Shower Pan?

1,612 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JP76
aggiefan2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am working a bathroom remodel and need someone to build out a custom sized shower pan. Who would I call to get bids on this? I am in BCS. Not handy, so please (for the sake of my wife) don't suggest I do it myself. Thanks.
Martin Q. Blank
I would think whoever is doing your tile could do it.
aggiefan2002
That's what I wondered. I was hoping that's the case.
maverick12
AG
Aren't shower pans just a type of thick plastic that are formed under the tile?
Martin Q. Blank
A custom one would use some sort of mortar that's shaped into place and slopped towards the drain.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Someone will correct me if I am a wrong, but the "right" way to do it is with mortar, then an expoxy pour that makes the pan. The smell is pretty bad/toxic but that is the method I have used and been told is the right way to do it.

We had a guy do ours...came by one day, threw down some mortar, dried overnight, then came back with some gauze like material that lines the bottom and up the walls 6-8 inches (I think he just used cardboard up the sides, stapled to frame), then poured the smelly stuff. Was here in total both days about 2 hours. Told me this is a full time job there is so much building going on.
The Fife
CapCity12thMan said:

Someone will correct me if I am a wrong, but the "right" way to do it is with mortar, then an expoxy pour that makes the pan. The smell is pretty bad/toxic but that is the method I have used and been told is the right way to do it.

We had a guy do ours...came by one day, threw down some mortar, dried overnight, then came back with some gauze like material that lines the bottom and up the walls 6-8 inches (I think he just used cardboard up the sides, stapled to frame), then poured the smelly stuff. Was here in total both days about 2 hours. Told me this is a full time job there is so much building going on.
There's more than one way to do it. The way I go is either to lay a layer of roofing felt on the subfloor, then make a mudbed directly on top of that and then waterproof it with Kerdi, or to go the easy way and just buy a Kerdiboard one.

Never seen anyone pour epoxy before.
JP76
I've seen and torn out numerous failed shower pans in BCS. I myself will not do a bathroom remodel with a tiled shower for the reason being most people in do not do them correctly. I highly recommend getting a 1 piece poured cultured marble pan to prevent headaches down the road. If you are dead set on a tiled pan then go with a Schluter system with a qualified installer.

http://www.aggielandcarpetone.com/tile-and-stone-floor/ceramic-and-porcelain-tile/schluter-kerdi-shower-drain
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.