Remodel permit ?- Energy analysis attn RTT

2,353 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by IDaggie06
MEENag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My contractor is in the process of pulling permits for my remodel. He was told that we needed to have an energy analysis performed in order to get the permits. He contacted a professional engineer who said he would do the job for $500, but when I sent him the drawings he balked and said it was a bigger job than he thought and he would need to get me a new quote.
My question is whether using a professional engineer is overkill for what the city is requiring? Does anyone have any experience with energy analyses for remodels? I suspect this is a fairly new or recently amended requirement for remodels,

The project is a room addition above a garage (with a new dormer in the roof) and 2 added bathrooms in the existing upstairs space. Construction should start in mid October. City of Keller.

I'd appreciate any input before I move forward with the PE.
The Fife
I'm not sure RTT is here any more. Haven't seen him post on TA in a few months now.
Dr.Rumack
Job change w/o TexAgs coverage?
Whitetail
AG
quote:
Job change w/o TexAgs coverage?
That would suck...seriously.
Dr. Doctor
AG
RTT is no more. He got banned, people started (or had) jacked with him at work so he quit.

This was around Mar timeframe.

If you are friend with him on FB, you can ask there.

~egon
Gary79Ag
AG
quote:
RTT is no more. He got banned, people started (or had) jacked with him at work so he quit.

This was around Mar timeframe.

If you are friend with him on FB, you can ask there.

~egon
Was it due to IDaggie06 and his red tagged remodel issue?
If it had anything to do with that, man that totally sucks!
Whitetail
AG
Man, I hope not. That all went down in April of this year, hope it's unrelated.
03_Aggie
His troubles are/were usually tied to the politics board.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I know someone from the tine board called his boss at work and that got him in trouble. It was pretty petty to call someone boss and try to get them fired. But I guess people take the internet way to seriously these days. That was a while back; I want to say around 2008-2009 time frame. Especially since he helped a lot of people after Ike.

I know things settled down, but stuff started flaring up again and this was the last straw.

~egon
rilloaggie
AG
No idea what Keller requires but in Houston you wouldn't need a pe. Look for an energy rating company or a HERS eaters. I can't imagine needing more than what they would provide. New energy codes came into effect today so you probably just need a piece of paper stating that the new addition would be up to the new codes.
UnderoosAg
AG
Keller uses the 2015 IECC, but also references an "energy checklist." The permit requirements list a prescriptive energy form, which is usually REScheck forms.

Try one of these and ask what the energy checklist list is. Post the info here and we might be able to help.

UnderoosAg
AG
quote:
No idea what Keller requires but in Houston you wouldn't need a pe.

Commercial, not residential, but Houston is the only place we've had to seal COMcheck compliance forms.
MEENag
AG
Thanks rillo and Underoos. I'll try to get more info from the permit office, but I definitely won't go any further with the PE at this time.

Sad to hear Ryan isn't around anymore. He was the MVP of the HI board IMO.
04.arch.ag
AG
You can download the comcheck/rescheck software online for free. As mentioned most municipalities aren't required to be sealed by architect or engineer. It's pretty straight forward and really you can find most of the fill in information online if you have a general idea of what materials/ products are being used ( i.e. R values, glass specs, lighting etc). The new 2015 IECC is a lot more stringent especially if they skipped the 2012 and are going from the 2009 version. Leak tests and higher rated materials now required as well as continuous insulation in addition to the batts in the wall cavity.
UnderoosAg
AG
F me, I can't post and watch tv at the same time.

The above should say try one of these

817-743-4110 or buildingservices@cityofkeller.com

MEENag
AG
Yeah, I was confused by that Underoos.
I actually sent an email to that address last night and got this response this afternoon:
If you are converting a non-conditioned space into a conditioned space, then yes, you must submit an Energy Report to the city with your plans that is designed by an Energy Design Professional to the 2015 Energy Code. From my experience $500 or more is a normal price for an energy report.
End Quote

Ugh.
If any one knows an energy design professional, I'm accepting names. My PE isn't emailing me back.
UnderoosAg
AG
IDaggie06
AG
quote:
Was it due to IDaggie06 and his red tagged remodel issue?
If it had anything to do with that, man that totally sucks!

Just saw this thread- RTT leaving had zero to do with me (at least that I know of). Other than that thread, I only talked to him once on phone and we exchanged a few emails when he was trying to help me. I didn't have anything against him. I never brought his name up to anybody nor did I have any reason to. I don't even know what he did for the city, what his position was, or who he worked for.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.