What ever happened to Maggie's off of San Pedro?

27,189 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Gil Renard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man someone asked me and I hadn't heard about that place in years. I heard it may have shut down. I wonder why it shut down.
CoolaidWade
AG
They went down and since then has changed several times. Currently that location is a Rosarrios (sp). Before that it was a Italian restaurant that had ties to the mafia/cartels and went down.
AgCat93
AG
Maggie's closed in the early 2000s and the building was either demolished or extensively remodeled. I imagine there are a few on this board who can remember when Reed's Red Derby was there.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
Maggie's closed in the early 2000s and the building was either demolished or extensively remodeled. I imagine there are a few on this board who can remember when Reed's Red Derby was there.

Yes I can.
MookieBlaylock
AG
My brother ran that place for about 15 years

Business died on san pedro as everything moved

It was remodeled ino the cartel restraunt

Speedbird087
AG
TX AG 88
AG
That's not the original location of Alamo Cafe, is it? It was around there somewhere...
MookieBlaylock
AG
Original alamo cafe was across the street next to the wendys

Goodnight Irene
AG
Mamas was next door to there I believe
AG
That was the original Mama's location if I remember the trees correctly.
TX AG 88
AG
Ah. I couldn't even tell which direction we were looking! Never liked mama's but did hang out at the haufbrau a bit!
LitreBoy
AG
Mama's is now a car dealership. I bought a car from there and it was so weird to walk in there...
FCBlitz
Oh mannnnn. Bringing back memories. The Alamo cafe. Loved that place. I was too poor to eat at Maggie's but drove by it often between 1980 thru 1984
rwtxag83
AG
We used to hit up Maggies for breakfast on our way to football games in College Station in the 90s. We went there in groups at night for drinks after work, and again late night for breakfast after a night on the town. As the area died, so did their business. A lot of the folks who went to high school at Churchill and Lee used to go there, and slowly those folks started leaving, and their parents died or moved out of the area. It was sad seeing it sit there vacant for a few years. It's been through several uses since then.

For a while in the 70s/80s, the area around Northstar mall was an up and coming area where young singles moved into the aprtments in those areas. When you see those same aprtments now, it's kind of sad.

Old San Francisco Steakhouse was a very nice high quality restaurant where people went frequently, but it too fell by the wayside. You can add Magic Time Machine to that list as well. I remeber Magic Time Machine being featured in pics in the National Geographic article they did about SA back in the 70s.

I do like what they did to the old Central Park Mall, although we don't go down there very often. It's funny, because I don't even use 410 very often anymore, and I'm sure there are many like me.

I can remeber some old timers telling me that when they built Northstar mall many people said 'What are they building that thing so far out there for?' Now, it's not even thought of as Northside--more central.
BQAg__in Water
I dated the daughter of the owner of Maggies back in the early 80's. I was not from San Antonio, but when we went to see her parents we always headed to Maggies. He also owned all the Champps restaurants.

He was a cool car guy. I remember riding in his brand new Excalibur, which at the time was a very expensive automobile. The daughter drove a like new Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am, which I got to drive some.

Lost track after we broke up, so don't really know what happened to the restaurant. The owners name was Ed Forester, and his daughter went to John Marshall. Her name was Deanna.
runontexas
AG
Like many SA Restaurants they failed
SanAntoneAg
AG
Yeah Old San Francisco Steakhouse was good.

Magic Time Machine is on 410. Just east of Broadway I think.
LCE
AG
Forgot the name of the restaurant that was off IH 10 and Callaghan. Next to the movie theater. Turned into a bar for several years. Still sitting empty.
SanAntoneAg
AG
That was Mama's if memory serves.
LCE
AG
Think it was.
rwtxag83
AG
Yes, it was Mamas. We used to go there a bunch. It was a couple of things after Mamas, one of which was Hot Tin Roof. There was a car dealership a block down from there that died also. Once they made the big overpass, the writing was on the wall for those locations.

The TGI Fridays that was on the other side of I-10 from there died, was turned into a Wing-n-more ofr a while, and then died again. The Malibu Grand Prix that was over there also died.

That area fell victim to the same things that 410/SanPedro/Maggies area did. The kids grew up and left, and the parents who stayed retired and started dying off. The whole demographic in those areas is different now than it was when that stuff was opened back in the 80s
SanAntoneAg
AG
Malibu officially closes Sept. 7. I live near VJ and Callaghan, drive past those closed businesses each day. Surprisingly, the movie theater is still there and functional.
AG
My grandparents owned that old trailer park by the church on the hill inside the 410/I-10 interchange. My mom and her brothers/sisters were trying to sell the property for quite a while, finally got a guy to take it and it's been vacant ever since because there is just no good access. Very thankful he came along and bought it and they weren't stuck with it since nothing can survive in that area.
LCE
AG
I remember the old Sonova Beack club that is now Wurzbach Ice house. Then Sonova moved out to 1604 near hills n dales.
AG
quote:
I remember the old Sonova Beack club that is now Wurzbach Ice house. Then Sonova moved out to 1604 near hills n dales.
Cooter Browns!
LCE
AG
Long time ago
Chiefsoup
I worked at Reeds Red Derby as a waiter and bartender in 1975 and 1976. At the time, it was the go to place in San Antonio. The place was frequented by soccer players from the Thunder who were owned by Ward Lay (sone of the founder of Lay's Potato Chips), by players from the San Antonio Spurs, who were still in the ABA at that time. George Karl, Coby Dietrich and Billy Paulz were regulars. It was home to after hours parties by rock bands such as the Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart and Faces, James Gang and Ike and Tina Turner.

It closed briefly in 1976 for two weeks and the entire staff was fired. Two weeks later, the restaurant/bar re-opened with a new staff. The old staff was let go because of rampant theft, drugs and an out of control culture.
The Fife
SanAntoneAg said:

Malibu officially closes Sept. 7. I live near VJ and Callaghan, drive past those closed businesses each day. Surprisingly, the movie theater is still there and functional.
What? Sucks...
PLUM LOCO
AG
There was a club that was out by Cooter Brown's just down the street.

I saw Christopher Cross there several times before he hit it big time. The band played off a deck in the back if my memory still works.

Does anyone remember what it was called?

This was early 80's.
SA Ag
Thanks for the memories guys, lived in that area from 1965 to 1995,
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Best Products. Careful not to get hit by a falling brick when walking in. Bought my first shotgun there, iirc.
goags2
AG
Fitzwilly's!
Josepi
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

I hate to hear that. I had two birthday parties at Malibu when I was a kid.

And I haven't thought about Maggie's in a long time. My high school girlfriend and I used to regularly hook up in the bathroom on the second floor. Sorry, that probably TMI.
Susieq7
Chris was a good friend of my brothers back in the day, but he became kind of a jerk to a bunch of us after he got his what! Two hit songs. But we were there when he played at C. Browns. Our family home was not far from Browns so we went there a lot in the late 70s and 80s. I know the bar down the street your talking about, I too can't remember the name. I would only go there when my good friend played there with his band Heyoka. His name was Michael Grothues. Both me and him were to young to be out pass 12 midnight back than lol! Browns always let me in under age bad boys!!! But that bar didn't know me and my friends as well so it was hard to get in, but I did get in when Heyoka played thanks to Michael RIP.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Random bump of the year contender for the SA Board Awards show hosted by Sir Haby
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.