Glacier Pool Cooler - Houston

9,498 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SharkinAg
preston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have one of these units and care to share positive or negative experience? Particularly those is Houston with our high humidity and dew point. Considering putting one in for my ~16k gal pool that gets all day direct sun. Been hitting 92F would like it mid-80's.
ktownag08
AG
Have posted numerous times about mine on here.

We live in Houston, have a dark finish, full sun, and it lowers the temp from about 94-95 to 86-87.

Trick is to turn it on the night before.

It's pretty cheap to run too so we leave it on Wed night through Sunday evening in the summer.
LostInLA07
AG
Thanks for posting. We've been looking into a chiller because our pool is basically boiling. These seem to be a much better price than the heat pumps so glad to hear they work.
preston
Thanks for the feedback and great to see your results. Yes hoping a Glacier will work vs. a heat pump which are a little more expensive up front but way more expensive to operate. Just want to make sure it will achieve what I desire (mid-80's).
RGRAg1/75
AG
Does anyone know of any distributors or certified installers in B/CS? Or will these Houston guys service the B/CS area?
Corps_Ag12
AG
As stated before it's very important to run it in the coolest parts of the night. Otherwise you might end up heating the pool.
trestamu
AG
ktownag08 said:

Have posted numerous times about mine on here.

We live in Houston, have a dark finish, full sun, and it lowers the temp from about 94-95 to 86-87.

Trick is to turn it on the night before.

It's pretty cheap to run too so we leave it on Wed night through Sunday evening in the summer.

My in laws have one in west Houston and can confirm ktowns info. Turn on the night before.
Animal Eight 84
AG
We have one. Works great.
Cheap to operate.

Noisy so don't put adjacent to a bedroom or close neighbor.

If building a new pool, put in a dedicated return line. Discharge on ours is routed to filter pump suction and occasionally air binds filter pump on startup.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Also to add if you have a waterfall or bubblers you can achieve a similar effect
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Had my pool guys pour the pump pad oversized so we could add a cooler later if we wanted. Pool morons just spread out all the standard equipment over the larger pad so there is no room.
preston
Ktownag and Animal Eight. What size chillers do you have relative to your pool size? The Glacier FAQ on the website says no need to buy a bigger model than your pool volume but I talked to our pool builder about installing and he's recommending going double (at a minimum) the size of the chiller. So 40k Chiller for 20k pool for example.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Have him price both for you. The 45k is 1.5x more than the 25k. It has 2" piping instead of 1.5", so IN THEORY, it moves 1.5x more water through it.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Also to add if you have a waterfall or bubblers you can achieve a similar effect

I have both and water still touches 90* before dropping again in the evenings.
ktownag08
AG
Have the smaller one and pool is 15k gallons.

Agree on dedicated return for new pool. It's everyone's favorite spot to sit on the bench where the "cold" water comes out. Feels quite refreshing.
Sam Williams
AG
For those of you that have knowledge of the glacier chillers, do they work equally well on salt water vs chlorine pools? Does salt water decrease the lifespan of a pool chiller?
ktownag08
AG
Our pool is "salt water" and no issues. Even the pump that's submerged in the bottom collection basin is just fine.

In fact, all of our equipment, travertine decking, etc. is just fine. We've gone through several of these hard freeze and thaw cycles, extreme temps, ert with no cracking, rusting, or other problems.

The salt level in our pool is around 2800-3200 ppm at any given moment which isn't much and many "chlorine" pools are at similar levels.

I don't want to turn this into a SWCG thread, but I honestly don't know why anyone would do otherwise especially in a place like Houston. It pretty much takes care of itself, but to each their own.
FortWorthAg
AG
If you know anything about cutting, fitting and gluing PVC then you can easily install one yourself. Now if you want to tie it into your pool controller that may require some higher level skill.

