Timeless vs dated styles

31,431 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GoneGirl
Ornlu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want your opinion HI board.

You know those home design features that just date a particular home to a period? A house that as soon as you walk in with your realtor, you think "Oh, no. This has got to go." 60's shag carpet. 70's wood paneling. 80's mirrors everywhere. I think we've all seen one. They're trends of little staying power who's appeal has long faded.

On the other hand, every now and then a new trend comes along with staying power. Spray-foam insulation, engineered wood floors, high ceilings, GFCI outlets, pex plumbing, etc. They're design features which will benefit the early adopters.

Which current trends will be badly outdated in 10 years, and which trends will be valuable forever?

A few of my personal opinions:
1) Faux wood tile is a loser. 20 years from now, you'll cringe when you view a home with it.
2) Raw-material looks (rough hewn stone, unfinished cabinet doors, stack-stone interior walls, etc) will be a defining, valuable trend for the next decade or so.
3) The beige-colored everything trend need to go. It's still a desirable item at sale, but WTF wants to live in such a snoozefest?
Satellite of Love
I hope the townhome fad goes away along with turrets on "high-end" homes.
LostInLA07
AG
I think the well done wood tile will stay because of the increased durability. The cheap looking stuff with grout lines that look like tile will look dated though.
The Fife
IMO something that fits the architecture of a house will become timeless once it reaches a certain age. Some individual elements within the building may become outdated and need more minor changes, but in the larger scheme of things it can hold up pretty well without major remodeling.

Victorian decor in a house obviously built that way during the right time period
A craftsman look in a 1910s-1920s house
Modern in something from the 1950s-1970s

However, the overwhelming majority of housing stock is not built with any strong architectural style in mind whatsoever (and wasn't in years past either) so it is really not subject to having a timeless look. Some trends may stick around longer than others but unless an extremely long period of time passes where the place is kept up well without any significant changes it will still be subject to looking outdated and unattractive until certain elements become interesting purely due to age. For example, you'd be crazy to paint or pull out all of the molding in an average arts and crafts house or to cover up the mosaic tile on the bathroom floor now but 40 years ago to most it seemed like a great idea. I'm starting to see it now with average 1950s-60s ranches keeping pink bathrooms.
maverick12
AG
Although not necessarily that common, maybe the industrial loft style?

Every improvement we made to our house early was done very neutral with re-sale in mind. Very boring. We have changed and now make changes based on what we like and not what we think will be in style in 5, 10, or 20 years.
MGS
When we bought our home 15 years ago, I thought that the stainless appliances they were putting in new builds was just a fad. Boy, I was wrong about that one.

You left off the 90's: Brass fixtures
Aggietaco
AG
Except brass is back now.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
On the other hand, every now and then a new trend comes along with staying power. Spray-foam insulation, engineered wood floors, high ceilings, GFCI outlets, pex plumbing, etc. They're design features which will benefit the early adopters.
Not to nitpick, but those aren't styles, just advances in methods of construction.

And I agree with Fife, the styles that will always have lasting appeal are the ones that fit the construction. Complete interior fake shiplap in a tract home isn't going to last, craftsman molding in a modern build will always look weird to me, and I think feature walls in general will look faux pas before too long (unless tied into the home's design).
The Fife
quote:
Although not necessarily that common, maybe the industrial loft style?

Every improvement we made to our house early was done very neutral with re-sale in mind. Very boring. We have changed and now make changes based on what we like and not what we think will be in style in 5, 10, or 20 years.
Assuming it was built accordingly I could see it. Now if someone took the same space and French Country'd it up that would look out of date within 5 years because it's completely out of its element.
Ornlu
AG
You're right, those are techniques. But so is wood tile, and so is wood paneling.

I agree that the pink/blue tiled bathrooms in a ranch style home are starting to be considered timeless. I'm sorry, but wood paneling will never be classic - it will always be torn out any time a remodel is done.

What about built-in shelves and desks?

Fad, or timeless?

Ornlu
AG
Oh, and do ya'll think 10+ foot ceilings is here to stay? Or will we be back to 8-foot by 2030?
The Fife
quote:
Except brass is back now.
Only not the 1990s-early 2000s plated, polished to within an inch of its life version. But that brings up a good point, the real version of brass never really went out IMO. Again in the right setting, but I've never seen door or window hardware in a house built before the 1960s that was made from actual brass and thought that it looked outdated. Especially door hardware that's mortised in but there's a depth to the real material whether finished or left to oxidize that the fake stuff never had. Plus the weight and feel of the genuine article compared to the fake.

Hopefully minor hoarding of the real thing will pay off... I have places where I plan on using nearly all of it anyway.
Aggietaco
AG
Wood tile or paneling aren't techniques, those are materials. Similar to engineered wood in your original example except that engineered wood looks exactly like solid hardwood when not cheapened.

Built-ins, just like everything else, will be timeless if they fit the home. In your example, I'm betting those have some staying power. Having DR Horton slap some laminate monstrosity in a master bath is another story and will likely look bad from the start.

