Water heater recommendations?

2,218 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ForeverAg
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like my water heater has had its fill of hard San Antonio water. Looking for a replacement. I see Home Despot carries Rheem and Lowe's carries Whirlpool. Any recommendations on brand? Or are they all pretty much the same?

Not interested in going tankless or buying a water softener at this time. Just want to r/r the old water heater.
JP76
Avoid whirlpool. Google whirlpool water heater class action. I've been using Rheem from Home Depot and haven't had any issues in the past 5 years
The Fife
Ours was behind a water softener, but in SA our (gas) Rheem lasted 18 years. On the other hand in the hill country and with no water softener my parents can't seem to get more than about 7 years out of an electric Whirlpool.
213 Grove
AG
Do not go to lowes or Home Depot. Go to a plumbing wholesale such as Moore Supply as they have higher quality heaters for about the same price.
213 Grove
AG
Rheem and other brands make box retailer lines that come with thinner tank walls and built more cheaply. Go to a Moore Supply
Burdizzo
AG
Thanks for the heads up. I found out the water heater had gotten set low (I think it got bumped putting something in that closet). I turned it back to a reasonable betting, and it is good for now.
AlaskanAg08
AG
I'm a fan of the Rheem heaters. I have had great experiences with their gas tanks and I think they are a great buy compared to some of the cheaper brands. I've seen a reduction in the gas bill and they drain well once a year to get the H-Town funk out of them!
ForeverAg
AG
In the future, go to Ferguson and pick you up a Bradford & White. Higher quality components on the interior and I want to say its one of the few brands still made in America. I have a 60 Gallon I believe and paid ~240 for it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.