Anyone have a farmhouse sink?

7,732 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 62strat
Coach823
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're beginning a new build and my wife wants a white farmhouse sink. We've been told to get fireclay rather than ceramic. Anyone have any brands they recommend? Looking at about 30" wide, 18" length, 8-10" deep. Thanks!!
Bottlerocket
AG
we have a stainless steel on. love it. we'lol never go back to a divided sink. don't know the brand. it's 14 inches deep. 8 inches deep seems a bit shallow
03_Aggie
We are redoing our kitchen and our contractor recommended Blanco for our sink. We originally thought we'd do a farmhouse but will most likely end up with the below silgranit single bowl sink.

http://www.blanco-germany.com/en_us/en_us/sinks/product_catalog/sink.html?sid=1383240189934_1387463803980&filter=true

They do make a fireclay farmhouse though:

http://www.blanco-germany.com/en_us/en_us/sinks/material_options/fireclay_sink/fireclay.html
Josepi
AG
We also have a stainless farmhouse sink and love it. If your interested, I can take a pic and get the brand.
dodger02
AG
We have a stainless divided one. We love the setup. It's a Yosemite. Already has a hairline crack on the top edge that only my wife notices. It'll eventually get replaced. I have a beige-ish grantite countertop, but I'd like to find a porcelain or ceramic one that'd look nice.
62strat
AG
We have a cast iron sink, doesn't drape over front like a farmhouse, but looks similar. It's one basin, I love it as well. It's more like 12" deep. 8" does seem really shallow.
The Fife
quote:
We are redoing our kitchen and our contractor recommended Blanco for our sink. We originally thought we'd do a farmhouse but will most likely end up with the below silgranit single bowl sink.

http://www.blanco-germany.com/en_us/en_us/sinks/product_catalog/sink.html?sid=1383240189934_1387463803980&filter=true

They do make a fireclay farmhouse though:

http://www.blanco-germany.com/en_us/en_us/sinks/material_options/fireclay_sink/fireclay.html

We have a Silgranit single bowl and love it. It shows no stains or scratches whatsoever and it's silent. Not farmhouse though, that's the opposite from our decor.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Una mas for silgranite. We have one of these:

It's very quiet, nothing to rust, and if you leave dishes in it for a few days and get outlines on the surface a magic eraser takes care of it in 10 seconds.
CapCity12thMan
AG

quote:
if you leave dishes in it for a few days

wow
Josepi
AG
This is a picture from Amazon, but It's the sink we have. It came with grates for the bottom of the sink which I initially thought I would hate and throw away. Ended up loving them. It keeps dishes off the bottom of the sink which drastically reduces the maintenance, cleaning and potential to scratch.

Ryan the Temp
AG
I have the IKEA Domsjo sink and I love it.

(this is not my kitchen)
03_Aggie
quote:

(this is not my kitchen)
Dang it. I was going to ask you what your counter tops were.

I will ask Adam Ag 98....do you happen to know which granite yours are?

The Fife
quote:

(this is not my kitchen)
Too bad, because those are some awesome cabinet doors!
Ryan the Temp
AG
This is the only pic of my kitchen I have readily available:

Streetfighter 02
AG
I put this sink in my house in Dallas. I really liked the depth and width of a single bowl. The drain is all the way to one side so you can set glasses/cups in there without the slope becoming an issue. This is the Kohler Whitehaven sink in Palermo Blue. The color is no longer available.

