Leaky pond... need to fix

1,645 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Belton Ag
Terk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a 20+ year old 13K gallon leaky koi pond at the new place. Early on, it was just a couple gallons a month, I figured it was mostly just evaporation, but now we're looking at 5-10K gallons a week in leaks. At the rate it's losing water, I am getting close to a fairly short ROI just to rip it out and replace.

Pond is several feet deep, reinforced shotcrete walls. What's my best shot at repairing this thing? It appears to be several cracks all over the place, so would draining and repairing cracks be ideal, have a crew shoot on additional shotcrete, roll on the epoxy to a decent thickness?

Anyone have any experience with this?
ANSCags
AG
Cleaned out our 100+ y/o cement pond this spring. Grinded out couple of known cracks, refilled with hydraulic cement (from box stores), applied fiberglass mesh over cracks with thickened Pond Armour to seal repair. Applied Pond Armour over entirety of pond surface. Tip: call and talk to someone at Pond Armour, they are VERY helpful. Make sure PA dries well and stays dry, we had a little water get in which caused a bubble in the PA that we haphazardly sealed with silicone caulk, probably no more than a tablespoon. Added water and fish about 2 hrs later and next day ALL fish and Tadpoles were belly up. Pond guys from Waterlily Garden in Katy said had to be the caulk. Good luck!

On PA website there are some helpful repair articles as well.
BWnDallas
AG
Is one option to just drain and then cover with a edpm/rubber type pond liner and then refill? Seems like you would never have to worry about cracks again.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Flex seal will fix you right up
AgLA06
AG
quote:
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
And when you're done you can rip your screen door off and spray Flex Seal on it and float around your pond.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.