Energy Ogre

125,664 Views | 643 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BourbonAg
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just found out about this service and had to signup immediately. $10/month and they look at actual and historic usage of your home and they scroll thru the energy providers and switch you around as they see fit to save you the most money. I got locked into a stupid expensive plan from reliant because I was way busy with work and didn't have time to shop around. They do all the leg work and put you on auto pay so you don't have to do anything. I don't work for them, just found something awesome that is going to save me a lot of cash and wanted to spread the word.
mm98
AG
I just heard about them todaY. Have they been around for a while with a decent track record? What happens if they go out of business?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
When I signed up I talked to the VP on the phone for about 20 minutes. They have been in business for 2 years, have about 1000 subscribers right now but just started advertising a lot, signed on Michael berry to advert for them. They used to own Amigo energy then sold it, found out that their friends had a difficult time figuring out PowerToChoose.com so the owners sat down and figured out that it is very difficult to figure it out and what the website shosw isn't what you pay. They decided to go thru every single company and create true costs including all fees, then they check the market every day on every account to see if they can find you the absolute best deal available, even if that means possibly paying to get out of a contract if will save more money later. They only make money off of subscribers and you have a money back guarantee, so if everyone drops them they are SOL but it also forces them to give a very high level of customer service. They pulled my service for the last 12 months and compared it to what their other customers were paying while on their service and I overpaid about $1200. Kinda make me sick, I felt like I was getting a pretty decent deal with Reliant until my contract expired and I was too busy to shop the market and their "best and only" deal was some 18 month crap with higher rates, but that high rate was less than my out of contract price and I didn't have time to mess with it. Their service is worth the $120/year to me if I'm going to save even $500.

If they go out of business you will still be signed up with your current provider, then you will go back to picking your providers as usual.

You can set up your preferences for auto pay or renewable and you give them your info and they sign you up with the companies. They will create a username and password and act upon your behalf to move you around as they see fit. I set mine to auto pay preferred and they moved me out of reliant and into Cirro with a 6 month plan. I got en email from Cirro with my new account number and autopsy confirmation. If I needed or wanted my login info I can call energy ogre and get that info. They are working on making a customer profile page on their site that will give you your customer login info for your current provider and keep track of all the changes and how much money you have saved but it isn't quite finished yet.

They try to get the summer rates locked in around marchish when it is cheaper then after September they try to go back to a month to month and shop around for the cheapest available.

You should call them or watch the video on their site. The reps are very very helpful and they will answer all your questions.
txag2008
AG
Sounds like a really neat idea for a service but I wouldn't ever use it myself or recommend it to others since one can do the same thing in 30min.

It's just a matter of looking at your past 12-24mo of monthly kWh data and applying the charges lined out from the energy facts label to see which plan is most advantageous for your consumption. That said, I realize most people don't do this (for whatever reason...) and I guess that's why this service is a good option for some
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
It's a matter of time for me. I get busy with work and life and then all the sudden I'm out of contract and my rates double and I get locked into a bad contract. Then there needs to be a base level of knowledge to navigate power to choose and understanding of fees. I could comb thru the offers every few months and keep track of all that but when I'm working 60-80 hours a week, on the road 45-60k miles a year, keeping up with 2 kids under 5 and being involved in my community and church plus house chores and projects I would spend $10/month to let someone do that stuff for me without a second thought. It saves me time and money.
Duncan Idaho
I would live to see the data on the effect "deregulation"actually had on the average user.

I am willing to bet it was a net loss for the average customer when you factor in transition costs And time spent trying to find the best deal.
powerbiscuit
They have 1000 subscribers and make $120 per year per account? How can they make enough money to stay in business?
Duncan Idaho
1000 paying subscribers for a new start up isn't bad.

When they told him they had been around for 2 years, he most likely meant he and the other founders starting working on the idea two years ago.

double aught
AG
The little nerd ogre on their site thinks he can save me $880 over the next 12 months. I feel like I'm pretty good about looking for the best deals when my contract runs out every year or two, but I don't study the rates constantly. I may give these guys a try.

They don't take Amex, which is a slight bummer.
Nomad
AG
If you are locked into a contract - what will they do?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Depends on the contract, your rate, end your early termination fees. I was in a bad contract with reliant with a high early termination fee and the VP showed me my savings then calculated the fees and the service fee for them and showed me my potentional savings and it was way way worth it to cancel.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
On the AMEX deal, they used to accept it but found out that several energy companies don't accept Amex. The VP said you could set it up for Amex only if you want but you would have to call them then you could specify you only want to do business with companies that accept Amex.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
double aught
AG
That makes sense.
Nomad
AG
If you are using powertochoose to compare or a site like that- you are likely over paying.

Energy ogre finds rates that don't even seem to be published.

For example - power to choose claims about 8 cents is the cheapest in my area energy ogre signed me up for a plan that is 6 cents.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I was unable to find a deal as good as they found me also. Got me 6 cents on a 2000kwh plan for 6 months, best I could find was 7 cents.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Estimates a saving off about $300 over the next 12 months for me but I am under a contract till next March so I doubt it would save me any money after the ETF and monthly fee.

Watchlisted for later though.
Wildmen2007
AG
Just signed up, looks promising.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
how much is you early termination fee? Mine was $225 with reliant but so far I haven't gotten a bill for it. I got my final bill for my usage and they called me last night to see if they could get me back but I haven't gotten a bill...yet.
Nomad
AG
The new plan energy ogre signed me up for has the following rates:

1000 kWh: $0.056
2000 kWh: $0.06

I can't really find that deal anywhere online.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Where do you live?

They got me this deal on a 6 month contract, which is better than what I could find online also.

1000 kWh: $0.067
2000 kWh: $0.062

Im in Victoria.
Nomad
AG
DFW
mneisch
AG
Cool idea. When I entered in my info they said they couldn't help me save any money. Guess I locked in a pretty good rate.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Just got my first bill with Cirro, saved me $90 from my bills when with reliant. Never got a termination fee either.
MAS444
AG
I exchanged a few emails with the owner and they never got back to me.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Email Chris

cfinley@energyogre.com
MAS444
AG
He and another person were already copied on my emails with the owner. I provided them with some information they were asking for and they never got back with me. Not that big of a deal as I'm happy with my current rate...and I'm assuming they lost interest because they couldn't do any better. But I'm not going to chase them down to potentially give them business.
MrJonMan
AG
quote:
He and another person were already copied on my emails with the owner. I provided them with some information they were asking for and they never got back with me. Not that big of a deal as I'm happy with my current rate...and I'm assuming they lost interest because they couldn't do any better. But I'm not going to chase them down to potentially give them business.

I'm not going to beg you to take my money.....that's what my dad always told me
MrJonMan
AG
I looked into this....didn't seem worth it. 15-20min of my time, I can find the same competitive rate they offer, for free.
PetroAg87
AG
They couldn't find any better deals than I already have. So for now, I'll continue checking the plans myself every few months and save the $120/year. However I can certainly see this being a valuable service for my parents and others who would prefer to not have to worry about what electric provider they are using...
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
A friend recently pointed me to Group Rate Electric which is a similar service. Wondering if one is better than the other at this point.
Nomad
AG
This is false for a lot of people. The rate they got me was not even on the provider's website (nor was it on any comparison site).
Whitetail
AG
I'm in a regulated power market
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Same for me. My rate was $.02 lower than the lowest advertised rate on powertochoose
Diggity
AG
Who are all these companies that are giving great rates but not publishing them? Seems to be counter-intuitive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.