Let's talk dishwashers

2,689 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by VAXMaster
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our low mid end generation dw is on its last legs. Starting to research replacement options.

Want to get something a little nicer. Want ss tub. Debating on the third rack option. Have been looking at the mid range Bosch models and kitchen aids.

Have had bad luck recently with whirlpool and ge. So those are out. (not sure who actually make kitchenaid)

Want to stay under 800. Seems possible with decent sales and not being in a hurry.
Texker
AG
We have a Bosch we purchased at Lowes. I'm not up on dw's as ours is 10 years old. Still very quiet and no issues. It does not have a heating element which took a little getting used to but haven't ruined anything in it.
aezmvp
The third rack is ridiculously useful.
histag10
AG
We have a newer Bosch (2 or 3 years old). Can't hear it when it's on.
MrJonMan
AG
Bosch, got it at the beginning of the year when we remodeled the kitchen. 3rd rack is surprisingly always used and just like the others, very quiet. It has a red light that shines on the floor when running....otherwise you usually wouldn't know
03_Aggie
With the Bosch, make sure you leave the door cracked between uses. The smell is something awful if you don't.
Tree Hugger
AG
03_Aggie said:

With the Bosch, make sure you leave the door cracked between uses. The smell is something awful if you don't.

I was wondering about that. We got a KitchenAid earlier this year and that has been an issue at times.
cz308
We purchased the KitchenAid earlier this year and love it. It was about the same price as the Bosch, but it has a heating element in it. I think the only regrets are that it has top controls.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Love my kitchenaid with heated dry. Lowes puts all their appliances on sale in November so you should be able to get a good deal. Between their sale and ebates I got mine for less than $600.
histag10
AG
03_Aggie said:

Never had this issue with mine.
Texker
AG
histag10 said:

03_Aggie said:

Never been an issue with ours either.
03_Aggie
It certainly doesn't impact 100% of them but I believe it's a fairly well known issue with them. Some think it's related to the fact they don't use a heating element and some moisture remains in the bottom of the dishwasher.

I like ours but it definitely suffers from the issue. All we do is crake sure the door doesn't latch when we close it and it's a non issue. Close it all the way though and it's going to stink when you open it.
The Fife
The LG I installed in a house we sold in SA a few years ago was like that for sure. No heating element and no means of venting = stinky if closed all the way. I think some models that don't have a heater have a ventilation fan or some way of moving air around. Our Miele opens a few inches automatically and I hear a faint humming sound if I listen closely - I assume that some of the non-stinky Bosches do something similar.
jamesf
AG
What is the advantage to not having a heating element? Are all the dishes wet at the end of the cycle?
MrJonMan
AG
Texker said:

histag10 said:

03_Aggie said:

Never been an issue with ours either.

Mine either, but we use ours 2-3 times a week
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
Why would you buy a DW without a heating element?
The Fife
jamesf said:

What is the advantage to not having a heating element? Are all the dishes wet at the end of the cycle?
Just an energy thing. To be honest I had no idea that dishwashers were even allowed to come with one any more.

And the wet at the end of the cycle thing depends. For example with the LG I mentioned you had to come along not long after it was complete and open the door. Our Miele on the other hand opens the door a couple of inches automatically and a fan or something causes them to dry out on their own.
OnlyForNow
AG
We went with the kitchen aid over the Bosch for the heating element.

Only thing I don't love about it, are the location of the controls (you'll touch with your legs while loading unloading if you stand in front of the door). The heating element is great but does get the dishes and flatware super hot at the end of the cycle.

Quiet as a mouse!
03_Aggie
I guess there's the advantage of not have to worry about "top rack only" dishes. You can put plastic items on the bottom rack without fear of melting them.

I'm not sure how the technology works, but it uses hot water and steam to create the heat to dry the dishes. It works well except for plastic items. Those tend to still be wet after a cycle.
outlawag
AG
Had a Bosch in my old house. Best dishwasher we've owned. quiet as a mouse.

New home was supplied with whirlpool, brand new build and it crapped out after 1 year. replaced it with an LG and the washing motor had to be replaced under warranty because it started making a high pitched whistle that drove everyone in the house crazy. new motor is quiet (for now). it has the 3rd rack which is awesome.

I should have bought another Bosch. Worth the money for sure.

And use the jet-dry, it works for drying plastic stuff.
Wife is an Aggie
Bought a 3 rack Bosch about 6 months ago. Thing is great. Can't hear it and it definitely doesn't smell.

Third rack is awesome and all our dishes are always dry just make sure you keep the jet dry filled up.
The Fife
Our top rack is for forks, spoons and things like that. Is that the same kind of top rack that Bosches have?
03_Aggie
It's built to hold silverware but I've never used it for that. It still comes with the traditional moveable basket that fits multiple places in the bottom rack for silverware.

We've always used ours for spatulas, tongs and lids for the kids' cups.
ftworthag02
AG
one of my customers owns a high end appliance repair company and he told me to go w/ kitchenaid. Easier to get parts and easier to repair compared to Bosch. Very quiet, does a great job cleaning, and everything comes out dry!
OnlyForNow
AG
This was another reason we went with the KA.
outlawag
AG
Just FYI, Whirlpool makes KitchenAid appliances.
OnlyForNow
AG
Yet the whirlpool dishwashers are all rated WAY below the high end KA ones...
VAXMaster
AG
Last summer we put in the Kitchenaid with the gear driven bottom spray arm and I'm about to spend my morning taking it apart. It quit working this week and there are remnants of a paper towel or maybe a paper napkin in the strainer but it turns out the micro filter is only accessible by removing and disassembling the motor. Hopefully I can clean that out and that's it. Other than this incident, the unit has worked well. It is extremely quiet, you really only hear the draining action back through the sink.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.