Brown Patch?

3,086 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Pale Rider
06thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Located in north Houston.

Noticed when I was mowing that what looked like healthy green grass was pulling up as the mower was going over it. Took these pics last Sunday and it still looks as green today, but i did notice this area is growing slower than some of the surrounding grass.

Could this just be the early stages of brown patch or something else?
lunchbox
Since you said North Houston, I am going to guess it is sod webworms.

http://abc13.com/news/webworms-turning-green-grass-brown-across-houston/1519714/

Get something like Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer and treat 2-3 times over the next 6 weeks.

The Home Depot and Lowes in the Humble/Kingwood area are sold out of the stuff....it is hitting everyone up there.
eeaggie11
AG
Ortho Bug B Gon will work too.
CrawfordAg
AG
Will Bifen-IT work for webworms?
wgk
AG
According to the label, Bifen IT, will work for sod webworms. It does say to not mow or irrigate for 24 hours after application for best results. I treated with it last week since that is what I had at the house and have noticed that the moths seem to be gone. I am going to follow up with the Bifen granules as well for the longer residual.
06thMan
AG
quote:
Since you said North Houston, I am going to guess it is sod webworms.

http://abc13.com/news/webworms-turning-green-grass-brown-across-houston/1519714/

Get something like Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer and treat 2-3 times over the next 6 weeks.

The Home Depot and Lowes in the Humble/Kingwood area are sold out of the stuff....it is hitting everyone up there.
It looks like the symptoms i'm seeing aren't quite the same as the webworms...the grass doesn't look like something is eating it, its just pulling up.
AlaskanAg99
AG
We have sod worms at my house and my dads. Theyre everywhere. You have to use a liquid spray 3x once every 5 days to break the egg cycle. We are using Bifen. My back yard has been hammered and if the neighbors aren't using it then they may just come back. If you walk through your yard and tiny moths scatter...that's the tell tale sign.
Aggie Athlete Involved
AG
Web worms here in katy. tried Bayer advanced, might have watered too much then it rained a lot.
water turkey
Had them in the Woodlands. Treated twice with liquid Triazamine and has worked.
03_Aggie
Might be a dumb question, but do you treat the infected area or the whole yard? We have them and live on 2.5 acres. While I could manage to treat the areas that they've hit, there's a slim chance I can treat the whole place.
Presley OBannons Sword
same here in Katy
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
Might be a dumb question, but do you treat the infected area or the whole yard? We have them and live on 2.5 acres. While I could manage to treat the areas that they've hit, there's a slim chance I can treat the whole place.

Try to treat as much as possible obviously working from the affected areas. The sob webworm moths lay their eggs in the green healthy areas so do your best.
Olag00
AG
I believe this is what is called "looping" with St Augustine grass. I am seeing them now and decided to do some googling. It comes from the stolons not taking root due to either soil being too compacted or getting heavy on pre-emergent.

I did do some pre-emergent about a month ago so it may be that in my case.

Here are a few images of "looping"

Pale Rider
AG
Huh good to know. This happened at our old house, must have been due to the crap soil. Guess I should have tried aerating it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.