Wiring Question - Need some help

1,402 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Long Live Sully
StewRo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying to install a new ceiling fan and struggling with the wiring connections. Here's what i have in the celing box:

Light Switch
Black
White
Red

Fan Switch
Black
White with black tape

Outlet
Black
White

I'm confused by the fan switch having a White wire with black tape. Can anyone provide some insight on what should tie together?

Stewart
The Fife
The black tape indicates that the wire is being used as a hot wire instead of neutral (typically these are white).

I'm confused why you are looking at an outlet and (multi-location) light switch? How are they involved with installing a ceiling fan?
txag2008
AG
It's hard to tell you what to tie together based upon that information, but a white(neutral) wire with black elec tape will typically indicate that it's being used as the switched hot for a lighting circuit.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Agree with the others regarding the black tape

Outlet?

Light kit on the fan or no?
StewRo
AG
There are 3 cables in the ceiling box.... One to the fan switch, one to the light switch for the fan, and another cable which i assume is running to an outlet elsewhere in the room.
Lone Stranger
Because you mention a red wire at a switch that would lead me to believe the fan and light can be operated independently from two separate locations (called a three way switch arrangement). Let us know if there is another set of switches on the other side of the room where the fan and light can be operated. In most of the three way switch arrangements you end up with a configuration of the switches where your white wire that would be a neutral becomes a hot switched leg and as mentioned, required to be marked to show it is hot. Then you google three way switch arrangements and that may help you out. Or it could be it was 3 way at one time and somebody decided to do away with one set of switches and you just have extra wires. Or.....lots of other potential possibilities depending on age and who has worked on it over the years.
Martin Q. Blank
Post pics. What you have said so far is very confusing.
Post removed:
by user
Long Live Sully
AG
First get a meter and figure out which wire in the switch box is hot. Or which in the ceiling is hot. Then post a pic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.