Custom Baseboards

1,852 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dubi
awo02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had to remove just under 200' of baseboards in my house. I cannot for the life of me find anything similar in Lowes, HD, Bison, BMC, or another catalog I could get me hands on. Apparently baseboard styles have changed in the past 30 years.

I had a guy give me a bid to make the baseboards to match my existing, paint and install but he wants about $7/ft. Is that a fair price? Im pretty handy but dont own a router, how hard is it to make baseboards? Any other recommendations for someone to get a quote from in BCS?
histag10
AG
what do your baseboards look like?
Satellite of Love
Try contacting a lumber yard in houston. Many do custom baseboards.

Masons Mill and Lumber
Clarks Hardwood
Houston Hardwood

All three do mill work. Not sure of pricing.
JP76
Can you post a picture of the profile ?

What size are the ?

3 1/4
5 1/2?
awo02
AG
These are 4" pine baseboards

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M1U7ej][/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M1U7eE][/url]
histag10
AG
mine are similar (but larger), and are easy to do. we have the 6" board with the top moulding piece on top (finish nailer). Then we have a quarter round on the bottom.

But if yours are custom sized, I would recommend having someone else do them, especially if you dont have a router.

Edit: and $7/linear foot seems a bit high, but again, if they are custom, maybe not.
Flashdiaz
AG
so how many feet are left? maybe it's better to rip them all out and use some more easily accessible.

just a thought.
brush99
AG
I would pigie back on what Flashdiaz said and take it a step further. It is really easy to get something close and and transition inside a bedroom or any other room that is on the other side of a door jam. If you have places where this is not possible, remove baseboard material from a bedroom and use that for the rooms that need to have matching base and then fins something really close for the bedroom. That base that you have is not so unique that you can't find something that is very close.

The reality is that they are going to be VERY FEW people (outside of yourself of course) that would notice something like your baseboards not matching in all rooms... If anyone says something punch them in the junk because that is an A-Hole thing to comment on.
awo02
AG
If this were self contained in a room separated by a door I would get something similar, but there are about thirty feet in a hallway where one side is original that I want to match.
The Fife
Those are not unusual baseboards - I had the same thing in San Antonio. Have you hit up a local lumberyard or two?
civilized05
AG
If you're in Houston, take a piece to Bison. Chances are they've got the profile you need or they can probably point you in the direction of someone who does.
Warrior Poet
AG
If you have a good router table those are easily built
JP76
Have you tried ?

Callaway lumber
Woodsons
Mccoys
dubi
AG
quote:
If this were self contained in a room separated by a door I would get something similar, but there are about thirty feet in a hallway where one side is original that I want to match.
Rip out that last 30'. What does it matter when you already need 200'.
The Fife
quote:
quote:
True, but if you're OCD like me then you'd know you had two different kinds of baseboards in different parts of the house!
AgBank
AG
Just to make you feel better, my house was built in 1900 and there are several different types of base molding. I didn't think that was odd until I read this post.
dubi
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
True, but if you're OCD like me then you'd know you had two different kinds of baseboards in different parts of the house!

We renovated our 1960's house by room. Renovated rooms have updated baseboards and original rooms still have the old baseboards. I sleep soundly at night even with my OCD.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.