Home Exterior Renovation (Pic Heavy)

14,705 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by mrmill3218
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am doing an exterior renovation to my house. Finishing up the job I started over the summer. Demo'ing brick, sheathing, insulation, and windows.

Going back with new insulation in the stud bays, Zip R sheathing, news windows, and 1x4 battens to create a rain screen by furring out the new hardie plank. Will go back with brick on the front elevation.

mrmill3218
AG

mrmill3218
AG

mrmill3218
AG

mrmill3218
AG

mrmill3218
AG

mrmill3218
AG

RogerFurlong
Looking good
mrmill3218
AG
Appreciate it! Hopefully this old girl will be looking good and performing well very soon.
chick79
AG
I like the style of that house! Where is this?
mrmill3218
AG
Thank you! House is in northeast Dallas.
chick79
AG
I thought the area looked familiar. I live pretty close to that area.
mrmill3218
AG
Demo continued today. Bottom plate had water damage in some locations. Building enclosure was basically Swiss cheese. Exterior drywall product was used for the sheathing. No mortar net and no base wall flashing.
mrmill3218
AG

mrmill3218
AG

mrmill3218
AG

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Giving me PTSD from when I did my house.
mrmill3218
AG
MoreCushing4thePushing said:

Giving me PTSD from when I did my house.
Why is that?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I thought it was a project that would take a few months, and it ended up taking over a year. Completely gutted it and had the slab re-leveled.

I did a thread similar to yours.

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3152621
mrmill3218
AG
Man, really cool thread. Thanks for sharing. Thankfully I am just doing an exterior reno (for now). Taking it down to the studs from the outside and replacing insulation, sheathing, new windows, hardie plank, and brick.

Hopefully it won't take too long! I am also glad I am not doing it myself. If that was the case it would take several years lol.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Yeah. I remember my dad doing my parent's house all by himself. He started when I was in 5th grade, and we didn't move in until my jr. year of high school.
Agzonfire
Uhoh, I see mold. Add another 10k to the budget
PeekingDuck
AG
I like a lot of your choices. Not the same old stuff!
mrmill3218
AG
Insulation going in this morning.
mrmill3218
AG
Zip sheathing going on west elevation.
mrmill3218
AG
Gotta liquid flash the nail holes. Tape the zip seams (and roll the tape). After that, rigid insulation and 1x4 rain screen.

mrmill3218
AG
Bug screen on the bottom of the wall.

Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
You can go to any new build house/neighborhood and watch the builders either put up ZipSystem or just the Pink Foam board, but not both....

Kudos to you sir! Making a quality rehab!
AggieFactor
AG
So how does this method compare in cost to just putting up Zip-R sheathing after the rockwool? Or is it an availability thing that these guys can go do the street to Home Depot (since Lowes doesn't sell the panther) and pick up all the material they need?

Drive by the house everyday on the way to 635 so loved the progress on the first phase which and this will be cool to follow as well.
mrmill3218
AG
AggieFactor said:

So how does this method compare in cost to just putting up Zip-R sheathing after the rockwool? Or is it an availability thing that these guys can go do the street to Home Depot (since Lowes doesn't sell the panther) and pick up all the material they need?

Drive by the house everyday on the way to 635 so loved the progress on the first phase which and this will be cool to follow as well.

Appreciate that! Thanks for following the progress. Funny you drive by every day.

In regards to the Zip R, it's funny that you mention that. I actually ordered Zip R and it was supposed to be dropped off at the house on Monday. Well tomorrow is Thursday and it's still not here. The guys I hired have to leave town on Friday so I just told them to go to Home Depot and get some regular Zip and 2" rigid insulation. The good news about the 2" of rigid is that it has an R value of 10, which is more than I'll get with the Zip R. So you kind of hit the nail on the head with the availability aspect.
mrmill3218
AG
Thank you, sir!
mrmill3218
AG
Finished insulation, sheathing, and rain screen on the west elevation. Continuing demo and new insulation install on the east side.

mrmill3218
AG
Material finally showed up, just in time for the rain.

mrmill3218
AG
Getting everything covered up for the rain.

Aggie71013
AG
Out of curiosity what led to the decision to tear out the brick? My house was not mortared well (too much sand and it's pitting in various places) and I'm worried eventually it'll be cheaper to tear it out and start over then repair the mortar.

I also plan to redo the siding I have soon and have debated putting in new insulation, ZIP R, etc. I'm sure I just have asphalt paper behind it right now. Was the quote to this type of rebuild like 5x or 10x compared to just replacing the siding?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.