Help with landscape lights please!

1,499 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by maverick12
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have 15 landscape spotlights in my yard that need repair. They are Malibu lights with metal housing. I am hoping to basically replace the led and reflector in everyone because all but one of the 15 has at least one led out.

I thought finding the guts for these lights online would be easy but I have had no luck. I plan to go by a local (SA) lighting/electrical shop on Monday. Does anyone here have experience with these lights? I am also not too confident in my soldering skills but if I manage to find the parts that I will have to solder them.

I appreciate any help!

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Can't help you with the lights, but soldering is simple. Don't worry about that part
bam02
AG
Ok so I have given up on repair and have moved on to just replacing these lights. My question now is about the low voltage cable... do I automatically dig it up and replace it with new, or can I re-use the old one? I would ballpark I have between 200-300' of cable.
Gary79Ag
AG
quote:
Ok so I have given up on repair and have moved on to just replacing these lights. My question now is about the low voltage cable... do I automatically dig it up and replace it with new, or can I re-use the old one? I would ballpark I have between 200-300' of cable.
Reuse the old...if it worked with the old, it should work with the new. As the old saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
bam02
AG
Thanks for the reply! I was concerned about the wire insulation punctures from the old clips, but I don't imagine they were exactly waterproof to begin with so hopefully they won't matter.
Bassmaster
AG
I've had to move lights around in the past and the previous puncture marks never have caused issues for me. It may be worth it to wrap them in electrical tape, however.
maverick12
AG
My wire has been in the ground from probably 10 years and has quite a few punctures. It hasn't been a problem thus far.
bam02
AG
Thanks for the reassurance!
sts7049
AG
I'd just tape em up and reuse
ftworthag02
AG
when it comes to malibu just toss them in the trash

we install vista, hadco, and sometimes fx low voltage LED lighting
maverick12
AG
quote:
when it comes to malibu just toss them in the trash

Surprisingly, mine have been pretty reliable and I have a decent number in both front and back. I'm always a fan of buying quality, but it was awful tough to justify the much higher price point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.