Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Lawn Mower advice

1,640 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by mtngoat3006
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey y'all! My lawnmower probably needs to be replaced and I'm looking for recommendations on what to buy

I only have a quarter acre yard that is not difficult to mow. I want something reliable but under $600

What am I buying?
JP76
Honda

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3-in-1-Variable-Speed-Gas-Walk-Behind-Self-Propelled-Lawn-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRN216VKAD/327851753

DRE06
AG
I moved to electric for may lawnmower and blower and haven't looked back. Was tired of gas powered not starting.

EGO Lawnmower
aftershock
DRE06 said:

I moved to electric for may lawnmower and blower and haven't looked back. Was tired of gas powered not starting.

EGO Lawnmower

Same. I have about 1/3 acre lot. Changed over from gas a couple of years ago, no regrets at all. I can mow, edge, trim and blow with just the battery from the mower. All the other tools came with a battery, so if everything is charged I've got plenty of power to do what I need and then some. Actually now my wife and kids help out because they don't have the "I don't know how to get the mower started" excuse they used to have.
Whitetail
AG
[Texags]
Scag…you can easily find for under $600……………… per month.
[/Texags]
ol'Porkbelly
AG
Agree with others, go electric.

They're lightweight and easy for kids to use if you need to give them some chores.
Dill-Ag13
AG
JP76 said:

Honda

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3-in-1-Variable-Speed-Gas-Walk-Behind-Self-Propelled-Lawn-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRN216VKAD/327851753

I'll hop in this train. I bought a Craftsman-brand mower with a 160cc Honda engine in 2013. I have replaced the front wheels as the only repair (blade 3x, oil 3x, filter 3x, spark plug 1x) and it has been a hoss and has always started on the first pull.

I would avoid electric mowers. The tech is there to replace the old 2-stroke gear however.
lb3
AG
My Honda is 14 years old and I've changed the spark plugs at 12 years of age and changed oil when it was about 8 years old. It's indestructible and I keep neglecting it so I can justify another EGO mower like the one I keep at the fishing shack.
TXAG 05
AG
Another vote for a Craftsman with a Honda engine. Mine has been solid. Barely even pull the cord and it starts.
dudeabides
AG
91AggieLawyer
AG
With a $600 budget, I'd for sure get the best reconditioned commercial I could find -- one with a Kawasaki engine. Honda engines are OK, but the other Japanese ones (Suzuki and Kawasaki) are better. The newer Hondas aren't as good as the older ones. If you do go with Honda, try to get a mower with the commercial Honda motor, which leaves out other brands with Honda motors on them. Frankly, those mowers aren't worth it. They're poor components attached to an OK engine and while the engine won't give you issues as long as you maintain it, the rest of the stuff will. If the brand stops selling the mower and/or quits providing parts, you'll be looking for another mower long before the useful life of what I've recommended will be up.

Go to a small engine shop and talk to them. They'll have returned 21" mowers, even a few with relatively low hours. A lot of guys get into the business and either quit or they start going to bigger mowers relatively quick.
sixiron
AG
I've had the same $225 Craftsman mower for the last 12 years, and it's not even a Honda. No need to spend as high as $600 unless you just want to.
Baby Billy
AG
I had a Honda for 15 years. I don't remember it ever not starting on the first pull. Even after it had been in the garage all winter.
HDeathstar
JP76 said:

Honda

Had mine for 20 years. Had to get new tires last year. Still good. If I had taken it in for yearly or every other year service, it might outlive my kids.

Second choice would be a another manufacture that uses a Honda engine.
jimbo457
I will add my two cents...

I have had a Honda HRX217 for about ten years. It is the most reliable small engine tool I've ever owned. To this day it starts with ease. I replace the oil, spark plug, and filters every year.... or two. I have also only ever heard incredibly good things about their mowers. You will pay a bit over $600 but buy once, cry once. You'll be glad you did.
TexAg2001
AG
I've had this mower for 10 years and use weekly during the mowing season. Starts on the first pull every time. I've replaced the blades once and tires need replacing (they are almost completely smooth at this point).

I changed the oil once and have never replaced the spark plug. Maybe I should replace it at some point.
agnerd
AG
My dad could never keep a mower running for more then 2 years max. When he gave me his old Craftsman Briggs mower, I assumed I'd be replacing it the next year. Still runs great after 15 years. I think his problem was the gas. I use ethanol-free and have had no problems. My next mower will be the cheapest self-propelled one I can find that has easily replaceable wheels. That's the only part that has worn our for me.
Topher17
AG
DRE06 said:

EGO Lawnmower
Bought an EGO about a month ago and wish I'd done it sooner. Finally got tired of always having to screw with the engine to get the old one going and made the switch. The EGO is lighter, cuts just as well, folds up for easy storage and I just drop the battery in and go. Its great!
ol'Porkbelly
AG
The electrics are just great, especially if you have a small-ish yard. So many less things to break/repair and if you stay with one particular brand you can swap batteries to different equipment. I've had mine for 5 yrs now with zero problems.
justnobody79
don't buy Troy Built or Toro
Maximus Johnson
AG
I want to go all electric for my small outdoor equipment by my Craftsman push mower just won't stop kicking
tgivaughn
AG
Another option NOT within the criteria ... food for thought
Riding mowers may be overkill and I must agree with all above that meets your criteria, esp. the 11HP Honda BUT walking a "push mower" again in Texas summer for 1-3hrs = 0.25ac? to save money ... me thinks as we get older, time become more precious, luxuries well deserved, work-outs doing FUN stuff (golf, swim?) so if I couldn't borrow enough to ride, perhaps facebook/nextdoor/clss.ads might find me a dependable used one such as this
https://rebrand.ly/fq4xe4k
IMHO and am sticking to it
mtngoat3006
I read last year that Honda was getting out of the lawn mower business and they no longer sell lawn mowers at Home Depot. I checked out the Home Depot website and Honda is back to selling lawn mowers. Heck yes! I just ordered one online and will pick it up tomorrow. You won't find a better gas lawn mower than a Honda. I bought one 22 years ago and it's still running but it's getting time to replace it. Buy once, cry once!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.