Building an elevated pool

4,865 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by rilloaggie
The Silverback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the process of building a new home....the rear of the house will be elevated 8' or so from the ground due to the elevation of the lot. So the back covered patio and deck will have an 8' drop to the ground.

Anyone have an idea of the price difference in elevating a pool so it is flush with the back patio compared to digging a hole and building a traditional pool on the ground level? Obviously the cost to build decking around the pool would be fairly expensive but would about engineering and building an elevated pool?

TIA

Flashdiaz
AG
so there's an 8 foot drop between the back patio and the ground?
Why not just put in some steps to go down to the pool.. I guarantee it will be cheaper.

and sorry I don't know how much more it would cost, I don't think i've seen a concrete above ground pool.
The Silverback
AG
We have some friends with a similar set up and it makes for almost having two separate outdoor areas....with small kids you can not hang out on the patio with the TV's, eating area, close to fridge, bathrooms, etc. You would be down below on the pool level and makes it quite a bit more inconvenient IMO. Not a deal breaker but if the costs were close would prefer to have the pool and the same level as the back patio.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Not an engineer by any stretch. But I'm going to assume that building a pool with an 8' foot wall that can support the internal water pressure, without the aid of the surrounding ground, is going to cost somewhere around all of the monies.
The Collective
AG
I would think it'd be cheaper to extend the pad of the home out and re-level the entire lot. Cheaper but not cheap.
civilized05
AG
1. Go buy an old drilling rig mud pit
2. Clean out and bring out to a level site
3. Build deck around it
4. Profit?

Most of your above ground pools are anywhere from 48"-54" due to water pressure and construction material. If you want to go deeper then you're looking at steel construction which may or may not work for you price-wise. Designing a "steel" pool enclosure wouldn't be that challenging, but the delivery, cost and upkeep may be prohibitive.

We've got some friends around Waco with a similar setup as what you're talking about and they have a typical above ground pool surrounded by a deck several steps below their main deck off the back of the house.
agnerd
AG
At least triple the cost of the pool, and probably more. You're well into 6 figures to go 8' high.
mustang6tee8
AG
I'd build a ground level pool and drop the patio down 8'. The patio cover could even be built to serve as an upper deck depending on the layout.
maverick12
AG
To me, a huge part of the benefit of having a pool is your pool view from your house. You probably loose this if you build it notably below the house elevation. I'm sure it's probably not cheap, but I have seen quite a few examples of what you are wanting to do.
PFG
AG
Can you do an 8ft cut into the hill and get yourself a flat spot to pour a nice slab on grade? The current scenario sounds like 1) Lots of concrete 2) Lots of money
IronRed13
AG
Walk out basement?
62strat
AG
The resort we stayed at in Jamaica had this.. the pool was pretty much up in the air on a steep hill. If you were out in the water, you could see the structure all underneath it. Steel beams, etc.

mustang6tee8
AG
Another benefit of ground level is you can have an awesome slide going into the pool.
rilloaggie
AG
We designed one for a home that sounds nearly identical to the scenario you described. Not sure how far along in the building process you already are but we relied on the foundation of the home to anchor a 12" thick steel reinforced retaining wall around the perimeter of the pool. From there the pool guys came in and added 12" of steel reinforced concrete pool shell. Basically have 24"thick wall around the entire pool structure so yeah, it's doable but concrete and a huge amount of rebar is not cheap! Here are some pics for reference

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.