Dispute with contractor...what could REALLY happen?

7,381 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bmc13
bdgol07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the job is done... See below.

There are two things that need to be done, burying drain lines in the front yard, and he wants a check tomorrow.

I told him I was not wanting to pay him until he came back in two weeks as he had said he would to correct any settling. He of course flew off the handle.

What's the move here?
Pay and be done in hopes of never seeing him again?
Let him file and take any chances that way?
Canyon99
Looks like a DIY job.
EMY92
AG
The second you give him the final payment is the last time you'll ever see him.

The anger is good for goading people into caving in and paying, but it doesn't mean that he'll honor his word.
bdgol07
AG
Oh yea I'm aware of that, my thing is, is that considered a complete job with the history they have on this job
sts7049
AG
congrats on your new pool
Gary79Ag
AG
quote:
congrats on your new pool
Yeah, that and he better get regularly scheduled termite treatments performed as the flagstone and crushed granite materials appear to be at or above the brick line from what I can tell by the pic above.

Pic on the previous page showed the materials were below the brick line whereas the current finished product show it at or above...so between water penetration during big rains and termites, that appears to be a disaster in the making!
AgEngineer72
AG
That's crushed granite around the flagstone? Sorry, I thought it looked like black gumbo clay.
zurcaled11
AG
Any update?
sts7049
AG
sorry OP, but this pic makes me lol every time i see it.
tgivaughn
AG
Assuming he got close, you may be obligated to pay ~85%, reserving the rest until your "Punch List" is completed. If he takes too long or doesn't return after BBB calls him, then that money saved may pay another to finish up.

You can find the bones of such contracts in standard AIA contracts on line or library ... until you seek a construction specialty lawyer.
lotsofhp
AG
Man, I'm sorry you had to go through all of that just for it to come out bad. Any update?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Fur future reference, it's not out of the question to withhold 10% of payment (retainage) until you are completely satisfied with the job. Let this be known up front, but definitely do it.
bmc13
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.