Re-routing AC drain line to tie into plumbing system

12,584 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MaroonOutAustin
DRE06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 1968 house and both the primary and secondary A/C drain line drains to the outside of my house. My understanding is that the primary AC line is normally tied into the plumbing (sink or shower?).

Because mine is always draining outside, the drainage area next to my house is always wet & muddy.

Is it possible to tie the primary drain line into my plumbing system?
Dr. Doctor
AG
Yes.

Might have to put in a "P" trap to prevent sewer gas getting into the AC system. The trick will be finding a pipe to tap into. I think you might be able to get into a vent line, if that's close enough, but don't quote me on that. A sink drain (or tub) would be best.

~egon
Koko Chingo
AG
Chances are that your condensate drain is already plummet into tour system via a vent and it's clogged. Because it's clogged it is now coming out of the overflow pan.

It's fairly common. To be safe, call a plumber. If it's clogged they can unclog it. If it needs to be added to a vent line, they can do that too. Best case they unclog it right away and you are out a service call fee. Worst case a couple hours of labor and some Pvc. Not too bad
EMY92
AG
No, many homes have HVAC systems that aren't tied to plumbing.

I can follow mine directly outside.

If you are wanting to connect to your plumbing, you may need a condensate pump. You might have a spare electrical outlet where your furnace/blower plugs in.
MaroonOutAustin
If you can't see it draining, then how would you know when it gets clogged except for a stain on the ceiling? Or are you going to do this on the primary and wait for the secondary to signal any clog?

My house is 5 years old and has a drain line on the side of the house (primary), and the other on the front porch (secondary). We put a 5 gallon bucket below the primary drain and I'll have a full bucket by the end of the day to water the trees during the summer.
Señor Chang
AG
MaroonOut, I have the exact same situation. Put a bucket under the drain because the yard in that area was turning into a swamp. Easily get over 5 gallons a day.
JP76
Seor Chang said:

MaroonOut, I have the exact same situation. Put a bucket under the drain because the yard in that area was turning into a swamp. Easily get over 5 gallons a day.

Take a 5 gallon bucket and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of it and on the edges about 6 inches from the bottom. Next dig a hole where it drips and bury the bucket with the top just below grade. Fill the bucket up with pea gravel. This will help disperse the water lower and keep the upper part of the yard drier.
FincAg
AG
Awesome, will be doing that soon. The st augustine on that side of the house might not like it, but I sure will.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Home I grew up in, AC drained into the vent for the bathroom tub/shower.
MaroonOutAustin
You have to think about the soil type if you do this. I'm just south of Austin in Buda, and we have Houston Black Clay. It takes a while for that clay to dry out, and it doesn't drain very well once saturated.

You also don't want a saturated mess close to the foundation. When we have left for a long while on vacation, we will put a scrap piece of gutter (about 4ft) on the drain and have it flow into the yard.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.