Hooking up an ice machine in my garage

1,337 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CrossBowAg99
tamu2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My parents gifted me a large ice machine and I want to put it in my garage. I've got a water line on my exterior wall where I want to put it. The question is how hard is it to tap into that pipe? should I just get a plumber (and what could I reasonably expect one to charge me in Richardson).

I'm admittedly plumbing dumb, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
txag2008
AG
Pretty simple job for a plumber. He'll probabaly have to cut open the drywall within the garage to get to the existing water line. From there he'll sweat in a tee to give you a run for your ice maker. He'll probably run the new line in pex, I'd just advise against using shark bite fittings for the pex tie-ins since it'll be in-wall and a permenant solution.

Let's call it a 2-3hr job for the plumber (not including drywall patching) so maybe $300-400ish??
Ag In Texas
AG
Will the ice maker require a drain? Most larger units do.
tamu2009
AG
Yes it will. My dad had it draining out his garage door. He ran over down the wall and under the garage door. Was planning on so,etching similar as my drive slopes down and should drain easily.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Check with the OEM to make sure the higher/lower temps in the garage won't be a problem. I can imagine these things are in un-air conditioned places all over the country, but I'd want to be sure.
CrossBowAg99
AG
You need a good water filter ahead of the ice machine as well
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.