One other thing that your picture reminded me of is minuscule base molding. My 1970's ranch has some of it left, but whoever thought that 2" base looked good and still buys it at HD was wrong.
The Fife
quote:
You're right, those are techniques. But so is wood tile, and so is wood paneling.

I agree that the pink/blue tiled bathrooms in a ranch style home are starting to be considered timeless. I'm sorry, but wood paneling will never be classic - it will always be torn out any time a remodel is done.

What about built-in shelves and desks?

Fad, or timeless?

Fad, already out IMO along with desktop and tower PCs and especially where the desk faces a wall. Edit: And anything built in TV related. Sizes keep going up and chasing anything technology is like catching a falling knife unless it's the kind of thing that would be out of view.

Paneling can be a good thing when in the correct element but you get into a real vs. fake consideration again. The stuff put up on the bottom half of the walls in our den in 1970 is fake and is absolutely coming out. The real thing on the other hand makes sense in the right setting.

JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Timeless = we use it in our house
Dated = somebody else used it in their house

Corps_Ag12
AG
I don't care what anyone says, this is timeless to me.

The Fife
That seems to pull together pretty well. Adding decorating elements could make it either timeless or dated, but the room itself is just fine IMO. I think that's a pretty good example.

(and no we don't use it in our house :p)
03_Aggie
quote:
I don't care what anyone says, this is timeless to me.

And dated to me. We didn't rip ours out but we did paint it. Ours was also honey oak colored. It might have stood a chance if it was stained darker.
Quad Dog
AG
Formal dining rooms seem to be on the decline.
LostInLA07
AG
I've started to see "hearth rooms" in some new homes...basically casual dining room with a fireplace several feet off of the ground (table height). Seems really stupid to me.
Ornlu
AG
quote:

That's not what I'm saying at all. There are things that I think are beautiful/desirable but I acknowledge others may not like. Example, I LOVE glass block:

But it's so dated, I would never try to claim others should like it.

Then there's the 80's mirror walls. I had one in college; they're atrocious. No one should like them.

Then there's items which didn't used to be popular but all of a sudden are the IT thing, and will never go out of style. Granite counter tops for example. ?10-ft ceilings?
Furlock Bones
AG
i was just thinking about faux wood tile actually and that i think in few years we'll all look back and ask why.

CapCity12thMan
AG
faux wood tile is the acid wash jeans of interior design
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Oh, and do ya'll think 10+ foot ceilings is here to stay? Or will we be back to 8-foot by 2030?
For the resale value of my 1983 home, I am hoping 8ft makes a comeback.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Our breakfast nook can handle our table that can seat 12.

Formal dining is kids' playroom.

Wasting 1/8th of our house on a room that gets eaten in twice a year seems beyond idiotic.
Quinn
AG
quote:
quote:

Wasting 1/8th of our house on a room that gets eaten in twice a year seems beyond idiotic.
Totally agree with this. I'm so glad that the house we bought didn't have one. Such a waste.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Totally agree with this. I'm so glad that the house we bought didn't have one. Such a waste.
I actually want to tear out the wall separating my kitchen and dining room and make it all kitchen+nook when the kids are a little older. Then expand the tiny laundry room to take over the breakfast nook and have a craft room for my wife in there.

We have two living rooms, so can make one for the kids and one for me.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
quote:

That's not what I'm saying at all. There are things that I think are beautiful/desirable but I acknowledge others may not like. Example, I LOVE glass block:

But it's so dated, I would never try to claim others should like it.

Then there's the 80's mirror walls. I had one in college; they're atrocious. No one should like them.

Then there's items which didn't used to be popular but all of a sudden are the IT thing, and will never go out of style. Granite counter tops for example. ?10-ft ceilings?

Wasn't saying it to anyone in particular - just a joke to point out it is so subjective.

I think it's a good discussion, but at the end of the day different folks like different things so I don't think there's a definitive answer. A lot of the stuff will depend on what you're doing with it and how you decorate.

I'm horrible at all that.
TooTall 06
AG
I think granite / marble countertops are becoming a bit overdone. They may not go out of style in a well thought out design...however, I think they have reached an oversaturation point.

beanbean
I was going to scrape the popcorn ceilings in my 1982 house, but I just think I'll wait it out until that comes back in style. Should be any day now.
Gary79Ag
AG
quote:
I was going to scrape the popcorn ceilings in my 1982 house, but I just think I'll wait it out until that comes back in style. Should be any day now.
Wishful thinking!
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Sliding barn doors.
FincAg
AG
I read an article about how wide open concept designs are becoming less desired. I guess not everyone wants to cook, eat, relax in the same room.
RogerEnright
Interesting and timely for me.

I am about to spend $40-$60k opening my kitchen. It is about entertaining to my wife and me. We purchased our house just over a month ago. The paperwork says 1920, the heritage plaque says 1924. The kitchen is tiny. We hope to combine kitchen, kitchen nook, mud room and dining area.

While I don't want a loft style kitchen / living area, I do want to entertain people and prepare food at the same time.
RogerEnright
quote:
Sliding barn doors.
Agreed.

I would add anything made with industrial pipe or pallets.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.