Recessed canned lighting cost?

3,007 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ProudAg04
AggieT12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at having 6 recessed canned lights installed in my formal living room. Older home (1960s) but plenty of overhead attic space above. What's a reasonable range in price I should expect to pay? Located in Houston.
txag2008
AG
~$15/housing x6
~$20/bulb * trim (led) x6
~$40 worth of romex
=$250 in materials

~2hr of labor ~$150

At the minimum you're looking at $400 to have someone to do it. Don't be surprised if it's upwards of $100/light or higher though.
TexAg1987
I'm thinking 2hrs to install six lights is low. Especially if you need to start from scratch and pull wire and do layout.
archangelus2
AG
Our Low-Voltage recessed can lights were $200 each installed + $125 for the dimmer switch. Totally worth it.
txag2008
AG
Crazy

I believe you, just can't see how 6 can lights is $1200+
Waterski02
AG
A few manufactures make "disc" lights, basically LED retrofit kits, just cut the drywall, and tighten the tabs. Save the effort of putting in the housings. I've bought them from HD in the past.
txag2008
AG
That's a decent suggestion, but usually if people are looking at paying someone to do it, cutting the drywall and installing the housings isn't what scares them away, it's the electrical part.
07bluebonnet
Our electrician charged us $75 per can light.
UnderoosAg
AG
txag2008 said:

Crazy

I believe you, just can't see how 6 can lights is $1200+

Ceiling height
Ceiling slope
Access above
Age of house
Power source location
New circuit versus connecting to existing
$6 Halo cans from HD versus spec grade fixtures
Hassle tax

Not saying it might not still be high, but all houses are not created equal.
UnderoosAg
AG
txag2008 said:

That's a decent suggestion, but usually if people are looking at paying someone to do it, cutting the drywall and installing the housings isn't what scares them away, it's the electrical part.

Interestingly enough, the hardest part in putting in can lights is cutting gyp board and getting wire pulled.
txag2008
AG
Agreed
rononeill
we paid 1 remodeler $50per, we're paying our current contractor $40per.
TX87JL09
AG
Can anyone post a few names of people that they've used in the past that were reasonable and did a good job?
Marvin_Zindler
AG
In Houston?
ProudAg04
AG
Here's my suggestion:

1. Grab wife, ladder, tape measure, and stud finder. Lay out location of lights on ceiling. This alone can take 2 hours depending on the wife factor.

2. Figure out if you are using an existing light switch (much work saved if you are). If you are, make sure that switch controls an existing light in the are where you want the light installed.

3. Run to HD and pick up a case of cans (IC-rated, old work), a 250' roll of 14/2 wire, and the one-piece LED bulb/housing combo lights.

4. Contact me if you can't find someone trustworthy to do it for less than $300.

Keep in mind: depending of the tools that are used to cut holes, this can be a VERY dusty job that will leave everything within a 20' radius covered in a beautiful layer of pixie dust.

Good luck!
JP76
ProudAg04 said:

Here's my suggestion:

1. Grab wife, ladder, tape measure, and stud finder. Lay out location of lights on ceiling. This alone can take 2 hours depending on the wife factor.

2. Figure out if you are using an existing light switch (much work saved if you are). If you are, make sure that switch controls an existing light in the are where you want the light installed.

3. Run to HD and pick up a case of cans (IC-rated, old work), a 250' roll of 14/2 wire, and the one-piece LED bulb/housing combo lights.

4. Contact me if you can't find someone trustworthy to do it for less than $300.

Keep in mind: depending of the tools that are used to cut holes, this can be a VERY dusty job that will leave everything within a 20' radius covered in a beautiful layer of pixie dust.

Good luck!

All good advice except you probably need 12/2 and not 14/2
ProudAg04
AG
Why do you suggest 12?
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Lights are usually on a 15 amp circuit on 14/2 as far as I know......but I'm not a licensed electrician, so take that for what it's worth.
UnderoosAg
AG
Depends on the particular installation.

20A circuit, lighting or otherwise = 12/2 with ground
15A circuit, lighting or otherwise= 14/2 with ground.
Some municipalities require minimum #12 regardless
AggieT12
AG
Ended up finding a local handyman/electrician. Charged $100/can and $50 for a dimmer. I bought the led bulbs myself but everything else was included. Very happy with the outcome! All in all it cost me $700 and they finished in 3hrs for 6cans.
JP76
ProudAg04 said:

Why do you suggest 12?

Because it's highest probability that it is a 20 amp breaker if the service was installed in the last 30 years. Even if it was 15amp 12/2 will suffice but running 14/2 on 20 amp circuit is no bueno.
ProudAg04
AG
Solid logic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.