Pellet Grill

3,657 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BQRyno
JarAG2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone here ever used a pellet smoker/grill?

Gander has a Camp Chef DLX for sale fro around $450. I have read the reviews online and seems like a good starter for a pellet grill.

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions let me know. Thanks.
mm98
AG
Watchlisted. For same reason.
aezmvp
So here is the deal. A good pellet smoker/grill is great if you don't have the time/ability to monitor heat. It can do quite a bit and do it well and you only have to go out to mop, baste or re-fill pellets. But it does take a little of the fun out. But if you're doing a lot of entertaining it's a great tool.
HeightsAg
Don't know where you are located but if in Houston, I have a brand-new, still in the box Rec Tec Mini that I'm looking to sell. Let me know if interested. Otherwise, it's going on Craigslist this weekend.
Sooner Born
I had a traeger and ended up selling it for a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain. It was a terrible grill and a mediocre smoker. It was fairly automated but so is the WSM if you know what you are doing.
SumAggie
did a lot of research and bought the Weber Smoky Mountain. LOVE IT! I can turn out some of the best brisket we have ever had. Easy to learn how to use and easy to operate and get great results.
Sooner Born
Where should I send my consulting bill?
flown-the-coop
AG
I've had a Traeger for the past 8 years or so. I will 2nd what aezmvp said above, it takes the fun out of charcoal grilling but it is also more akin to cooking in an oven. In fact, easy to make a good pizza or cook sides on.

The plus side of the pellet is the automation and constant temperature. I may lose my man card, but my wife does all the grilling now and we find ourselves grilling most of our meals. No worries of flare ups and it does deliver a nice grilled flavor.

The down side... I would not call it BBQing by any stretch. I am sure you could get a nice brisket out of it but I never liked it as a smoker. On the flip side, it maxes out at about 450 degrees so no charred & rare steak and I would prefer to cook fajita meat a little hotter than it can.

Simple choice is whether you want an easy to use option or you enjoy sitting out with a glass of whiskey, flipping meat, stoking the fire and watching the thermometer.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
For what it's worth, if you want easy, go buy an electric smoker like a cookshack. You will get really good brisket with very little effort. IMO, electrics will maintain moisture better but the Bark takes some practice and will suffer a little.

Additionally, it allows me to wake up early on a weekday, put a brisket in before I leave for work, and have it ready at night when I get home.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
My husband bought one last week...don't remember seeing brand but it is the most hideous thing he has ever bought...burnt orange with a pig on it and antler/horn looking handles on the lid. I was about to confront him about it and decided I might need the WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING? look later. I hope he bought a cover for the ugly sucker!
Gary79Ag
AG
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09 said:

My husband bought one last week...don't remember seeing brand but it is the most hideous thing he has ever bought...burnt orange with a pig on it and antler/horn looking handles on the lid. I was about to confront him about it and decided I might need the WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING? look later. I hope he bought a cover for the ugly sucker!
Is this the look Mom?

S
No, I'm not all BSC and wild just the stare look right through you kind of woman!
On closer inspection it's a bull on the logo not a pig. Our garage ceiling fell yesterday so I was up close and personal with several garage items.
Gary79Ag
AG

No, I'm not all BSC and wild just the stare look right through you kind of woman!
On closer inspection it's a bull on the logo not a pig. Our garage ceiling fell yesterday so I was up close and personal with several garage items.
Ah, so more like this look?

Sorry to hear about the ceiling issue...hope you didn't get hurt...

Just saw on the washing machine thread about a Samsung recall and determined ours, that we bought a few months ago, is on the list. DANG IT... Don't even want to see what my face looked like when I discovered that issue.
beb06
AG
I have a Rec Tec pellet smoker and love it.
S
good news to me...he bought a cover! It is now on our patio COVERED UP!
Why in the world would a staunch Former Student buy something burnt orange with cow horns as handles is beyond me but not my first Why in The World moment!
aezmvp

good news to me...he bought a cover! It is now on our patio COVERED UP!
Why in the world would a staunch Former Student buy something burnt orange with cow horns as handles is beyond me but not my first Why in The World moment!
Queue every HGTV viewer in the history of forever yelling "It's just paint!" But yeah he really needs to paint.
S
Agree its JUST PAINT if you are passing on a fabulous house priced below market value....its blasphemy if you are an Aggie and knowingly, willingly buy a burnt orange, shiny grill with cow horn handles!
AgConductor
I have a traeger and it's absolutely amazing. Literally put the meat on and set the dial insert the digital probe ... go get drunk and play corn hole for hours with buddies.
AggieSam02
AG
We recently started carrying the Louisiana pellet grills. I'm very impressed so far. We cooked biscuits and sausage for breakfast at the store last weekend and the biscuits turned out perfectly cooked and even across the board. Very easy and almost fool proof. Great flavor. If you like the flavor of wood/charcoal but the ease of gas, a pellet can give you both. Check out the Louisiana line versus Traeger. Better specs all the way down.
Courtesy Flush
AG
AgConductor said:

... go get drunk and play corn hole for hours with buddies.
Sorry, but I just won't ever be able to get used to that.
BQRyno
AG
After a lot of research, and after deciding it would just be a smoker, not a grill, I bought a Mak Grills 2 Star General. My reasoning was that I wanted smoked food more often than I had time to babysit my offset, and it was money well spent. It's pricey, but it's built to last, and the customer service is great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.