Wooden Fence Costs?

4,230 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mollie03
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the approximate/ rough estimate cost for a 6 ft. cedar fence with metal posts? In the B/CS if that matters. Thanks!
histag10
AG
are you putting it up yourself, or will you hire it out?
Gary79Ag
AG
Don't know but can be pretty costly if you do it the SOL way!

New fence issues with neighbor. Best way to resolve.
Satellite of Love
It can be a PITA.
turfman80
AG
quote:
are you putting it up yourself, or will you hire it out?

Hire it out.
AW 1880
AG
I got a quote for $10k for 270 ft of cedar with rot board and metal posts. This is in the Plano area.
Ikanizer
AG
I just paid $23/ft but it was all treated wood/cedar. Included tearing out the old one that lasted 25 years.
SCHTICK00
AG
AW 1880 said:

I got a quote for $10k for 270 ft of cedar with rot board and metal posts. This is in the Plano area.

That's insane. Material cost per ft is about 12.00. Typically a contractor will double that for total cost.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

AW 1880 said:

That's insane. Material cost per ft is about 12.00. Typically a contractor will double that for total cost.
Fence prices are insane in the Metroplex right now... and especially Collin County.

We got quoted between $3500 and $5000 for 110 LF of cedar fence in McKinney.

I'll be doing it myself for that much. Just need to rope in a few buds that are dumb enough to help.
Mollie03
AG
Just got a bid for $3600 for about 80 feet of 6 ft. cedar with the kick board across the bottom, tearing out the old chain link fence. That seems high for DFW. Does anyone have a contact for a fence around here for less than that?
Tree Hugger
AG
I paid about $24/ft three years ago
Gigemags05
AG
I used to build fences on the side for extra $$ in north dfw. I charged $18-$20/lf. for a 6 ft cedar fence with metal posts and treated 2x4 stringers and haul off of old fence.

I say that to say this: if you can find a part timer with low/no overhead and your scedule is flexible you can save a lot of money and get a great finished product.

My job now has dictated that I don't take on many/any fence jobs now, but I know there are guys who do the same thing I did.
ags2007
AG
I paid $15.50 a foot for a 6', pressure treated posts and stingers, with cedar pickets and a 2x4 rot board on the bottom. That included tearing down the old fence and hauling it away. In San Antonio. Not sure how much additional it would have been for metal posts, but probably in the $18 range.
bunlundun
AG
I am in Collin county / DFW and just got quoted around 3800 for the below...

70 ft of 8' red cedar board on board
Removal of old fence
Cedar 24 horizontal rails (4 for 8' fence)
1 standard gate
2x6 treated base board
12ft of 2x6 retaining wall
'Heavy gauge' steel posts set 3ft deep

I was pretty surprised and thought the quote was high, but maybe I am wrong based on some of the above posts. I really dont have the time and resources to do it myself right now and it needs to be done. Should I expect to find cheaper in the area?
Mollie03
AG
What company was that? Doesn't sound too far off from what I just got when I found out I needed a retaining wall. I'm up to $4280 for one quote, 84 ft, side by side, 60ft retaining wall, double trim, 2 gates, number 1 cedar and stained. I'm going to get a couple more bids and decide what to do. Fences are expensive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.