As others have said the Glacier Pool Cooler works very well. It's the best thing I have ever purchased. Our pool was miserable for swimming from June to August with bathwater temps of 92-94. Running overnight and I can swim in 84-86 degree water during the heat of the day. Very refreshing.
Corps_Ag12
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

Are you running them during the day too?
rlb28
AG
This dropped our temp 3-4 degrees

Small flower fountain
RGRAg1/75
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

I sure do.
Corps_Ag12
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

I sure do.
That's part of your problem then. If you run them during the day you're warming the water back up by exposing the water to 100 degree air.
Hornbeck
RGRAg1/75 said:

Does anyone know of any distributors or certified installers in B/CS? Or will these Houston guys service the B/CS area?

Water project can put one in in B/CS. We looked at them, but fan sprays that run at like 4am, and the waterfall keep ours under 90.
RoyVal
AG
following this thread. I'm also interested in adding one of these to my pool in the Clear Lake area (south of Houston). Any aggie pool guys on here?
RGRAg1/75
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

I sure do.
That's part of your problem then. If you run them during the day you're warming the water back up by exposing the water to 100 degree air.

The entire pool is exposed to 100*+ air when it's over 100*. The water moving during the day facilitates evaporative cooling. Running the features during the day does not increase pool water temp.

My electric bill goes way up in the summer as I run my water features a lot, but it keeps my pool from going over 90*. It starts around 84* in the morning and goes up to 88-90* at peak heat of the day.

I'd like for it to stay at or below 85* at peak heat of the day.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Hornbeck said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

Water project can put one in in B/CS. We looked at them, but fan sprays that run at like 4am, and the waterfall keep ours under 90.

I'll look them up. Thx.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Sounds like an evaporative cooler is not for you then. I'd suggest a heat pump.

If you came to me and wanted a guaranteed 85 degree pool every day no matter the temperature outside in the summer then I'd sell you a heat pump chiller.
MS08
AG
Do those that have this Glacier Chiller have anything to warm the pool in the colder months? Thinking I would like to get March through October swim time.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Sounds like an evaporative cooler is not for you then. I'd suggest a heat pump.

If you came to me and wanted a guaranteed 85 degree pool every day no matter the temperature outside in the summer then I'd sell you a heat pump chiller.

Care to throw out an price range for the heat pump? ~40k gallons if that matters.
ktownag08
AG
Yes, the heater we usually only use for the hot tub can heat the whole pool. We do that probably 5-6 weekends a year.

Had a hell of a spontaneous pool party a couple New Year's ago since air temps were warm enough.

I've swam in my pool every month of the year comfortably due to my chiller and heater.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Probably $4,500 just for the unit for an AquaCal TropiCool heat pump chiller.

$5,500 for a Jandy VersaTemp heat/chill heat pump. (I'm a Jandy dealer).

Install would run $1,500-$2,000 for plumbing & electric, depending on if you needed to run additional power for the unit.

Comparatively, a GPC215 (>45k gallons) evaporative cooler will probably run $4,500 plus install of $1,500.
tgivaughn
AG
It may be THE solution but others include

jetted water features via Cabo Pools experts

shade tarps on bungees

reflective to dark floats ala Japanese technology used to both warm & cool swim waters
IMHO and am sticking to it
LostInLA07
AG
Can you recommend an installer in the Houston area (Woodlands)? I've been getting $12k quotes, so quite a bit different than what you listed.
jg07
AG
LostInLA07 said:

Can you recommend an installer in the Houston area (Woodlands)? I've been getting $12k quotes, so quite a bit different than what you listed.
I got a similar $11,700 quote for Tropicool TC1500 installed. Originally it was $14,300 before I talked it through with them (sales lady had gas piping in there, I still don't think she actually knows how it works).
StillNotAnAggie
LostInLA07 said:

Try Northside Pools. They have a store on 2978 and do a lot of work out in the Woodlands area.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Apparently I'm not charging enough! Holy crap that sounds like highway robbery.

Unfortunately I'm not any help as I'm in Fort Worth.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.