Garage Door Opener

2,182 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Texker
Señor Chang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I have a Genie garage door opener that was installed in 2011 by the previous owner. The warranty does not transfer from owner to owner. It has recently started acting up. It will open and close very very slowly. When opening, it will only go about halfway up and stop. When closing, it gets near the bottom and opens back up on its own. I have tried the following to fix it:

Unplugging and plugging back in after a few minutes
Lubricating all moving parts
Tightening chain to correct tightness
Adjusting screws on unit to adjust opening/closing force
Detaching door from the chain and opening/closing manually. Door operated smoothly like this

I was wondering if there is anything else I should try before buying a new unit. If I do buy a new one, are there any recommendations? This is for a two car garage door.
The Fife
I'd double check the alignment and clean the sensors near the bottom of the door just to eliminate that factor.
Señor Chang
AG
Forgot to put that, but I did check the sensors and they were good to go.
Vernada
AG
The Fife said:

I'd double check the alignment and clean the sensors near the bottom of the door just to eliminate that factor.

This.

If that doesn't work then you could mess with the knobs on the back of the unit. If I recall they control how much force the unit exerts. When mine started doing this it was because of an issue with the springs. Everytime it would start acting up, I'd increase the force a bit and it would work for 6-8 months. Eventually I had it cranked all the way up and had to get the springs replaced.
Señor Chang
AG
How do I check the alignment?

I did talk to Genie customer service earlier and they had me manually open the door halfway to see if it stayed in that position, and it did, which they said was a good thing.
Señor Chang
AG
Checked the alignment and it is good.
Checked the sensors and they are good.
Cranked the force knobs all the way up and no difference.

Any recommendations for a new unit?
Will I have any trouble installing it if I am fairly handy?
JP76
Pull the disconnect and see if the door manually goes up and down fine. It should not slam to the ground and if it does the spring has either broke or lost tension.
Señor Chang
AG
I have already tried that and it operates fine manually.
AgResearch
AG
If you gently push up on the door while it's attempting to open will it open all the way?

If so, the spring needs the tension adjusted. Had to have this done with a large shop door.
txaggrad1994
AG
Sounds like an issue I was having with one of my openers. Unit was a little over a year old and was doing the same things yours is. I tried all of the adjustments, sensors, etc... Ended up calling someone out to look at it and the circuit board was messed up. Luckily it was still under warranty.
Señor Chang
AG
I tried pushing up on the door while it was opening, but it still stopped about 2/3 of the way up. I am going to buy a new unit this weekend and install it. Could be a circuit board issue, but since it's not under warranty, it will probably be easier to buy a new one.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand or model?
sawemoffshort07
AG
Ive heard good things about the https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-3800-Residential-Jackshaft-Garage/dp/B000MT7WV4
Vernada
AG
Seor Chang said:

Checked the alignment and it is good.
Checked the sensors and they are good.
Cranked the force knobs all the way up and no difference.

Any recommendations for a new unit?
Will I have any trouble installing it if I am fairly handy?

Last time I had my garage door opener replaced with some genie opener and it costs less than $300. IMO pay someone at does it all the time and don't worry about it.
Mollie03
AG
I had a Genie when I moved in and it was terrible. The model I had was one with known issues, there may be some better ones. I replaced with a Liftmaster and have had no issues. Paid $99 to have it installed.
Vernada
AG
To be clear mine included the cost of the opener.
Texker
AG
We had a LiftMaster installed a couple years back. Super quiet belt drive. Like the MyQ function too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.