few others in San Antonio, Leon springs, Boerne, and Bergheim.
p_bubel
Excellent write up.
Ag2011
AG
Great write up! We are in Northwest San Antonio. Both work in boerne so have no problem at all heading up there either.

Thanks everyone for great suggestions. New to the area so we have very little knowledge of the area and all opinions are welcomed.
Ag2011
AG
Does anyone have any experience with Cibolo Creek Brewing in Boerne?
Dover97
Cibolo Creek has 4 regular beers (pale ale, wheat, saison, and ipa) and sometimes they have a small batch of a specialty beer. They also have a couple of guest taps. The beer is pretty good as is the food. The food is locally sourced and the menu is a little limited. The price seems a little high but they don't allow tipping so it ends up the same as other places. They have both indoor and outdoor seating.

If you are in the Boerne area there are a couple of food truck parks. The best one, in my opinion, is Random which is out by Boerne lake. They have 40 or so craft beers on tap and 4-6 food trucks. It's mostly outdoor seating. The Hill Country Aggie Club watches games there although probably less than a dozen Aggies show up. It's a family friendly atmosphere and there are a couple of inflatables for the kids to play on.
LCE
AG
Been a while since I've been to Dodging Duck in Boerne. They had a very good smoked porter 4-5 years ago. I assume it's still open.
Dover97
The Duck is still open and they usually have 4 beers on tap that vary but generally include some variation of an IPA, a lighter lager or ale, an amber or brown ale or lager, and a wheat ale. There is indoor and outdoor seating and the food is pretty good.
GinaLinetti
AG
5 stones has some interesting stuff too. It's in Cibolo. Never been there but I like their beer
SoTxAg
AG
Useful info, thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.