Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Power washer rec

1,363 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
Truman2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a recommendation? Brand, psi

To be used around the house, clean cars, clean side x side, etc.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
No matter the brand you pick, use ethanol-free gas. Better for all small engines, but especially for a pressure washer as intermittently as they get used.

My opinion, there's not much difference between brands until you get into +3 GPM range, and then, the price/capability starts to get overkill for what you need.
TexAg2001
AG
I have a Dewalt 3600 PSI 2.5 GPM gas powered one. It may be a little overkill for what I use it for (the same things you described), but it gets the job done very easily. I just bought an aftermarket surface washer attachment and it significantly cut the time it takes to clean concrete sidewalks, driveways, patios.

I can't remember the brand, but I had an electric one before. It was really underpowered and jobs took forever.
agnerd
AG
I've given up on gas and only get the cheap crappy electric ones at lowes/HD. They take longer, but I used to waste more time trying to get it to start than actually working. Power washer is the only gas engine I have any trouble with. Every other engine I have starts and runs fine with ethanol-free gas. Even if I run it every month it still has problems.
Whitetail
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

No matter the brand you pick, use ethanol-free gas. Better for all small engines, but especially for a pressure washer as intermittently as they get used.

My opinion, there's not much difference between brands until you get into +3 GPM range, and then, the price/capability starts to get overkill for what you need.

You can use ethanol gas, just cut the fuel to stop it so the carb is drained before you put it up.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I have several washers. I tell my wife (and she hates hearing me say this) that you can never have too many pressure washers!!

First, general principles: ignore PSI. That's what everyone focuses on but they shouldn't. Whether looking at electric or gas, look at gallons per minute (GPM). As one guy I read years ago put it, "water cleans; pressure destroys." I don't know if that's literally true -- you need SOME pressure, but it is the right idea. Besides, you can up the pressure in a low output setting and not get much done. Plus, the tips you put on the sprayer will control a good part of the pressure setting.

Second, depending on what you're cleaning, an electric MAY be all you need. Years ago, I laughed at electric washers and in truth, until about 15 years ago, I'm not sure many were that good. Now, they seem to be well built (even the consumer ones) and will last you a while. You just need to know their limitations. The consumer ones are, at most, around 1.2-1.5 GPM output and while that is OK for car washing, it comes up way short for things like driveway and fence cleaning. Several good choices in consumer electric washers, but I like AR Blue. Keep in mind that these need to be plugged directly into a power source; extension cords are hit and miss. That limits where you can use them.

Third, as far as gas, don't even bother with ones less then 3.2 GPM. The old 2.4-2.7 were disposable units because the replacement pumps cost more than the new units. Now, that's not true, but I would still pass on the small gas washers. If you don't want to spend the money, don't. Just rent the gas one when you need one. Set yourself up with quick connect hoses and sprayers, along with the M22-quick connect adapters for the electric washers, and you can just swap out when you access both. If you MUST get a gas unit lower than 3.2 GPM, just make sure you can change the oil in the pump and perform regular maintenance.

I like the Uberflex hoses and other fittings found at Northern Tool. The spray gun I recommend, gas or electric, can be had from Grainger:

https://www.grainger.com/product/Spray-Gun-6-in-Lg-52DC82

The ones that come with the units are, in my opinion, trash. Most hoses are very inflexible and the spray guns/wands are hard to work with. You may not want to get the other accessories right away, but you will eventually.

Good luck and if I can answer any other questions, let me know. Sorry for the dissertation.

ETA: if you do get a gas, turn it off when you aren't using the pump. You'll burn out the pump. That's one benefit of the electric over the gas for things like car washing. Use the gas for continuous use jobs.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Which surface attachment did you buy? Looking for one now.
Sea Speed
AG
I will probably never use a gas washer again. Always a problem. For projects around the house the electric sunjoe or whatever are way more than adequate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.