Edit: I also really loved the undermount sink. I could just wipe the counters straight into the sink with no issue after cooking or just normal cleanup.

jtp01
AG
We have a copper farmhouse sink. It looks great and we love the single basin.
MAS444
AG
We have a stainless single basin farmhouse and I'll never go back to double basin. However, the front of the sink does get scratched up quite a bit. I might not get the apron front if I did it again.
txag2008
AG
All of those with the single basin, what's the biggest benefit? I don't feel strongly about either, I'm just trying to figure how what so many people like about them.
MAS444
AG
Basically I can just fit bigger stuff in them. I cook a lot and use large pots/pans and cutting boards. I couldn't fit my large cutting boards in a 2 basin sink. Just a lot more room. I don't really see the point in having 2 basins unless you don't have a dishwasher and wash/rinse all of your dishes in the sink.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I'm not one to leave a ton of dirty dishes in the sink, but if I had people over and didn't want to wash immediately or had a party all of the dishes and glassware could fit in the sink. A large skillet would sit on the bottom of the sink allowing me to soak it if needed. I can't do that in a split sink. Mine was also deep enough you couldn't see the few glasses I might let sit until I created enough dishes to warrant washing them.
Matsui
AG
Get the small divide
Garrelli 5000
AG
That's not my kitchen, just the same sink

Regarding leaving dishes in the sink - I'll leave them overnight occasionally if I cooked and don't feel like unloading the dishwasher before putting the dishes in. I'll rinse them off and store in the sink.

Or if I rinse a coffee mug, set it in the sink, then go out of town a couple of days. You end up with a ring on the sink. Magic eraser takes it off. On stainless you could end up with rust.
justsomeguy
AG
We have a white single deep basin farmhouse sink with the front lip that I believe you're looking for. It was here when we bought the house. Looks to be ceramic and does have a couple very small chips in it(which is why I'm thinking its ceramic). We love it. It does take a few extra seconds to wash everything down the disposal because theres no slope but not a big deal whatsoever. Make sure you account for the front lip in the sink when designing your cabinets because previous homeowner didn't and the little cabinet drawer to the left of it hits the sink so will barely open much at all.
The Fife
quote:
Basically I can just fit bigger stuff in them. I cook a lot and use large pots/pans and cutting boards. I couldn't fit my large cutting boards in a 2 basin sink. Just a lot more room. I don't really see the point in having 2 basins unless you don't have a dishwasher and wash/rinse all of your dishes in the sink.
Same reason for here. Pots/pans can also lie flat on the bottom.
tmaggie50
AG
I just installed a farmhouse single bowl sink from Ikea. Ikeas two choices for farmhouse sinks seem to be drastically cheaper than anywhere else I could find online.
Hagen95
AG
When we redid our counters, my wife wanted a farmhouse sink and searched forever. She finally settled on the Kraus stainless model. We got the single bowl version of what Josepi posted. It came with the grates in the bottom, which I have grown to love.
Josepi
AG
I love those grates too. When I took the sink out of the box, I almost threw them away. I just thought they were worthless. I ended up putting the grate in just to give it a trial run, and now I absolutely love them.

Now the little black towel that came with the sink...that did get thrown away.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
We switched to a large single basin sink earlier this year and will NEVER go back to a divided sink. Ever.
AggieFactor
AG
Got ours from Signature Hardware and love it.

BEaggie08
AG
For those of you who replaced your divided sink with a single basin undermount - how hard was it to install the new undermount or how much did it cost for install? I want to replace my divided stainless with a single basin undermount granite sink.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
Put this one in when we redid our kitchen late last year.

(not my kitchen)
AggieLong
AG
I have a Shaws sink as well.

I also love the metal grate. It really protects the sink from scratches and dings.
62strat
AG
Since everyone has pics now...

As said before, you can fit anything in a large single basin. My gas stove has two large cast iron grates, those can fit in there to clean.. large pots, pans, etc.. Unless you like to fill up a side with soapy water or something, I don't see the need for a smaller bin. All of our dishes go from sink to dishwasher.

And the comments of dishes in the sink for a few days and still easy to clean??? Dirty dishes in the sink for a few days.. really? We rarely go to bed without emptying the sink in to the dishwasher.. that's kinda gross. If we do, they go in the next morning.

This sink is 30" x 16" x 10" deep (11" to the counter surface and almost 20" to the faucet head). Can put a huge pot in there to fill.

Comet easily gets out any markings from pots or pans.

This is a Kohler cast iron sink.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I said I rinse them first...
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Interested why yall didn't opt for a negative reveal on the counter over the sink?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.