New Cordless Screwdriver Set

2,589 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bco2003
brush99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am in the market for a new cordless drill and wanted to get opinions. I have heard good things about the following Makita but have personally never used them before:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9D5L3M/ref=s9_simh_gw_g469_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=7R9GE61J7EQ3HF8DABDM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

Does anyone have one of the combination hammer/driver/drills and been happy with it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052MIH88/ref=s9_simh_gw_g469_i13_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=7R9GE61J7EQ3HF8DABDM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop
DriftwoodAg
AG
The Dewalt 20V impact driver is one of the best tools I've bought. It has been great at keeping me from stripping screws and they have a ton of other tools that use the same battery. The drill is too fast for using on screws. I would recommend getting both. Lowes typically puts the combo on sale periodically.
DriftwoodAg
AG
This will probably be cheaper around Thanksgiving https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-2-Tool-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-Li-ion-Brushed-Motor-Cordless-Combo-Kit-with-Soft-Case/3441524
Birddog
AG
Cordless screw drivers are pretty much all the same. I have them scattered all around the house, garage and truck.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Get the Makita drill/driver set.
chickencoupe16
AG
Any Makita that I've ever used was old, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've never been impressed by Makita. I use a 20V Dewalt drill at work and it's good but I'd personally recommend Milwaukee. I have a Milwaukee drill and driver, both 18V, and love them more than any other brand I've ever used.

Ultimately, though, pretty much any legitimate brand (meaning not Black and Decker and the like) will be good. Shoot, even Black and Decker has its place. There are, of course ,differences, but 90% of the time, 90% of people won't notice them.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I have Dewalt stuff. Unless I am driving more than about 15 3" screws my go to is the 12v drill. The 20v inpact driver gets used the most after that.
The Fife
I'll jump on the DeWalt bandwagon. I'd just recommend getting the larger of whatever kind of extra batteries there are out there or you'll need to swap out a couple of times while putting up a bunch of drywall.

We also have a lot of them at work and they seem to hold up pretty well to daily use.
histag10
AG
Birddog said:

Cordless screw drivers are pretty much all the same. I have them scattered all around the house, garage and truck.

Thanks for the laugh, I was thinking the same thing.

OP- I dont have a Makita drill, but we have liked everything else Makita we have. We have a DeWalt drill and like it okay
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I've never been impressed by Makita

Nothing wrong with Milwaukee, but if you look at reviews, I think you'll find Makita at the top of most of the power tools, drills and saws included. Every brand has someone that didn't like the tool for whatever reason.

I like Makita because, in addition to the quality I've gotten from the tool, the service center replaced the two batteries that came with it because the batteries were dead or wouldn't hold much of a charge. Given the use I'd had with it, the guy said, "no, they're supposed to last much longer with more use than that. Here's 2 new ones." Mine were taken care of and obviously weren't from heavy use on job sites, so he knew I was telling the truth on use. But he didn't hesitate.
beerag04
AG
I've had that Makita drill/impact set for several years and love it. Use to use it daily at work and it has always been great.
JP76
That Makita is good but my preference is Ridgid
If you register online you get a lifetime warranty even on batteries. I have 2 of the below sets that get used almost daily and have never had any issues other than a charger going bad.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-X4-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-R9602/205762719
Gigemags05
AG
I agree with those that say they're all probably good enough for the average to moderate diy/weekender.

I have ryobi and it's been great for 6 yrs. I put mine through pretty heavy use and abuse.

If I was buying a new set I'd definitely consider rigid bc of the battery warranty.

I work in construction and I see all the different brands used all the time.
UmustBKidding
For sure the rigid is top notch, and the warranty makes it the best option. But an 18v is not the most handy for working in many cases. Have Milwaukee, panasonic and Dewalt screw drivers. Milwaukee is good but battery fails often. Dewalt is heavy because of large 7.2 pack and they don't last either. The Panasonic is a good for my uses since it.has a calibrated clutch and I have tightened thousands of screws on terminals in electrical cabinets we have built and after many years had no failure from loose terminals.
Dewalt is owned by black and Decker, and they are better but not perfect. Ryobi nimh is consumer stuff I rate about the same as black and Decker and even harbor freight. The lipo helps the battery problems but still not great.
For drill driver, impact driver the rigid is best but with there was a great option for an electric screw driver, and small lightweight drill driver
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
If you go Dewalt get a set with bigger batteries than 1.5 Ah
Aggie1205
AG
Milwaukee
brush99
AG
This is all great feedback! Keep it coming...
brush99
AG
Looks like the Rigid combo kit is on sale for $159 right now. Is this as cheap as this kit will go or am I better off waiting until Black Friday time frame to get it a little cheaper?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-X4-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-R9602/205762719

Upon further research, this looks like a better kit because it has the hammer-drill-driver and bigger battery:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-R9624/206349868

Thanks again for all of the input!
UmustBKidding
http://www.techbargains.com/deal/438596/power-tools
UmustBKidding
Around Christmas they typically throw in the radio.into the bundle.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I'm looking at buying the Ridgid for myself for Christmas this year. My buddy has them for his contracting business & swears by them.
bco2003
AG
I like my Ridgid driver & impact drill. Haven't had to use it, but the warranty sounds good, in theory.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.