Laying sod over grad/weeks

1,453 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a house last year and the front yard was 1/2 St. Augustine and 1/2 weeds. I cut down and thinned some trees in hopes that the St. Augustine would take over the weeds but it didn't. The St. Augustine itself got thicker but didn't travel into the weeds. I know it probably would over the course of several years, but I don't want to wait.

The weeds are in the area around the sidewalk at the very front of the front yard. The St. Augustine is from the house and about 1/2 way to the sidewalk. My front yard slopes down pretty good from the half way point where the weeds start down to the sidewalk. Can I attempt to get most of the weeds thinned/removed and lay dirt over the remaining weeds and still get sod to grow. It will be a pain remove all the weeds and get it down to dirt. I'd basically have to spray weed killer and then wait I don't know how long for the weed killer to run off before laying the dirt/sod.
Max06
AG
Use RoundUp to spray the weeds. You're good to sod 24hrs later.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Max06 said:

Use RoundUp to spray the weeds. You're good to sod 24hrs later.

You'll need to let the roundup work before just laying sod. The ground would be ok a day after spraying but the weeds won't be dead..

Spray weeds with round up, give them a week to be good and dead, mow at lowest level/string trimmer all the weeds down. Rake out dead stuff, put down some good organic matter/starter soil/compost.. lay sod and water heavily.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.