LED replacement bulb question

3,459 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by chap
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't seem to find this on Google. Can LED replacement bulbs be used in a closet or somewhere that is required to have a cover on the canister? Seems like I remember reading a while ago that LED bulbs need to be vented. I would think since they don't get as hot as CFL bulbs that they will be ok. I had one go out in my closet and want to replace everything with LED over time as they go out.
Bregxit
AG
If you are talking about fixtures like what my wife calls "Boobie lights", we have had no issues putting the CREE LED bulbs in those. I have had them in all of our fixtures for about 2 years now and all still look great, none have gone out or flickered or anything.

Boobie light for reference:

aezmvp
Seen this a couple of places as well. I've been using some Philips Hue bulbs including one in a fairly enclosed spot in a fan fixture. I've had no problem. They don't get as hot as the CFL. The only thing is that if it is a vented light you may have to blow out any dust with some compressed air.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Thinking more along the lines of this

Or this

Bregxit
AG
I have one over our shower like your second picture. No problems there either.
aggiepaintrain
AG
You can put them anywhere.

I was so impressed with the lack of heat they put out I replaced all my flood lights, and it dropped my electric bill by $50-75 per month. (lots of cans)

LostInLA07
AG
Restoration Hardware is telling us that we can't use LED bulbs in some of their fixtures. Saying we need to buy special LED fixtures. Is this BS? Why would it matter?
Thomas Ford 91
AG
You may have a problem with LEDs in picture #1. Not heat, but size. I tried to put two different 100w equivalent LEDs in a fixture like that, but both were too fat to fit in the top.
DeBoss
AG
Restoration Hardware should answer your question. You do not have to put in anything special to use LED bulbs. They are just trying to sell you something more expensive. I know a girl who used to design houses for RH and she wouldn't have a clue as to why, but that is what she was told to sell to her customers.
aezmvp
skdeford said:

Restoration Hardware should answer your question. You do not have to put in anything special to use LED bulbs. They are just trying to sell you something more expensive. I know a girl who used to design houses for RH and she wouldn't have a clue as to why, but that is what she was told to sell to her customers.
I think this is pretty accurate. Are you doing smart lighting or just conventional LED? Also they make some specific downlights in LED.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-456681-White-Ambiance-Generation/dp/B014H2OZ3O/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1476477966&sr=8-13&keywords=philips+hue+led

That's specialized but there are others that aren't that expensive.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Probably depends on the brand of replacement bulb. The ones I bought are from Phillips and the base of them are pretty close. In my rent house I can't use CFLs in spots because they are too fat.
TexAg1987
https://www.earthled.com/collections/led-light-bulbs-suitable-for-enclosed-fixtures-fully-enclosed-fixture-rated-led-light-bulbs

http://www.bulbs.com/product/9-5A19-LED-827-22-DIM?RefId=375
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
$8 a bulb! Wow!! HD had a special on the Phillips and I got em for $1/each
mm98
AG
Seven said:

They've come down a lot. I think Walmart carries the 60w equivalent LEDs in the standard size for about $3-4 for a 2 PK
TexAg1987
Seven said:

The post was to point out that there are bulbs made for totally enclosed fixtures. I wasn't trying to push a website or saying that I thought these were good prices. Sorry for any confusion. These can probably be found locally.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
So according to that, you have to have a special bulb for an enclosed fixture and a regular LED won't work?
InMyOpinion
My entire house is LED. Enclosed, recessed, ceilings fans, garage and all exterior I have all types and no issues
The Fife
Seven said:

Thinking more along the lines of this

Or this

LEDs should be fine, but they won't do anything to keep scorpions from falling onto the glass.
TexAg1987
Seven said:

So according to that, you have to have a special bulb for an enclosed fixture and a regular LED won't work?

I am sure it will. Potential is there for overheating, which may cause the light to turn off or shorten life.

Some won't have issues at all. Compact florescent lights have the same warnings.
chap
AG
This is interesting. I have never heard this before and I never remember seeing any warnings in packaging. But I only have Cree bulbs and I just read that it is one of the few brands that says they can be used in enclosed fixtures.
UnderoosAg
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

You can put them anywhere.

Read the package. Some will state they can't be used in an enclosed fixture. They run cooler, but you still have to get the heat off the driver.
BrazosDog02
AG
They are cooler. That's the reason to get them. You won't save anymore on them otherwise. It's like buying a new car to save gas. Lol. Get them for better light or less heat but any savings in energy will be offset and exceeded by cost of bulbs. And I've also had them fail....some before they were installed...some shortly after. Not a big deal since I can return but a pain.

I put them in my kitchen. They only installed 7 cans and the incandescents weren't cutting it for light output. 150 watt floods were nice but HOT. Found LED bulbs that out out 1.5 times the light and it was easier than installing more cans.
Bregxit
AG
Bumping this to add my recent experience with CREE bulbs.

As I have said before, I have CREE is just about every fixture in my house now. I just recently experienced my first failure with one which was a Gen 1 75W equivalent I bought probably 2 years ago. I no longer had the receipt but inquired about warranty anyway on the CREE site. I got a response back that it was no problem and the are FedEx'ing me a replacement at no cost and no need to send the failed unit back.

Looks like their 10-year warranty is definitely no BS!
FiTxAg04
AG
Wow, that's great service! I just started replacing all my builder-grade CFL floods (crap) with Cree LEDs as they fail. I'm definitely paying for the name up front, but I figured it was worth it with their warranty. I've made a file for all my receipts. I've just been using the cheap Home Depot Phillips bulbs for all our lamps, and I've been pleased with those, too, especially for the price.
chap
AG
dlance said:

Bumping this to add my recent experience with CREE bulbs.

As I have said before, I have CREE is just about every fixture in my house now. I just recently experienced my first failure with one which was a Gen 1 75W equivalent I bought probably 2 years ago. I no longer had the receipt but inquired about warranty anyway on the CREE site. I got a response back that it was no problem and the are FedEx'ing me a replacement at no cost and no need to send the failed unit back.

Looks like their 10-year warranty is definitely no BS!
Wow, that is good to know. I have all CREEs in my house as well. I have had a few fail and I have always just gone back to Home Depot and they've swapped them for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.