Has anyone ever installed their own plank wood countertops?

3,104 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by will.mcg
will.mcg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife & I have decided to tackle remodeling our 80s kitchen. Plank wood countertops sound like a very affordable option. I am looking to see if anyone has experience with this sort of project. What type of wood did you use? What was your finish process as far as a "sealer" goes. I do not want to use a soft wood such as pine because I don't think it will hold up. The kitchen project is planned to go in this order: wallpaper removal, paint walls, cabinet repaint & new hardware, Formica countertop & backsplash removal, new countertop installation, backsplash installation.
Max06
AG
I used oak butcher block counter tops from Ikea for my kitchen. They were factory "pre-finished" with oil. After installation, I sanded them thoroughly and soaked with mineral oil for a good week. Now I use Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner quarterly to maintain the finish/seal.

They were very easy to install with a helper. Maintenance is pretty easy, as long as you treat them like wood furniture. Because I have oiled them and not truly sealed/varnished them, they will get water rings if you leave a glass on them or something. But the good news is that you sand it off and re-oil it and they're good to go again.

histag10
AG
we had looked into the ikea prefinished ones like you have, but we found prefab granite counters (that we dont hate), for the same price. We will end up spending the same amount as the wood to have someone come in and miter the joints and cut the sink hole. All in all, we will spend less than 1k (small u shaped kitchen)
Max06
AG
That's an awesome deal. Wood was by far the cheapest for me, even over laminate. The bar is 30" wide which would make it a custom piece from pretty much anywhere.
histag10
AG
quote:
That's an awesome deal. Wood was by far the cheapest for me, even over laminate. The bar is 30" wide which would make it a custom piece from pretty much anywhere.

we were extremely lucky to find it. Its a cream color with flecks of maroon and black. It is running at $200 for an 8' run of counter with the edges done and includes the backsplash piece. They also have white quartz for $250 for an 8' counter.

Menards It is this one, but has maroon flecks when you see it in person.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
Max, I was going to post about how nicely your kitchen turned out!
txag2008
AG
What you have sounds like River White
Max06
AG
Thank you! It's only taken like...six years.
histag10
AG
quote:
What you have sounds like River White

Their website says moon white This is it.

Ikanizer
AG
I built wood countertops out of pine 2x6's for our Colorado cabin. I stained them with General Finishes brand Gel stain and covered that with General Finishes Oil and Urethane topcoat. It looks great and has stood up to the conditions (humidity varies between 80 and 3%, temp varies between 80 and -10F). I was worried about how water would affect it around the sink but so far no visible changes. Total materials cost less than $100. Labor free. If you want more details let me know. Total surface area is about 23ft x 24" wide. 6 segments.
will.mcg
AG
Please share details & pictures
Ikanizer
AG
Ikanizer
AG
[url=.html][/url]

[url=.html][/url]

OK - I figured out how to do it.
I used 2x6's. Ripped the edges off and glued them together. Added 1x2's around the edges. Stained and coated. You have to go through a pretty large stack of 2x6's to select the best planks before you buy them. So far no warping or separation at the seams. I put these in about 2 years ago.
We do not heat the place during the winter unless we are there so the conditions inside the house are extreme.
txag2008
AG
nm, was trying to help with your picture posting
will.mcg
AG
They look great! How did you join the boards? Biscuits?
Ikanizer
AG
I think I used biscuits and pocket hole screws. Wood glue. Lots of pipe clamps. Its not that hard to put the planks together. Cutting the ends off with a skil saw takes some preparation and a good blade. Then I start with a belt sander about 60 or 80 grit and work my way down to 180 grit with an orbital sander. Stain with gel stain from General Finish and cover with oil/urethane same brand. I get it at a Woodcraft store. I have used several products but have the best luck with this. I use a foam brush to apply the oil/urethane finish, 5 or 6 real thin coats. Sand very lightly in between coats with 400 grit paper by hand. The pine is soft and you have to be careful not to put dents in it but this is in a mountain cabin so rustic is OK. No obvious dents, scratches, warping or water damage yet. I have built several tables and desks using the same techniques.
will.mcg
AG
Thanks! I am thinking about finishing with pure tung oil. Do you have any experience with it for a countertop/tabletop surface?
Ikanizer
AG
quote:
Thanks! I am thinking about finishing with pure tung oil. Do you have any experience with it for a countertop/tabletop surface?
I never tried tung oil and don't know anything about it. I use oil/urethane over stain for protection and it looks good.
will.mcg
AG
I have a table I finished with a stain & polyurethan & like the glossy look. I've read that tung oil was used as a waterproofing/sealer on boats in (China?) so I'm thinking it could be good for countertops. Thanks for your input.
will.mcg
AG
Five months later & we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I ended up going with Poplar, staining it & sealing with "Waterlox" which is advertised for many uses including sealing countertops. I will try to post a link to my google album. My wife concocted the stain mixture to get it how she wants it. Shes the brains & I am the sweat. All we have left is to finish finishing the countertops & then backsplash: white subway tile with grey grout.

https://flic.kr/p/RxFbsh
https://flic.kr/p/S4G7aU
https://flic.kr/p/RTH2Xu
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.