Need Help dealing with a Contractor Issue

1,165 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by victory lapper
victory lapper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm paying a contractor to transform a single garage into an apartment and we hit a snag yesterday. We set up the contract to be a flat fee on his end and then I bought all the appliances, fixtures, and flooring. He's done work with me before and I like him.

The situation yesterday is that he started laying floors (peel and stick vinyl plank on concrete) and they weren't sticking like they were supposed to. He was mad as hell about it and kept blaming the cheap flooring I bought and didn't know what to do. I asked what were my options and he offered that I either go buy a stronger adhesive or buy new floors. As I was heading out the door to go to Lowes and by adhesive, he made the comment that he and I would have to figure out something on the side since this will set him and his guys back at least a day maybe two. So basically I'm having to pay for this whole mess.

When I came back from Lowes he was gone but some of his guys were there. I apologized for the whole process not knowing what the right answer was, but the Foreman offered that the humidity is most likely what was causing it. At that point I realized that the AC vents had not been put in yet like my contractor said they'd be. the Foreman thinks this is the main culprit and I agree. I've had this stuff put down in other houses and it worked incredibly well which is why I bought it again. I've reached out to another builder and he agreed that the lack of AC vents and humidity.

So my question now is how do I handle this? If they scrape up the already laid flooring to try it with new adhesive and break some pieces, am I on the line for this? Or should I talk to my contractor first and point out this glaring AC issue.I want to get out in front of this but I also want this job to finish well. The contractor is definitely overbooked as he hasn't been here for many days, just his guys. The job has taken longer than expected which hasn't bothered me and I never held him to a finish date. He's trying like crazy to finish up which is why I think he wants me to pay for the extra days it's taking. But even he told me the AC vents would be necessary to keep the drywall mud intact and help things dry like paint.

Any thoughts on this?
Corps_Ag12
AG
I would never lay floors until I had conditioned air in the space.

Sounds like a mistake on his part with coordination of his contractors that he wants you to pay for.
victory lapper
AG
well, contractor texted me and said he is walking off the job. I even took the old floors up and purchased new floors that he's used before at my house. Dude walked away from a $4000 check and he was literally 2-3 days away from being done.

Should I be worried about anything legally? Since he walked away am I free to look at using someone else? He didn't leave anything at the house and I'm assuming I don't have to pay him anything since he quit.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Screenshot that text, email it to yourself, and print a copy of it for your records!
Corps_Ag12
AG
quote:
Screenshot that text, email it to yourself, and print a copy of it for your records!

This! Make sure you can see his phone number too.

He can technically file a lien on your property if you don't pay him for at least what he's done. I would offer to pay for what was completed if it was satisfactory work, except for the flooring portion of course.
victory lapper
AG
If he texted me and told me he is walking away, how can i be sure that he won't come back and say I owe him any money? I've saved the text message and emailed it to myself (with his number shown).

His contract stated that I would pay $4000 up front for initial costs and then $4000 after the completion of the project pending walkthrough and my approval. So if I keep the contract and his text message should I be fine?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.