Jumper Ducts

2,460 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Olag00
brush99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are people's opinions on jumper ducts? I would like to put some in so that I can close my kids bedroom doors at night without disrupting the airflow. I also feel like doing this would help to move the warm air out of the bedrooms since it rises to the ceiling.

Any experience with them and how do you think they work
Olag00
AG
I can say I am not a fan. Yes they are supposed to help with getting air refreshed when doors are shut and eliminate the "ghost closing" of doors when the AC kicks on but this is my first house with them and it seems to not do a good job of getting the front of the house refreshed. The "front" of the house is furthest away from main return grill.

Its a new construction so I have had the AC people out several times trying to get it to cool down. They even changed one of the jump ducts to actually tie into the main return. That seems to have helped a bit but I would prefer all returns going to unit and not rely on only one main return with a bunch of jump ducts.

I have a single story 3500 or so square feet.
brush99
AG
When they added a return did they go back to the plenum or just tie into the main duct? If they went back to the plenum, did they expand the whole thing to accommodate the additional area needed to tie the duct in?
Olag00
AG
We also have a whole home HEPA filter so they added a "box" in main run where they tied the HEPA filter in to main return. I believe they tied into that box and not the plenum.

They have been out to increase the main duct line from 18" to 20". I can't recall, and the wife's car is parked under the attic access, but I think it was a 10" duct from "jumper duct" to the "box".

Possibly tomorrow I can get up there and check just to make sure how they tied everything in since I get home before she does.
InMyOpinion
quote:
I can say I am not a fan. Yes they are supposed to help with getting air refreshed when doors are shut and eliminate the "ghost closing" of doors when the AC kicks on but this is my first house with them and it seems to not do a good job of getting the front of the house refreshed. The "front" of the house is furthest away from main return grill.

Its a new construction so I have had the AC people out several times trying to get it to cool down. They even changed one of the jump ducts to actually tie into the main return. That seems to have helped a bit but I would prefer all returns going to unit and not rely on only one main return with a bunch of jump ducts.

I'm confused why you would not have a return air in every bedroom for a new construction home of that size. Maybe I'm ignorant but I just built a house and been through 50+ new constructions over the last year and I would say 99% had a minimum 12x12 return in every bedroom/office. I assume that was standard now.
Olag00
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm confused why you would not have a return air in every bedroom for a new construction home of that size. Maybe I'm ignorant but I just built a house and been through 50+ new constructions over the last year and I would say 99% had a minimum 12x12 return in every bedroom/office. I assume that was standard now.
Are you actually seeing the duct connections in attic? There are 12x12 return vents in all the bedrooms but they are "jumpered" to a bigger return vent in a hall way instead of back to furnace. The thinking is the main return would "pull" the air out of the connected rooms via the jumper ducts instead of having dedicated returns. This would also let the air go somewhere instead of getting pressurized in the room when a door is closed. The air would be "pushed" into the hall way.

I had the AC people come out on Saturday and I was telling them about the house cooling too fast and having high humidity levels and they lowered the fan speed. This seems to have helped out a lot. Lowering the speed allows the air conditioner to run longer eliminating more humidity causing the house to feel more comfortable. So my experience with jumper ducts could have been a problem with actual fan speed instead of a jumper duct issue.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.