Weeds in yard (HELP)

3,637 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Original AG 76
Aggiehunter34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I have started to use Randy Lemmon's program for my lawn and recently put down my winterizer fertilizer. Before that I put out my herbicide (Gallery for broadleaf weeds and Balan/Treflan mix for grassy weeds.

My question is that I already have a lot of weeds present and I know that the stuff I put down now will only help from new weeds growing. Do I need to kill the weeds I currently have in order to get to where I want to be? Or will they die out in the winter and the stuff I put down keep new weeds from growing?

If there is something I need to put down to kill current weeds, what would you recommend?

List of weeds that I know of:
Chamberbitter
Chickweed
Dollarweed
Geranium
Ground Ivy
Horsenettle
Nutsedge
Puncture Vine
Spotted Spurge
Green Kyllinga

Thanks in advance.
aezmvp
Aggiehunter34 said:

I have started to use Randy Lemmon's program for my lawn and recently put down my winterizer fertilizer. Before that I put out my herbicide (Gallery for broadleaf weeds and Balan/Treflan mix for grassy weeds.

My question is that I already have a lot of weeds present and I know that the stuff I put down now will only help from new weeds growing. Do I need to kill the weeds I currently have in order to get to where I want to be? Or will they die out in the winter and the stuff I put down keep new weeds from growing?

If there is something I need to put down to kill current weeds, what would you recommend?

List of weeds that I know of:
Chamberbitter
Chickweed
Dollarweed
Geranium
Ground Ivy
Horsenettle
Nutsedge
Puncture Vine
Spotted Spurge
Green Kyllinga

Thanks in advance.
Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Aggiehunter34
S
Thanks for your fantastic insight.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
You Could you spray some ortho southern weed killer on them... Or how hard would it be to pull them up? I'm not 100% sure in each of those but I would bet most will die when it freezes.
Olag00
AG
I have St Augustine and have had good luck with Atrazine and Sedgehammer for nutsedge.

Forgot to add, if you use Atrazine, you will need a surfactant to help it adhere to the weeds better. People have made their own surfactant using dish soap. There are amounts out there on the web. It doesn't take much.
ktownag08
AG
Nearly any weed killers you'll use mention not using them when the grass is about to go dormant (within 6 weeks or so) which it will be soon. At this point, you've done what you can do in my opinion without stressing the lawn too much and doing more damage. Let the cold kill off what it will, stick to the schedule, and use the proper grassy or broadleaf weed killer in the Spring once things really start growing again.

Be patient with the schedule. It works, but it's a process.
Aggiehunter34
S
Thanks so much for the input!
The Original AG 76
AG
Aggiehunter34 said:

Thanks so much for the input!
Ktown is exactly on point. Do not let our late summer fool you. We are very close to the dormant season . There is really no reason to go after the summer weeds now and most herbicides will also harm the good guys if applied this late.
This time of year is really the most important time regarding fertilizer and care. Grass needs a good winterizer for their roots over winter and a good fall and late winter application of the right herbicides are the best use of herbs. Stick to Randy's schedule and most too all be patient. It takes a few seasons.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.