Chlorine in water

1,099 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Koko Chingo
Texas Aggies 12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've recently discovered our rental house is only about 100 yards from a water treatment facility in Houston. Most of the time the water coming out of the faucets and showers has an overpowering chlorine smell. Clothes after washing still have that smell etc. I know the city uses some chlorine to sanitize the public water but this is next level strong

I'm not necessarily worried about preserving the fixtures but do yall think proximity to treatment facility is a factor here?

Any filtration options or ways to cut down the amount of chlorine coming in?
AgResearch
AG
Whole home activated carbon filter will do it.
Texas Aggies 12
Im in a rental house for the next 12 months, so do you think there is a way we could get something like installed and then taken out when we move out without many problems?

It's obviously only helping the home but I honestly would rather just install without saying anything if he can be removed easily.
bmc13
AG
probably not for the whole home unless there is already a softener hookup installed.
OnlyForNow
AG
You should contact who ever the operator is and ask them to come test the water for free chlorine and free fluoride, neither of additives should be any higher in your water than anywhere else in the downstream supply.
Hagen95
AG
Call the water system and have them come check the residual at your meter. There is a limit on what they can provide to their customers.
Koko Chingo
AG
I put an under sink filter in at my moms house and it works great. I get the filters sent to my house every 6 months and install them for her. Her city of Bryan water now tastes great, no chlorine taste.

It installs with two screws and the filter swap is a easy, just a quarter turn. You can install in a few minutes and remove just as easily.

The filter is inline with the cold water line under the sink. I changed the water lines they send you with the kit for braided lines. For the short amount of time you will be there it may not matter.

https://a.co/d/1skYCOM

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.