Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Hardwood coming unglued

793 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Pepper Brooks
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have been in this house for 3 years and I've noticed that the hardwood planks in a certain sectionof the living room are starting to pop up. There are a 4-5 spots so far but one feels/looks like a speed bump in the room.

The house is 13 years old and was rebuilt from the slab up after a fire. They replaced the plumbing with pex during the rebuild and my understanding is there is no water running through the pipes in the slab.

This is in the middle of the living room and there are no other possible sources of moisture I can see.

There are no signs of foundation issues along the walls.

What else could this be? Is it plausible that the glue is failing after 13 years without any cause?
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
HDeathstar
Sewer pipes will run under the house. Fresh water pipes are usually in attic and walls. You could have a sewer/drain pipe leak/disconnect under the house. Water could leak from that.

Or a small crack in slab and that is the exit for any natural moisture under the house. Drought this summer in Houston, caused my house to start showing some cracks.

We remodeled our house (40year old house) and saw moisture on the slab in a few places, so we had to go with wood look tile. Friends did wood and had moisture issues. Floor guys die not install the moisture barrier correctly or none, so they had to redo the wood and correct it.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Sorry, I should have clarified the location of these spots make me feel it's unlikely to be sewer issues. It's 20+ feet from any sink/toilet/etc.

Thanks for the feedback.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

BiggiesLX
Is there anyway to figure out if the wood had been acclimated to the house prior to installing? I have no idea if any issues from that can arise years later, but just a thought.
HDeathstar
Our drainage lines all connected and crossed the middle of the house to the other bathrooms on the other side of house.
JobSecurity
AG
Does anything register on a moisture meter?
Pepper Brooks
AG
Moisture meter beeped on both spots. Plumber ruled our freshwater and sewer leaks.

Only thing we can find is there is some rotted siding on the second story and it's been getting into the attic. Maybe it's some how been dripping down to the first floor and spreading out???

No other entry points we can find. It's very odd.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.