Electrostatic Air Filter Question

487 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by czechy91
Orome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello All,

New home owner here. Our house we purchased has an electrostatic air filter system. I had a HVAC company come out for a general health check and they gave several expensive recommendations including replacing the electrostatic filter with a new filter base and iWave purifier for $6K… this seems excessively high.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do with the electrostatic filters? It definitely needs to be cleaned, but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on their worth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Allen
BrazosDog02
AG
I don't think they work as well as a traditional filter. I'd yank it out and have a box filter system installed in the main unit. You can use the cost savings to buy box filters until you're on your death bed and still have money leftover.
Orome
AG
Is that something that can be a YouTube and fix solution?
BrazosDog02
AG
Anything can be DIY if you have tools, time, and knowledge. You'd have to do some plenum work and doing that in an attic this time of year is something I'd rather pay a guy to do.
Orome
AG
Thanks!
mefoghorn
AG
You're never going to get $6K of value from any change to filtering. I would just get it cleaned and leave it in place with regular maintenance. They can be an effective means of filtration.
Orome
AG
That was what I was thinking. These filters look like they haven't been changed in years though. Hopefully they aren't ruined
tgivaughn
AG
If ruined, even after pro cleaning (or DIY w/hose or car wash) replacements shuold cost less than 6k and reworking your system that was hopefully designed for their reduced air flow effects.

Now, next time replacement of entire system, think
Electronic (AC) filters
Trane/equal super clean filter system du jour
Electrostatic (again) new
DIY allergy disposable filters
in that order of "clean"
IMHO and am sticking to it
Orome
AG
Good information, thank you!
czechy91
AG
I recommend the aprilaire whole house air filter that you install in the attic. It's a deep pleated filter that lasts 1 year and does a great job of reducing allergens. It's not too expensive but you'll likely need a HVAC guy to install unless you are very handy. It's a nominal cost to tack on when you are upgrading your AC system.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.