strippped screws on door hinge

2,476 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Rexter
zaab
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My young son was hanging on the door handle and it caused the top hinge of the door to pull out stripping the screws out of the door frame. Without re framing the door, what is the best way to fix this. Put wood putty in the holes and re-screw? Not sure a bigger screw would fit.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Toothpicks and wood glue. Wood putty is usually good just for cosmetic, go the toothpick and glue route.
txag2008
AG
Grab a piece of wood (1x4, 2x6, anything really) and use a utility knife or the claw part of a hammer to break off a sliver of wood. Take the sliver and put it in the stripped hole and hammer in as far as it will go. Break or cut off the excess sticking out. This 'new' wood will give the screw something to grab on to.

Another trick is to tap in a matchstick or 2 into the hole as much as you can and trim off the excess. This is basically the same method as above.
zaab
AG
Perfect. Thanks!
sawemoffshort07
AG
txag2008 and I both with a different iteration of the same thing. Cram new wood into the old hole to give you something to bite on to. I recommend glue in addition to whatever wood you put in there.
jtp01
AG
I've always used matchsticks instead of tooth picks, but it's all the same principle.
HeightsAg
Couldn't you also just use bondo?
The Fife
This will start with replacing one door and end up with swapping all of them out!
TexAg1987
If it is into the door frame then you need longer screws. You need to get into the 2x behind the frame.
Birddog
AG
I have used golf tee dipped in glue and hammered in in like a nail. Broke it off then re-attached. Works great.
zaab
AG
Birddog said:

I have used golf tee dipped in glue and hammered in in like a nail. Broke it off then re-attached. Works great.
This is what I ended up doing. Apparently my door frame is high quality MDF and was held in by 1/2" #8 screws. top builder workmanship!
dubi
AG
The Fife said:

This will start with replacing one door and end up with swapping all of them out!

Yep!
The Fife
TexAg1987 said:

If it is into the door frame then you need longer screws. You need to get into the 2x behind the frame.
That's what I would have done* since there has to be actual wood back there no matter what the jamb is made out of. I've never heard of a MDF jamb btw. Finger jointed, yes.

*if rebuilding the whole place over the next 4 years wasn't an option
Kid Shelleen 13
AG
Golf tee plus wood glue.
Agmechanic
AG
Pretty sure a full renovation is the only fix
Agmechanic
AG
Seriously though just use longer wood screws. You can go through the jamb and into the 2x4 framing
UnderoosAg
AG
Agmechanic said:

Seriously though just use longer wood screws. You can go through the jamb and into the 2x4 framing

Be careful not to Tim Taylor it up. If you stand on the drill and really sink the screws you can pull the jamb over and affection the swing and it's closing.
aggiepaintrain
AG
use dowel rods, i've done it and it works

https://www.google.com/amp/www.instructables.com/id/How-to-repair-stripped-screw-holes-for-a-door-hing/%3famp_page=true
texsn95
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

use dowel rods, i've done it and it works

https://www.google.com/amp/www.instructables.com/id/How-to-repair-stripped-screw-holes-for-a-door-hing/%3famp_page=true
Nice, I'll give that a try
idAg09
Dowel rods worked the best for me
Rexter
Drill the stripped hole to x size. Insert a dowel. Drill a small pilot hole. Re-attach hinge to frame.

Now take a 1x6 that is 18" long. On one end, trim the board to 2"wide, 6" long. Grab that part, use it as a handle, and tan some hide for being ignorant and tearing up the house.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.