Landscaping / Hardscaping Suggestions

1,378 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by agz win
MousepadMarauder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have installed a pool and need to put in some landscaping or hardscaping at one end toward our neighbors house. There is a bed down on that end where I have irrigation and low voltage lighting capabilities.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Lubbock, TX so palms may be tricky unless they are freeze tolerant.

TIA.
agnerd
AG
Not having vegetation keeps leaves out of the pool. I would cover up the slats in the fence for privacy and cover up the dirt with pavers. I've yet to see too much seating space around a pool. Always nice to have more room to put out lawn chairs.
eiggA2002
AG
Whatever you do, the less leaves the better because they will all find their way into the pool. We did more desert type plants nearest to ours, but that location is bound to get smashed by kids feet or balls, noodles, floats, etc. Some sort of shrub may work, but again leaves. Pavers or hardscape for seating may be better.
Throwout
AG
What's the distance between that planter and the fence?
MousepadMarauder
AG
The back bed is 3 ft deep. The '"back" of the bed is half a curb from the fence so not far.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
have you thought about the fake green walls and attach to the fence?

tgivaughn
AG
BlackThumb thoughts worthless follow

Windmill Palms in pots in well drained catus potting soil

Vines, the top picks from Neil Sperry's latest book in Miracle Gro potting soil

Collect rain water

Defend against chlorine splash damage

Free Pro advice on radio via phone/email @ Neil Sperry WTAW-AM or Garden Success KAMU-FM in Aggieland
IMHO and am sticking to it
agz win
AG
That wall needs softening and agree with the fake green ivy wall (they've come a long way in designs for outdoor elements) and would put insulation under it to try and soften the bouncing basketballs next door. Is that the tallest goal ever?? Weather is harsh there but if you need something in the dirt in front of the ivy wall, consider a small family garden of vegetables, fruits or flowers attracting hummingbirds. And get some Adirondacks with foot stools.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Don't go with the fake green stuff. Get a real living wall system and go with grasses or something that won't shed a ton of leaves.
MousepadMarauder
AG
Thanks for the thoughts. Fake ivy was my first thought until I went to a restaurant that had it on patio walls and it doesn't seem to do well in the West Texas wind/sand.

I agree the fence needs softening. Any suggestions on a real ivy variety that would do well? What about some metal screens placed between some cedar posts with a climbing ivy? Some potted palms and river rock mulch in the bed?
ftworthag02
AG
Horticulturist here but not knowledgeable about what does well in Lubbock. My favorite full sun vines to plant here in dfw is crossvine and clematis. Lady banks rose is a option but it blooms for such a short time plus you would have a ton of petals all over the place. Never had great luck w/ coral honeysuckle or wisteria (getting it to bloom). Another option would be a espalier (trained) plant. My supplier has little gem magnolias, hydrangeas, Elaeagnus, loropetalum (fringe flower), etc.
agz win
AG
Lubbock is in the northern part of Zone 7. Plants must be able to withstand sustained temperatures of 0 degrees to be considered hardy in the Lubbock area. Go native and sweet smelling or with berries to attract birds. I wouldn't put any vines on the fence as it likely will go through it and above and your neighbors may not appreciate.

Here's a search for some outdoor ivy, some with LED lights. I'd research the reviews on which would hold up better. At the least, put an wildlife artisitc mural on it with some uplighting. You could wall sconces with hanging plants or something with architectural interest.

Amazon.com : outdoor ivy curtain
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.